“Great lunch stop”

Ranked #36 of 373 Restaurants in Annapolis
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Red Hot and Blue is a full-service, casual-themed restaurant chain and caterer featuring delicious award-winning ribs, Memphis-style barbeque, smoked wings, and Southern sides and desserts. The atmosphere is steeped in legendary and contemporary blues music and delivers a large dose of Southern hospitality in a fun and entertaining dining environment. History: The first Red Hot and Blue restaurant opened in Arlington, Virginia in 1988, started by Lee Atwater, Don Sundquist and friends. Don Sundquist was from Memphis and served in the House of Representatives and as governor of Tennessee. The late Lee Atwater was an amateur blues musician and political figure that managed George H.W. Bush's successful race for the presidency. These men were friends who longed for authentic Memphis-style barbeque and great blues music. Unable to find that combination anywhere in the Washington, DC area they decided the only way to get it done was to open a restaurant of their own. The Memphis-style barbeque chain celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2013 by partnering with a charitable organization at 24 different restaurant locations. The yearlong celebration culminated in the presentation of thousands of dollars in donations to local charities. The Name: The name, "Red Hot and Blue" is taken from the title of D.J. Dewey Phillip's radio show that that aired on WHBQ-AM in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950s. This radio show launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash and broadened the audience for artists such as BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Rufus Thomas. Red Hot & Blue Dine-In, Take-Out and Catering. Hickory-smoked Memphis-style BBQ, Ribs, Wings, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Seafood, Full-service Bar, in a Family-friendly atmosphere with a heapin' helpin' of Southern Hospitality!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a great lunch stop on your way to or from the beach. The lunch menu during the week is great. The portions are large,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you like BBQ and the Blues, make a stop at Red Hot and Blue. I usually hate restaurant music, but RH&B plays great music.

But truly, stop by for the BBQ. So many types to try, and I am still working my way through the menu. My current fave is the beef brisket -- super lean, super tender, and super moist.

I am fussy about my sides, but RH&B's potato salad is better than I could make at home.

Now for my confession. When RH&B first opened, I tried it and was really disappointed. YEARS PASS, and I do mean YEARS. This Spring I thought I'd try it again, and I am kicking myself for all the great food I missed because I judged them by their original offerings.

Word of advice, if you are doing carryout, make sure to order at least 20 minutes before you show up. RH&B's carryout is so popular that you may have to be on hold for a few minutes before you actually get to speak to someone to take your order. Consider this wait to be proof of how great the food really is.

Sandra L, Manager at Red Hot & Blue, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Celeste, we appreciate your feedback and positive review. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The food here is very good, especially the burnt brisket ends! We got it as an appetizer and shared them. Delish!

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Met with a group of 8 friends and no fuss or big deal from wait staff. We enjoy their barbecue and friendly service. Salads are good too, and you can have a few with meats added. Sausage sandwich is a favorite of my husband. Very good potato salad as well.

Sandra L, Manager at Red Hot & Blue, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

AnitaS484, thank you for your kind comments. Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

I didn't go to the restaurant but they were the caterers at a festival I was at. We had the smoked sausage, so flavorful we also had smoked turkey, very tender, nice thick slices. We also had pulled pork and chicken with macaroni salad, creamy coleslaw and potato salad and green beans(not over cooked.) Everything was fresh, delicious and hot with generous portions. The BBQ sauces were very tasty. I would surely visit the restaurant after having the catered menu.

Paula9852018, thank you for the positive comments about our catering menu. We do hope you will visit one of our restaurants soon. Sandra