Hotels.com
Priceline
Lol.travel
All reviews chobe river game drives boat cruise a great stay buffet style enjoyed my stay view of the river wild animals victoria falls early morning safari botswana lodge africa activities warthogs tree
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2023

A nice stay at Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa, It was really a nice stay and enjoyed every single moment spent there. a good service and delicious food. Thank you for you kind service and I can't wait to come back

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 November 2023

We were very disappointed in our stay. When we arrived they quoted us a higher price than was on the reservation confirmation. Then when we checked out they charged us incorrectly. There were also fees that we were not aware of that appeared on the bill. The restaurant is overpriced and food was not very good. Due to wildlife in the town you can’t walk down the road or to other restaurants so you either eat on site or take taxis around.

We were also very disappointed in our room. The hotel was very empty when we arrived, very few guests for the whole visit. They tell you that every room faces the river which is true but they were building a venue on our side of the hotel so we had constant construction noise and an obstructed view. It seemed silly that they did not put guests on the other side where there was no construction.

Finally I found members of the reception staff and on the activity desk to be very rude. I have been on safari in Eastern Africa where closed safari are used. In Botswana it is customary to use open vehicles and when I relayed my safety concerns due to big cats in the park the man at the desk turned to my husband and laughed and said “why did you bring her here if she is so scared.” I thought that was very rude and exceptionally unprofessional. We later had another guide explain why they use the vehicles they do in Botswana and it made sense and was indeed safe for us to go on game drives.

Overall we found the venue pretty but overpriced, with bad food and bad service, and we ended up leaving early as a result. The photos show the views from one of the pools and our room, plus the open safari vehicle. Kasani itself was nice and we had a good time visiting the National Park and viewing wildlife.

Room tip: It can be dangerous to walk around the town due to wildlife which comes at times. You are often either on activities or at hotel.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2023

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed at in my life. My sister and I stayed here for two days. The resort is immaculate. It is situated on the Chobe River. When we arrived, we were greeted like royalty. The staff cannot be nicer, and everyone makes sure that all guests are well cared for. Rooms are clean, spacious and have mosquito netting which the staff diligently arranges in late afternoon. Our room was on the ground floor, so we were facing the river and were able to view mama warthog and her brand-new babies frolicking in the grass.
Our package included all meals, choice of a boat ride and several safari rides in the park. We went on the boat ride our first evening. Our guide was a wealth of knowledge, and it is clear how much he loves his job and how much he loves adding to the knowledge of guests. The sunset on the river was one of the most beautiful I have experienced. Please note that the mosquitoes are vicious and if you are a mosquito magnet like I am, slather on the repellant. I made the mistake of wearing shorts and even though I had put on repellant they had a feast on my lower legs (haha).
We started our second day with a safari in the national park and we were not disappointed with the plethora of elephants, buffalo, lions, jackals, giraffes, birds, and impalas. We did pay extra for a night drive ($10) and did see hyena. We took a game drive on our second day as well to the park.
We were on the inclusive plan so we had a choice of the more formal menu or the very ample buffet. The buffet is a mix of African and more western cuisine, and everything was delicious. Coffee and tea are included with meals, but water and other drinks are not included.
There are two pools onsite, a gym and a spa for those who want a massage or other services. The property is immaculate, and the staff could not be nicer. There is an activity desk in the lobby that books everyone's prepaid activities but can also arrange other activities such as the night drive, a visit to Victoria Falls, a town visit or a shopping trip. There is also a small shop and a cocktail bar.
We were thrilled with our stay here. This was first time in Botswana. I would defiantly return here in a few years. It is nice to be a guest where everyone makes you feel so special.

Room tip: Make sure to wear long pants or mosquito repellant if mosquitos like you.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2023

Cresta Mowana Lodge is one of the top most expensive lodges in Kasane. I stayed there with a group of friends from Russia. We made use of the game drive as well as the boat cruise. The boat cruise was the biggest disappointment ever - we were held up for almost 30 minutes waiting for the cooler box with drinks for them. When they eventually arrived, no bottle opener for the drinks. The guide was a bigger disappointment. I have been doing these cruises for the last almost 25 years and it is one of the highlights - always - BUT - the guide made NO effort to inform my friends of the history of Sedudu Island, one of THE stories of this area, he was on his phone more than anything else.

The main restaurant was also a disappointment, airconditioning not turned on, the selection of food was for a hotel with this reputation as being "the best" was really not up to standard and along with that waiters that are simply missing in action.

When paying premium rates for accommodation, you expect premium services.....

Would I recommend or use Mowana Lodge again? Sadly highly unlikely.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2023

We loved the Cresta Mowana Hotel. The staff were attentive and efficient. The rooms are beautiful, clean and well-eqipped, with comfortable beds and good quality bedlinen and towels. The staff closed the mosquito nets for us every evening.
We enjoyed all the meals, the breakfasts were great with plenty of choice and omelettes made to order. Lunch and dinner buffet style but well-presented and delicious.
We loved the location, where we were able to view stunning sunsets over the river Chobe. Two lovely swimming pools. Also very close to the game reserve for our game drives and sunset cruises.
If we return to the area, we will definitely stay there again!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple