living room Bar
Terrible
living room
Bar
Drawing room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

DrAJ2020
Kottayam, India
“Terrible and Humiliating”
Reviewed 3 March 2020 for a stay in February 2020
person found this review helpful

I would like to say the only one positive aspect that this house is close to Kottayam and it is convenient in terms of the location.

Now the hard realities:

1. This house is definitely not brand new as it is advertised (the owner himself told me that I was the 63rd guest!) and the photos shown in the advertisement must have taken when the house was just built. The amenities and the room furnishing has changed considerably. It is just a normal house built with a cunning attitude of renting out until the owner decides to either stay himself or sell it to someone else in the future. The items looked neat were the Television (no cable connection, you have to recharge the Jio wifi provided by yourself!), the remotes, the dining table (but not the chairs!), the area in the kitchen (tea table, washbasin, and the gas stove only - the cupboards were looking fine from outside but was horrible inside, fully dusty and clumsy) and the washbasin in the dining area. It was clean in terms of not having dust but otherwise haven't even wiped with a lotion properly. There were an infinite number of ants in the house which might provoke one to think this house was built over a graveyard. The ants were already there when we landed there but the lady (name Mercy) who is supposed to clean and care the house (according to the owner) said the house is cleaned well!!! One of the tiles on the living space floor was broken and she said it was done by some older tenant. There were few fancy glass boxes in the living area, which I think is just useless, were full of dust. There were three sofas in the living space and all of them were dirty as hell with even footprints on the sitting area!!! We reached there in the evening so that we were unable to move out to find a hotel at the same time to save the day. So we decided to clean it before even keeping our bags. We bought DETTOL and few bottles of hand sanitizers (we ended by buying more than ten by the end of our one-month stay) and started cleaning the whole night. We only took two rooms in the house but ended up using only one room and one bathroom (it was just to avoid further cleaning after a terrible one-room cleaning!!!!). We left one sofa uncleaned as we were fed up of cleaning. We decided to use only the other two sofas finally. The knobs in the bathrooms were already damaged (Mercy showed us anyway) and we carefully chose the one with less damage and never used the other bathroom (we got blamed for not flushing the unused toilet despite being unaware of some skydaddy's excreta was already inside). We haven't used the washing machine as we understood that the dirty doormats were washed using the same and this action left some sedimentation inside the machine (moreover the area where the washing machine was kept seemed dirty). We didn't use the kitchen (not even the coffee maker), fridge, glasses, pots, plates, knives, spoons, forks, etc. This lady Mercy used to roam around the house like a James Bond and use to inform the owner about what is happening and where you go etc. She informed him one day that the courtyard is full of dust, but the fact is that the neighbor had thrown some of his plants waste by mistake and she suddenly informed the owner that we should clean it immediately. But, come on, it is Airbnb house and the property owner and his team were supposed to take care of such things. This place has no means to dispose of trash (we were never informed of how to deal with trash - except they kept few trash bins in the rooms and in the kitchen). What we did was we informed the owner that we are not using the kitchen and we don't have food wastes we only have hand tissues and wet wipes as trash which we collected in a few paper bags since plastic cover usage is banned in Kerala. He didn't have any objection to it. The other trash items were plastic bottles of water, hand sanitizer, and juices which we kept right in the living space itself for easy removal (we thought that this is Airbnb and they are professional and someone will come to clean the house after we leave and they wouldn't have any issues where we kept the bottles and trash). Unfortunately, we left some hand tissues on the floor just before vacating and that had attracted unnecessary and awful comments from the caretaker and another coward named Sony (he is the electrician-cum-care taker-cum-cleaner-cum-protector-cum-manager-cum-buttering agent and the owner's buddy). We kept our bags and stuff over a few newspaper sheets as one part of the sofa which we cleaned was still not usable!!! We got negative comments about leaving the newspaper. Mercy actually wants to take away the money we give as a cleaning fee (Rs. 1000 - 500 for before cleaning and 500 for after cleaning) by not doing the responsible job. She wants the tenants to clean the whole house before leaving so that she can inform the owner that she cleaned everything and rob the money easily.

2. Right after we vacated the house, we got calls after calls from the owner and one Mr all-in-all Sony to show their unhappiness about the condition of the house. Remember, the only thing we did was we kept the easily burnable paper wastes in five packets, kept the newspapers on the sofas, and kept the plastic bottles without throwing on the floor. Sony was screaming to his boss to get permission to yell and throw nasty words at me (this information I got from a WhatsApp message forwarded to me by the owner himself). Sony's action was to please his boss so that his boss will give him, presumably saint, the only "trustworthy guy around" honor. The owner completely believed him. We used the black color henna and we kept the bottle as trash in the living area (again, we presumed that this is Airbnb and the team will look after such issues like trash removal etc.). This bottle attracted a plethora of abusive statements from the owner and his team. The bathroom we chose to use already had many black marks and spots on the floor. Mercy said this is due to some holistic actions from the previous tenants/supernatural power. However, after seeing the henna bottle they claimed that those spots are also due to henna! I mentioned in the previous point that the sofas were dirty and we cleaned it using DETTOL/Sanitizer. Later, unfortunately, we sat on the sofa and the fabric color stained the sofa in a very small area. After seeing this, Rev. Saint. Sony informed the owner that the sofa is gone forever and he claimed we burned the Sofa using petrol and fire! But, later, when they saw the henna bottle they started bargaining to glorify the side effects of henna (they said it is hair dye). I am pretty sure it is easily removable using a few drops of vinegar or any other cleaning agent. I don't know if that works at all or not, but just a wild gesture. Having explained all these, and being aware of the fact that we were the 63rd guest, the owner charged 7500 rupees to change the complete upholstery of the sofas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, henna being the new culprit, they started claiming that the bathroom we used is full of "henna burned spots" (I already mentioned in the last point that this bathroom already had black spots). Then they were too irritated by this "henna" and wanted to have full house cleaning. Remember, we haven't even used the full house anytime! The lower part of the bathroom walls attracted some mildews and molds due to continuous usage and low-ventilation which is definitely common to all houses. It is Airbnb and we assumed that the housekeeping team ("imaginary") will take care of these issues after the tenant leave. Therefore, we kept that as it is and I am damn sure that cleaning this area wouldn't require a "football team of cleaners" since we know how much time it takes to clean a bathroom at a home. They said that they need a team of cleaners to clean that area and charged me 2300 rupees (he generously reduced 1000 rupees we gave to Mercy and said 1300 rupees!!!!!!). I understand that the owner would want to clean his entire house after a pretty long time-use by different tenants and he just charged me for doing that.

3. When I had a chat with the owner about all these matters, he said that he rented this house to me for 2166 per day (we paid 65000 for a month) instead of 3500 per day (for the full house) as it is advertised. But, he locked two rooms in the house, so essentially we had only two rooms. Right before the day we arrive, they had tenants there. We have been watching this house at least a month before we decided to rent it and we always noticed that the days we occupied were never booked by anyone (in Airbnb). So it is clear that the owner agreed to rent this to us for this reduced price (I don't say reduced as we had access to two rooms only) as he knows that no one will be booking for the month of February (we already saw booking in March and until we said okay nobody booked for February) and if he rents to us he will get money for an unoccupied month. We were ready for immediate move-in and we haven't seen the house before we moved in.

4. I wouldn't recommend this house to anyone unless they are ready to get blamed for something they are unaware of and, of course, with a lot of money. Never trust this advertisement. You should go personally there and check each and every corner of this house before you rent. Never get deceived by the photos they showed. Take clear pictures or every nook and corner before you move in (this is one thing I missed deliberately as I was thinking this guy should be a nice person and he wouldn't let his tenant to suffer and I trusted him).

I do understand that my genuine comments and experience wouldn't suffice to sprout real obstacles for a new tenant as he/she will be deceived by the charisma of the photos and the videos on youtube. Moreover, with the money they unnecessarily took from me, they will clean the house professionally and a new tenant will get it afresh and he won't have any bad comments if his/her stay is shorter.

Date of stay: February 2020
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.