“Great view”

Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Telephone 03 487 7173
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

The food itself is OK, nothing extraordinary and nothing to write home about but I have been up since for a couple of beers just to enjoy the sunshine and stunning view across the Eastern Harbour.

If you want a nice place to sit outside away from the busy streets, relax with a beer or you seem to need to eat Chinese "style" food then this is a pretty good option.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

We came to have early dinner, The dishes were odd, taste is not Chinese at all, the only good thing they served was the Lemon Guice I ordered!

The place needs complete renovation, chairs need to b changed & their prices are not cheap, service was not bad but when we asked for the check to pay for their untasty food, the waiters took the money & never brought us back the change, they took it for granted, shame on them, the tip is optional, & they should have returned the change to us first.

1  Thank Arrij
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Strange sort-of-Chinese place on the roof of the Cecil. Friendly if slow service (you need to ask if you want soy sauce, for instance). The guys there are very nice.
View: Amazing of course.
Cleanliness: Disgusting & Dirty. Grease-smudged plates, filthy Astro-turf outdoor carpets. Wires everywhere.
Food: Subpar. How can you serve Chinese food cooked by an Egyptian chef?
Spring Rolls are thin and tasteless with a flavorless sauce that may even be ketchup and water mixed together.
Sweet and Sour Chicken was caked in a dough paste and then deep fried. It was served with a tiny smear of sweet and sour sauce that wasn't sweet and wasn't sour. It was a horrible dish and should've been an embarrassment to serve.
Glad I went but I'll never go back!

1  Thank L6359VIjeffreyc
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I had heard raves about China House, so we went with big expectations. The Cecil Hotel (now owned by Steinberger) is both grand and historical and it's a treat to walk in and feel the atmosphere. In a way, that's a problem because the decor of China House is so lacking. It really is no better decorated that a cheap strip mall restaurant in the States. Couldn't more be done? Understandably, the tables outside are where you want to sit, not inside, but depending on the time of day (we were there around 5:00) it can get too sunny. The view is amazing; we just couldn't stay in the full sun to enjoy it and there is no shade provided. The waiter was incensed that I asked for our water bottle to be exchanged with one that still had the plastic seal. I am surprised that he was that taken aback. Among foreigners, it is well known to be careful of tap water masquerading as bottled water. He made a big deal about it, when he really could have just been cordial. We ordered the shrimp noodles and spring rolls. I had asked for the spring rolls to first like the appetizer they are. They came after and they were the skinniest spring rolls I have ever seen with such a small amount of filling. They're not cheap, so I think there could have been more veggies stuffed inside. The noodles were also given in a very small amount. I had only three shrimp on my plate. These were small shrimp and not jumbo by any means; not that it was promised in the menu, but I really didn't think ordering shrimp noodles meant three only. The wait staff enjoyed talking among themselves near our table, but didn't seem that interested in checking back, or giving us our bill. There are other Chinese restaurants in Alexandria. Sure, they won't have that great view, but I hope they have better service and better food with bigger portions.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

I'm very enthusiastic about the location (on top of Cecil Hotel) and its magnificent view over the Mediterranean Sea. For that reason- and the fact that you want to see the hotel from the inside, it's quite an usual sight - you should definitely visit the restaurant. The food is as expensive as you might expect from such a fancy place, but you get your money's worth of tasty oriental food. Two things seriously irked me: the unfriendly service and a lack of shade during the day. On more than one occasion waiters cleared our table before everyone was finished. It created an impatient atmosphere in which slower eaters or drinkers felt rushed to finish their food or drinks. It also felt unnecessary, because it didn't seem that busy at the time of our visit. The second problem is that there were too few places to hide from the sun. At our arrival there were two small tables in the shade, but one of them was already taken. Both our group and a group that came after us had to change places because the heat became unbearable. I don't get why an expensive restaurant doesn't invest in sun shades. One point reduction, though I'd still recommend it for its special location.