See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

If you are in Chengdu for business and don't care much about the area, then this is a good choice. Nice rooms, nice service and nice buffet breakfast (international/chinese style). The only problem that finally could solved was the payment with Visa card...they said just would accept Chinese card... but finally they did accept Visa!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
KayXia, 宾客服务中心 at Minyoun Chengdu Dongda Hotel - Member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your stay. I am very sorry to hear that several things throughout your stay did not meet your expectations. Please note that your concerns have been passed on to our housekeeping management. We do hope you give us another chance as we will definitely improve our services.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Very nice rooms. High up for view, though weather limits horizon. Staff extremely helpful to our needs. Food good. Great air conditioning. Best overall hotel we've stayed on China trip. Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
KayXia, 宾客服务中心 at Minyoun Chengdu Dongda Hotel - Member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

1. Dear Traveler. Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and I'm looking forward to having you again as a guest in our hotel.

Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

The worst hotel we stayed in while visiting China. The Chinese people have been so welcoming and this was the only time we have encountered rudeness. The hotel is full of Chinese businessmen and prostitutes. Smoking is the norm in China but it was rampant here. The bar is unusable as a non smoker, as is the lobby area. Bring a mask to get through the smoke.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 29 November 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. Hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

First thing, I want to mention is that this city is not a usual destination for tourists…business travelers yes, but not tourists. The staff had a basic English skill set, which was sufficient to provide assistance and any direction that I needed.

The facilities are very nice. The rooms are spacious and appointed with everything a traveler would need. They offered a huge buffet breakfast that offered a large variety of regional cuisine. I noticed many complaints about not having “Western” meal options….I don’t remember any hotels in Europe or U.S. offering any Chinese options for breakfast. If you want Western cuisine options stay home! And don’t lodge your complains here.

All-and-all, I was very pleased with the facilities, food, and the service.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
KayXia, PR at Minyoun Chengdu Dongda Hotel - Member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback. We take our guests feedback very seriously especially. We will keep doing the right things and keep moving on improving guests' experience. Hope you could come back again; your concerns are being addressed as we speak and we will make sure you have a better stay.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

For those who don’t have time to read a detailed comment, here is my advice in a nutshell: If you are a foreign guest and looking for a five star experience (including great hospitality, great facilities and friendliness) the Minyoun Royal hotel is probably not the place that is going to meet your expectations. If you only care about a nice shiny high-rise tower with great luxury rooms but care less about the way you are treated as a guest, this is an excellent place for you. For the detailed description of our experience, please continue reading.

After checking several hotels in Chengdu, both on booking.com and TripAdvisor, the reviews of this Minyoun Royal hotel convinced me and my partner. After receiving the booking confirmation for this hotel via booking.com, it became clear that our booking included breakfast for one guest only (something that only appeared after the booking was completed as it was stated on the booking confirmation). Having stayed in other Chinese hotels in the past, this was not completely a surprise, as many hotels seem to offer breakfast for one person only, so a separate fee needs to be paid for the second guest. Upon check-in we were offered to pay a certain amount for the additional breakfast, covering the three night’s stay, so we paid up front to avoid the hassle of paying or signing forms every morning. The next morning (after our first night in this hotel) the lady at the entrance of the breakfast restaurant informed us that our room rate included only one breakfast. She kept insisting that we needed to pay for the second person, even after explaining her that we already paid the additional fees upon check-in, after a while we could finally convince her to check with her colleagues from the front desk, and we were allowed to enjoy our breakfast. Where people work, mistakes are made, so as such, the lack of communication between the front desk and the breakfast restaurant is something we could overcome, however, having to deal and wheel to convince the staff to check with their colleagues on something that has indeed been paid for is something I prefer not to do in a five star hotel. The breakfast itself was rather poor on international dishes. The Minyoun group seems to be a real estate developer, having earned its credits in large construction projects in and around the Sichuan province and expanding its wings to other places in China. I have to admit; that the hardware, meaning the building and the facilities of the hotel were in par with other great five star hotels we have stayed. The Minyoun Royal hotel is located in a modern shiny high-rise with 48 floors. The hotel occupies floors 33-47, with a bar called `first-class bar´ located on level 48 (top floor). The hotel lobby and (breakfast) restaurant are located on level 33 while the hotel rooms occupy floors 35-47. Our room was located on floor 39, with a nice city view. The hotel gym and indoor pool are located on the 7th floor. The gym was average, but is equipped enough for a proper workout. The changing rooms where small, and the floor extremely dirty and most of the lockers seemed to be out of service (as there were no lockers available at one of the days I went down to the gym for my workout. The heated indoor pool is quite ok, although I found the pool rather cold. What was missing was a sauna and steam room. Our room was nice and the bed comfortable and the bathroom nice and luxury, including large bathtub, marble tiling, separate shower and toilet cabins. However, the bathroom was not clean enough; there were long hairs and old contact lenses lying around on the floor and in the sink. Most of the staff-members had a hard time speaking English. But as me and my partner are both non-native English speakers, we know how hard it is to learn and speak English. To accommodate the staff we had learned a few basic Mandarin sentences, just as a courtesy and in order to make things easier for both. Most staff members were extremely arrogant and did not seem to appreciate our efforts to speak their language (despite their lack of English or any other European language skills). Now I am aware of the fact that cultural differences are a sensitive issue, particularly where the west meets China. But we felt we were treated with a lack of respect and not being taken seriously, both during check-in, at several occasions during our stay and during check-out. We sensed a deep feeling of aversion against foreigners, just judging from the way we were treated and the way posh Chinese clientele was treated. At check-out I wanted to check the invoice carefully to see whether no additional breakfast was charged (considering our experience on the first day of our stay), but my credit card was rudely ripped out of my hands, even though I asked them to give me a moment in order to check the invoice. I would like to recommend the general manager of this property to offer his key staff members an internship with a resort in Thailand or Vietnam in order to learn what true hospitality is. The hardware and infrastructure of this place is definitely on a five-star level, but the way the staff-members (except one guy from the concierge on ground floor) treat their foreign guests is probably on the level of a bad 1 or 2 star hotel. If you wish to stay in a nice five star property, but don’t care about five star treatments, this is the place for you. If you are expecting a five star property and five star service the Minyoun Royal hotel has the potential to disappoint you.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple