“A piece of Italy in Xiamen”

Unico Italian Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 1 562 Restaurants in Xiamen
Reviewed 23 March 2018

Beeing a big fan of Italian food the visit at Unico was a very good experience.
Nice and modern interior design with a win/cigar storage in the middle of the restaurant.
Wein selection is large and the menu card is also fine.
Misto deal case and a pizza can be recommended. And the manager (who is from Italy) walk around in the restaurant talking to the customers and make a nice atmosphere and also checking that the food and wine is as expected.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Modern restaurant within the Marco Polo hotel although it has nothing to do with the hotel. The restaurant is a modern layout with a lounge bar at one end, booking essential over a weekend period. The menu has all the usual Itslian suspects and the food doesn't dissappoint. Verylittle English spoken but easy enough to point at the items as the menu is in Chinese and English. Service was generally good but I think the language barrier created some hesitation from the staff, nothing to worry us though. All in all a very nice meal and reasonably priced. Tried 2 others nearby that were both more expensive and the food quality no where near as nice. Give it a try. Service food and value all 4/5. Oh! Take your own wine ... no corkage fee!

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

This is my fourth visit to Unico and I have basically had the same experience each time. Although the chef is very nice, he unfortunately is surrounded by a team that is below standard. Today the wait was 45 minutes for pizzas in a semi-filled restaurant. Food is ok but honestly not worth the 45 min wait.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

I have visited this restaurant on two occasions: once for lunch and once for a coffee with dessert, the latter experience being worse. When I visited during lunchtime I did not pay much attention to the details of the service, my colleague ordered in Chinese and all I noticed was the nice atmosphere in the restaurant and the nice menu, especially for the seafood lovers. I myself am not one of them and therefore ordered a Pasta Pesto without (!) shrimps (they usually serve it with shrimps). Unfortunately, they served the pasta with shrimps and I had to send it back - of course as usual in China without ever hearing "I'm sorry". While the overall experience was still okay that day, the food not being great but a good lunch, the next time I went in I was more attentive on the details of the service.
On the second occasion, we were welcomed by four waiters at the entrance. I told them that I only wanted a coffee and dessert and they guided me to the bar, where I told the barista I wanted two espressos, one of them with milk (which he really struggled to understand - the English spoken by the staff is really poor). When I asked him and the other, apparently a bit more fluent in English, waiter to use lactose free milk for my company they could not understand it, no matter how I tried to explain it. After placing my order, all waiters seem to have disappeared. We were left standing in the middle of the restaurant, not knowing where to sit nor having a table being made ready for us. We just sat down at the most appropriately seeming table and waited for our coffee, which took so long that we decided to go for a dessert as well. As there were no waiters around we took the menu by ourselves and then decided to order a chocolate cake once the coffee finally arrived. The cake however never arrived. We left 25 minutes after ordering it. When we told the waiter that we wanted to pay and that the cake had taken way too long, he asked us to come to the counter to pay, where we encountered a bill which included the chocolate cake! After telling him about his mistake he corrected it, of course without expressing any apology for neither the delay nor the mistake and cashed in. A terrible service that does not match the image the restaurant is trying to give itself - most of all for being located inside the Marco Polo Hotel.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Definitely yes for Chef Dany's food : fresh, delicious and reasonably priced. Yes as well for the new location at Marco Polo, the dining room is great. But "no" for the quality of service: no or poor English spoken, rude staff and very questionnable efficiency.

Date of visit: June 2017