All reviewssky roomthe open air showerla merresident tortoisesbed and breakfastmango treecharming b bwalled cityold cityminute walktransfer from the airportevery morningplace to stayhelpful ownergetsemani neighborhoodother guestsfresh juice
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Lezards was a wonderful, peaceful and beautiful first spot to land in Colombia. We were in awe of the beautiful structure, clean and comfortable accommodations and peaceful surroundings. The warmth and attentiveness of all the staff there was remarkable, they literally couldn't have been more helpful in our plans even after we had left there, The downside? The next three places we stayed in Columbia couldn't come close to the experience at Lezards- we felt spoiled and pampered and even tried to change our plans in order to go back. This place is highly recommended, you will not be sorry- can I go back right now?

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely night here in the Juniour Suite. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was excellent with all the facilities. A great breakfast was available and freshly cooked. Andy and Marcus were especially friendly, and booked our onward bus for us. 10/10

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2018

We spent 4 nights at Les Lezards and had a lovely time. Marcus upgraded our room on arrival which was very kind of him, all mod cons plus a bonus open roof shower with a view of a mango tree! The staff were great - breakfast amazing. Lovely little patio on the roof and a plunge pool to cool off from the heat, very relaxing vibe. It's situated just outside of the historic centre which is much more of a genuine neighbourhood to stay in with a mixture of locals and tourists. Very close to squares where musicians and dancers perform in the evenings plus good restaurants and bars minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank ephemerette e
Reviewed 10 May 2018

Really lovely quaint hotel in the Getsemani neighborhood. The staff is extremely helpful, kind and very friendly. We stayed in the Up in the sky room which was the perfect resting spot during our time in Cartagena. Having our freshly made breakfast, especially the fruit juices, on the outside terrace every morning was a highlight of our trip. We celebrated a birthday and they truly made it memorable. Marcus and his team do a fantastic job of making you feel welcome and at home, but also giving you privacy if that's what you're looking for. Our stay at Les Lezards really made our trip to Cartagena special.

Room Tip: Up in the sky room is well worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim R
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

The good.

The people. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Angie checked us in and then Bertha was with us for the next two mornings. Luis was friendly and Marco was responsive as soon as we booked the room. Nice people!

The Sky Room’s private deck. Hands down the best part of our stay. I don’t think Les Lezards would have gotten this many stars without this feature. I loved having the private space to hangout in the morning and the evening and to take a secluded dip. Sure, it didn’t seem as private as it’s sold (other people could definitely see you on here, but only if they were looking), but that didn’t bother me. The tub had some issues though: it was cold, jets did not work, and there was hair/some paper (we were hopeful that it wasn’t toilet paper) in the tub when we got there.

The neighborhood. We loved staying outside of the Walled City, but being close enough to hangout/grab dinner when we wanted to. Loved walking through the plaza and never felt unsafe in Getsemani. Highly recommend staying in this neighborhood over the highly touristy Walled City.

The not so good.

The WiFi. Despite having three WiFi networks, there was no service in the sky room. I told this to Angie when we got there and she more or less shrugged, acknowledging there was an issue and that was about it. This was very frustrating. A hotel should have WiFi that works in all rooms. We only had it when sitting on the steps into our room which made planning our days challenging.

The towels. It was like drying your skin with sandpaper. Perhaps this is from air drying, but ow. A serious exfoliant that you did not ask for. Seems like a simple fix and attention to detail that isn’t too difficult to address.

The common space. There was no common space to socialize with the other guests. I love staying at B&Bs because I get to meet other travelers and learn about their journeys. Les Lezards only had one table with four seats for people to gather at. I wish there was more space to hangout. They had a deck outside of the Sky Room but there was only one seat and I never saw anyone hanging out there.

The Sky room itself. I am 5’8” and my partner is 5’10”. I do not think anyone who is taller than 5’10” would fit in the sky room’s bed. It was between two walls and a very tight fit (his head and feet both touched the edges). So if you are tall, be advised! Also, on the last night the air conditioner started dripping in the middle of the night. It ended up soaking my backpack (luckily not affecting the technology inside) before I woke up to move it. Other than that, having the air conditioner was a great feature.

The in between.
The breakfast. Food was totally fine, but the exact same everyday. Also, there were no croissants as advertised on the website.

The wine cellar. A nice feature but only had two bottles. Seemed over priced too. A cute gesture nevertheless.

The fact that there was no person onsite. Sure Angie and Bertha were available by WhatsApp, and were responsive, but I would have been more comfortable with someone being around to talk to in person. Just a personal preference.

In Sum.

I really wanted to like this place. We found it on a LGBT blog and wanted to support business that support our community. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t overlook the issues with this place. A few of my complaints are easy to fix, so I hope Les Lezards is able to do so.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
marcus l, Manager at Les Lezards Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Dear Guest,

I’m sorry that you “wanted to like this place” but you didn’t…

I’d like to make a few comments though:

- the Up in the Sky room has a small pool. It’s not a hot tub, but a pool, so no jets and hot water in that pool. But there’s a hot tub, with jets and hot water on the main terrace.
- we’re inside the walled city
- we have a policy for minimum use of chemical products. We don’t use softeners for our towels and they are air dryed. They are not soft, but they are not harsh and they have an “old style” feeling that many guests appreciate. We don’t use chemical pesticides in the house though there are lots of plants and trees, we use lavender natural extracts in the rooms and recycle everything from rests of soap, toilet paper, plastic bottles,…
- there are 4 common areas: the front patio, with a table and four chairs, the back patio with a table and six chairs, the terrace with a deck bed and a sofá that can accomodate 4 to 6 guests and the mirador with a teck bed and a teck bench that accommodates 2 to 4 guests.
- the Up in the sky room has a queen size bed in an alcove. If our guests are very tall, it may be short as there’s no space in front of the mattress. But we have other rooms where the beds are not in an alcove and the rooms have a different design.
- there were no croissants on your first day, but there were on your following days. The croissants ( very difficult to prepare in the extreme humidity of Cartagena ) are outsourced and made by a french patissier. On Sundays we have arepas de huevo, a local specialty. Still, croissants are available if guests ask us.
- there’s always a person onsite, myself, or my son Francois. Indeed when your a/c started dripping my son was there with you and the technician that came to fix it at night. This is a b&b, and there’s no front desk as in a standard hotel, but there’s a lot of personnel, an average of one person per room and we all keep in permanent touch with our guests ( as you can see from our long and comprehensive corresponence of about a dozen mails, with info on our guesthosue and activites in the city ) and if there’s anytyhing our guests need at any time of day and night, we’re there for them.

We have the fastest wifi available in the center ( 20mbps ) and several routers in the house to guarantee coverage. Wifi speed sometimes falls, and even stops…I’m sorry about this, but there’s not much we can do…I’m sure that the communication networks, power and water distribution will be upgraded in the next years and these utilities will function better. Colombia is just getting out of a period of 50 yesrs of war, after an intense and difficult Peace Process. It’s a country starting anew and it will take a while before utilities and other things will work as they do in the US, Asia, Europe,…

We have a generous breakfast with different options, this is the menú ( as shown on the leaflet in your room ):

“We offer every morning ( prepared on the spot when our guests start their breakfast ), eggs ( scrambled or fried, with or without bacon ), fresh croissants and “pains au chocolat”, white bread, whole bread, strawberry, peach, blueberry, fig, orange jams, nutella, corn flakes, all bran, apple/peach/almond/cherry muesli, regular milk, soya milk, strawberry/peach/pithaya and natural yogurt, freshly made-when-you-sit fruit juice ( different every day ) and fruit salad ( different every day and definitively not a strawberry cut in four ), drip coffee, moka coffee, espresso, cappuccino and a large tea selection from Twining’s, regular sugar and stevia. Water used for ice and for juices is from bottled water.

Breakfast is served daily from 7am to 12.”

We also tell our guests to inform us if they wish something different or if they have a special diet, ( vegan, vegetarian, celiac, gluten free,… )

I’m really sorry if there was “some hair” in the pool. We flush the pool daily , it may have been brought by the wind. Did you inform one of our recepcionists ?

I’m also sorry for the a/c suddenly dripping. All our a/cs are on a 3 month maintenance schedule, so this shoudn’t be happening. But the technician came very fast to fix it, and at night…

I’m happy that you found us on a LGBT blog. I’m sure some previous guest on this blog had a good experience. Everybody is welcome at our little b&b, without discrimination of race, religión, nationality, political views and sexual orientation.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You can also contact me at my mobile, which you already have, and at our e-mail address: leslezardsbb@gmail.com.

All our guests comments are extremely important to help us continuously improve our guesthouse and our service.

Thank you. Cheers,