“DEVINE!!!”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

gardenia0...
brisbane
“DEVINE!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying here with my family daughter/son-in-law and my three grandchildren. We all had the most wonderful experience on so many levels. The staff are beautiful, kind and thoughtful people how go the extra mile.
The food is pure Balinese as it should be.
This is rural Bali with the accompanying culture. I'm thrilled that the children have had such a wonderful introduction to Bali. We were there during the preparations for Sawaswati so Gamelan practices were heard over the rice paddies. Much nicer than the tram going past my place. And fireflies in the rice paddies at night. Our joy was to count them each night.
Then there was kite flying in the afternoons but we weren't as successful as the Balinese at this. Still there's ways next time. Thank you to each and every one of you. Staff, fireflies, geckos and gamelans made Bali come to life.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Clare J
Sydney, Australia
“We can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 16 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

So many reviews of Villa Vajra mention the word paradise and there is no better way to describe it. We stayed for 11 nights and could have stayed forever. My entire family feel in love with the place and its beautiful, kind and generous staff. I am so thankful to Joel, Gusti and the entire Villa Vajra team for giving our family a holiday we will never forget. We can't wait to get back to you all.

Linda H
“Never ever again”
Reviewed 15 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

Ok I must have been dropped off at the wrong Villa. Yes location ok (particularly if you enjoy howling dogs, crowing roosters at 3pm, non stop geckos barking yes barking)

1. One of the toilets was blocked the entire time.
2. Another toilet leaked the entire time.
3. Large ants fell from the roof.
4. Continual mossi's we ended up buying our own coils.
5. Staff always there, never left alone ever in the villa, some might like that but sorry I payed for privacy.
6. Staff member hawking art to my mother and daughter then guilted them into handing over nearly a million rupiah.
7. Hidden prices in food like paying for use of butter and tomato sauce.
8. Small portions of food and overpriced.
9. 30% service charge on top of food.
10. Oh and did I mention the noise, good lord I could have slept better at a rock concert.

