“Great Greek Even With a Curfew”
Review of Taverna Restaurant

Taverna Restaurant
Ranked #930 of 12 556 Restaurants in Dubai
Price range: US$33 - US$54
Neighbourhood: Al Sufouh 1
Description: Located on the vibrant waterfront promenade at Souk Madinat Jumeirah, Taverna presents a chic Greek dining experience serving authentic dishes in a rustic yet elegant setting. The interior is inspired by modern Greece, with white washed walls, exposed wood, neutral tones and accents of tarnished copper. Headed by Greek Chef Theo Rouvas, the kitchen promises a traditional taste of Greece.
Reviewed 20 January 2021

It was our final night in Dubai and also New Years Eve so we booked this place ahead of time and requested a table outside on the canal water front. There was a minimum spend of around £60 / head from memory which I didn't think was too bad being New Years Eve an all? There was also a stipulation that we had to clear our table by 8pm (we arrived at 6:30pm) again not an issue. This was to make room for the high rollers spending a minimum of £200 / head (drink included) to be able to eat and watch the fire works over the palm at midnight. This suited me fine as (a) I dont like fireworks that much and we had to be up at 4am to catch an early flight home. It turned out to be a great decision really because the restaurant is set among a number of bars / other eateries and a sort of man made grand bazaar, which sold basically a load of old tat. The whole area was a little contrived, like a lot of stuff in Dubai and because it was a busy new years eve with one road into the centre getting out after the midnight fireworks in a taxi would have been a complete nightmare. So after eating we decided to head back to our hotel (near the Burj Kalifa) so we were not worrying about getting back late on plus we could watch another display closer to home before getting to bed at a decent time. The staff were very pleasant at Taverna and it turned out the curfew for us to be finished was 9pm, which turned out to plenty of time. It was a lovely setting, a little dark but with cute table lamps and the water lapping against the jetty very romantic indeed. Food did not disappoint either Mrs L went for a seafood linguine with lobster, which turned out to be a huge portion. I actually helped her out with some of it and I must say it was extremely tasty. I opted for the bone in rib eye with french fries again excellent indeed, cooked as requested juicy and full of flavour. This was washed down with some house red served in a variety of sized carafe from 250ml to 1.5l! We managed to get through a respectable litre between us and I had a beer. Cannot remember the final bill but suffice to say we hit the desired min spend target and I felt it was reasonable value for money for a new years eve dinner. I would recommend a trip to Taverna Greek albeit the area (Madinat Souk) was not really our cup of tea, we preferred the quieter business area, but each to their own.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank davidmlowe
Write a reviewReviews (62)

Reviewed 10 December 2020 via mobile

Terrific food, service and ambience. The staff is on top form serving the best Greek dishes in Dubai

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 14 November 2020 via mobile

One of the best restaurants ever . Food is amazing Greek salad tsanzikiiii tuna carpaccio with coffee the pita bread is out of this world .. prices comparing to Dubai prices and other Greek fancy restaurants let’s not name them .. prices are awesome . Chef Theodore comes personally to our table to offer us his loukouma one of the nicest Greek sweets ... I simply love this place
Philaniiiiiii omg what a beautiful soul the best waiter to host you properly and put a smile on your face he’s got awesome humour :)))))) thank you really .

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 27 February 2020 via mobile

This is the biggest fault i did in my life that i came to this place , omg !! Its never recommended to any any and one

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 20 February 2020 via mobile

The best location and view, however in my opinion they were trying a bit too hard with the food, needed more simplicity. Having been to Greece myself, I know good Greek food and I think the chicken was too rubbery and had quite a bit of fat on it, and personally that’s not for me. When we pointed out some things we weren’t too keen on, instead of modifying and asking for an opinion, they just said that’s how it comes, but were polite. Overall the food is average

Date of visit: February 2020