“Should’ve read previous reviews. AVOID”

Korta Bistro And Wine Bar
Ranked #373 of 438 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Description: Intimate restaurant with great wine and food located in a narrow Dubrovnik alley.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Yup. Lesson learnt. Should’ve read the reviews. We had the Black Seafood Risotto (salty), chicken pasta Italiano (small portion), Dalmatian squid (not recommended. Squid tasted over cooked and not fresh) and grilled calamari. Ditto.

However, the worst thing was the secret cover charge. Since I didn’t understand the language he read out the charges to me but he missed this out. And I had to ask for the bill. Only when I got back to the apartment and read the bill and got it translated did it transpire it was a cover charge at 20kn person! And I gave him a 50kn tip!! No wonder he looked shocked!

Also, the free dessert is about one bite of a cheap Swiss roll. Their cover charge more than covered this and some!

I guess they thought most tourists only visit once so it’s okay to con us. Well.... hopefully Tripadvisor would do its magic and people who read it will know not to go. Shame on me though for not taking my own advice and got conned. Don’t you be conned as well. Let my lesson be your guide!

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Walking through the old town, a pleasant lady talked us through the authentic meat specials. The prices looked reasonable so we decided to give it a go. After our “aperitif” of some banana flavoured syrup arrived, we read the reviews. At this point we should have left, but we didn’t.

We did think we had read the small print and seen nothing about the 20 Kunar per person cover charge, so felt we could confidently challenge if it was added to our bill.

The food was, at best ok, the wine was questionable. The real insult was the bill with the added 20 Kunar per person. When we questioned this, the staff only responded by saying “we gave you the menu, it’s written in there”. The manager said that we had made the choice to go “terrible and cheap” rather than “good and expensive”. With that attitude, there is no hope. Avoid this restaurant.

1  Thank AliHez
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This bistro??? relies on the passing trade from the cruise ships, where unsuspecting people are conned out of their hard earned money. Like most tourists I didn't have the time to research where to go and what to do before my holiday, and basically wandered around the old town looking for somewhere just to get a bite to eat. Nothing fancy or a la crate just a snack.

On stumbling across this place, we were given an outside table in the alley and after a few minutes the waiter placed a basket of bread rolls. I specifically asked the waiter if I had to pay for the bread to which he responded was free. We ordered toasties and spaghetti which eventually turned up. Food was nothing to write home about just average.

And then the grand finale........the bill showed a "convert" charge of 20kuna per person, so that was 80kuna which in GBP was £10. I actually had to Google what couvert actually meant! When I asked a different waiter what the couvert charge was he said it was to cover the bread and setting the table!!!

When I questioned him about the original waiter saying the bread was free this waiter then picked up a menu and turned to the back page and showed me, in small writing, a statement saying couvert is chargeable.

Unfortunately many passing tourists will get ripped off by these con artists. In the U.K. this place would not be allowed to trade but here it appears it gets away with it. Make a stand and do not give this business your trade. AVOID at ALL cost

Reviewed 19 June 2018

We were given a flyer for the restaurant and escorted in. We were shoved in the back near the kitchen and then ignored, service is not a strong point in this place. The food was awful when it arrived, and the “house wine” looked like a urine sample and didn’t taste any better! The free dessert we were promised was a thin sliver of shop bought Swiss roll with chocolate sauce squirted on it. All I can think is that they rely on tourists who are just there for a day and won’t return so they don’t care. I just wish we had checked the reviews before we were lured in as it looks like everyone has had the same experience. To add insult to injury the bill had a 20 kuna cover charge for each of us which wasn’t on the menu. Overall a really bad experience

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Having been given a flyer a couple of days previously, and looking for somewhere which served 'local dishes' for our last night in Dubrovnik - we decided to try this place. Service was very slow, and the 'ree welcome drink' never arrived. However, reading other reviews - doesn't sound like I missed much (shot of apple juice). Food was 'canteen quality' - mine was a local speciality of beef braised in a sauce with gnocchi, beer was standard beer - but at nearly twice the price of other bars at 70 kn, while most other expensive bars charge about 45 - and those outside the walls charge 30!
The final insult, not forgetting the 1 cm thick free piece of swiss roll that I had to ask for, was the 20 kn pp cover charge.

Note that this is the restaurant that used to be known as "Gusti" - it appears that they changed the name to try and lose the bad reputation. However - it looks like they've not changed the food, level of service or the charges - and are gaining the same reputation see https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g295371-d4714921-Reviews-Restaurant_Gusti-Dubrovnik_Dubrovnik_Neretva_County_Dalmatia.html

1  Thank fozzie2015