Now I'm not a fussy person, I do like a bit of fancy occasionally, I've stayed at Club Med Nusa Dua and Febris and Bali Dynasty Kuta. However at $620 a night I would have expected a little more than this. I am amazed at the previous reviews, maybe you guys had a much better experience I am not sure. However I would strongly recommend not to book here if you are expecting the luxury you have payed for. I am bitter at the whole experience.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
18 Oct 2014
We take guest feedback very seriously and I would like to address the issues raised by our guest. We, too, wondered why these issues were so different from the overwhelming positive feedback that is already posted on the site, and investigated all the criticism to determine whether any misunderstandings could have contributed to the (resulting) dissatisfaction.
First of all we are in rural Bali where one hears animal sounds, from barking dogs to roosters and chattering geckoes.
​1.​ These guests stayed with us for 2 nights and I am assured by our manager that the toilet in question was fully functional the first night and was clogged with excessive toilet paper the second day. We waited until after their departure to fix the toilet which required several hours for a plumber to completely remove the toilet to access the blockage.
​2.​ We have been unable to find any "leaks" in any of the other toilets.
3.​ ​We live in the tropics and cannot prevent all insects, especially ants from appearing. We do our best to minimize their impact.
4​​.​ ​This is "dry season" and mosquitoes are not a serious problem. We have a mosquito control "fogging" done on a regular basis year round and place mosquito coils and anti mosquito electric plugs all around the villa every evening in the living/dining area and all ​of the bedrooms.
​5​.​ ​T​here​ are so many issues that she brings up that were discussed at length when new guests arrive. I checked with the manager and apparently she became preoccupied with one of her children while he was doing the introduction to the villa rooms and procedures and left her husband to listen to the manager's talk.
When guests check in he carefully goes over the villa with them and always tells the guests that should they like to have privacy the staff will certainly respect that and keep a very low profile. Generally speaking, guests like to know that staff is around and often enjoy relating to members of our staff but the other extreme sometimes happens and our staff only appears when they are asked. They are professionals and are very discreet.
I am told by our manager that these guests had their own driver who spent a great deal of time in the villa with the guests. {I'm not sure of the accuracy of the driver spending time down in Vajra... I only saw him go down there when he was announcing that he was here to take the trip they had planned. If they needed more privacy .... as the manager had already explained in his initial talk, they had only to request it.
​6.​ ​One of our villa attendants is a painter and was engaged by some of the guests in a conversation about his and other paintings in the area. His uncle has a painting shop a few kilometers down the road where his and other painters are exhibited and the guests went there and asked that some paintings be brought to the villa so that they could see the work in a relaxed atmosphere. They apparently selected 3 pictures for a total of Rupiah 720,000 or ​$70 U.S. ​not the "nearly a million Rupiah" as they complained...but that isn't so far from a million.... there was NO pressure on them, but the staff member going out of his way for their convenience in not having to take another trip to the gallery.
7, 8 and 9. As carefully explained to them on arrival,
Like most villas in Bali we operate on what is called "grocery list" when it comes to food service. Breakfasts are free. Certain items are clearly pointed out on our breakfast menu as having an extra charge like bacon, ham and eggs Benedict. When guests order lunch and/or dinner they pay for the cost of the ingredients plus a 30% preparation fee. This is standard procedure in all villas. There are no hidden charges. We break down the costs of all the ingredients and guests are presented with the figures. We have never had any of our guests raise objection before. In fact most people rave about the wonderful food we serve and the bargain it is considering the quality and freshness of the ingredients and the large selections offered. If they were served an inadequate portion they had only to ask for more.... as they were paying for it.
10.​ ​We live in a traditional Balinese village. A few rice fields to our north is one of the village temples where from time to time the Gamelan Orchestra rehearses or performs as part of a religious ceremony. I live here on the property and know for a fact that the nights in question were evenings that the Gamelan was rehearsing for a performance they were to give in Ubud a few days later. They stopped by 10pm both nights. One of the joys of living here or visiting our village is that one gets to hear the magical sounds of the gamelan from time to time. The rich culture is why we are here after all.
Sophie C
Saint brieuc
“un petit coin de paradis!”
Reviewed 11 October 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Wonderfull house and staff! We were 2 families with 4 young kids and a baby. The bedrooms are very spacious, the bathroom look like paradise...
For the kids, it was the house in the jungle but without critters or insects !
And the staff is just perfect, don't need to eat outside, the cook is like a 4 stars place!
The house is also well placed to see lots of things around Ubud.
clik without regret!!

Trovamiqu...
Melbourne, Australia
“Return to paradise.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Our second time at Villa Vajra (within 12 months!) was just as spectacular as our first. We were welcomed back by the gorgeous villa staff and owners as though old friends and we enjoyed every second of our 5 night stay. Having undertaken a few side trips and cultural excursions on our last trip, we were content to stay put at the villa for much of our time. However, we did do a few trips into Ubud with the ever-obliging villa manager, Gusti and our girls spent a lot of time with Narie, Gusti's wife and their beloved babysitter. In fact, their reunion with Narie was pretty much the highlight of their trip! She kept them beautifully occupied with fun games, swimming, craft, exploration and massages.
As always, the food prepared by Made and Ketut was spectacular. We re-requested one of our previous favourites, jackfruit curry, and were delighted to see Widi (one of the lovely house staff) hacking down a jackfruit from one of the trees in the garden - doesn't get fresher or more local than that.
Joel and Nirgrantha are the very best hosts and gave us a fabulous recommendation for a new restaurant in Ubud, Locavore, which we loved. They also arranged for us to get some wonderful biodynamic Balinese coffee from ethical growers in Kintamani. The perfect take-home souvenir.
The villas surrounds are as spectacular as ever and it was great to see the beautiful new ironwood path across the rice paddies, soon-to-be vine-laden pergola and beginnings of the organic garden. Nirgrantha's particular passion for the gardens is infectious and impressive.
Meditating in the wooden bale in the garden at dawn as the sun rises through the palm trees on the ridge beyond, the tok tok of the temple drum calls people to prayer and the jungle slowly comes to life rates as one of the most atmospheric, uplifting and memorable experiences I've ever had.
Gracious hosts and staff in a spectacular villa in a lovely little village in the hills. This is Bali at its best.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$600
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing