All reviews free breakfast felt safe short stay across the street pollo close to the airport midrange flight
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

My family of four and nine others joined us for a week stay in Managua. The hotel is very clean, breakfast is authentic Nicaraguan dishes like Gallo pinto, eggs, fruit. It's a little different every day, delicious food and great coffee. The service was very attentive to anything we needed. My kids enjoyed the pool. The grounds are well kept and show many different types of local plants, coconut trees, mango trees, flowers, and a huge tree in the garden area that is home to lots of birds. The hotel is priced well and conveniently located. The only drawbacks are the birds get up when the sun does at 5 am and they are pretty loud. On Friday Saturday and Sunday nights there is a loud kareoke bar across the street, some of our group had trouble sleeping until the music stopped. We had a fan in our room so the noise didn't bother me! Jaina a server in the hotel was very friendly and wanted to practice her English with me while I practice my Spanish- sweet lady!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Great little Motel in great location. The rooms are clean and well organized . Lots of electricity outlets for phone charger etc. Big desk and drawer space. A.C. works great with good sized flat screen T.V. Large closet in bath area. Sink with lots of space for toiletries. Shower with warm solar heated water. Gated security guard on duty 24 hours. Small but very clear clean pool. Free breakfast not so good. Rice & Beans egg toast coffee same every day. Restaurant food overpriced and bland.

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2017

My family and I have stayed here several times and we always leave satisfied with the service rendered. Some of the people that work here like Uriel have been there for quite some time and he is THE nicest human being. He has gone out of the way for me on several occasions and I can't thank him enough. I'm not sure who owns this property, but I hope they read that the reason we come back is because of people like Uriel, Darwin, Juan Carlos (waiter), and David (waiter). As concerns the actual property, I will highlight some points that I feel may help you in making a decision:

Rooms: Every single room we have stayed in have been clean. Are they luxurious, no. not by any means, however they are comfortable. At home I sleep on a temperpedic mattress, so I thought I'd have back issues sleeping on the beds at this hotel, but I didn't. I slept like a baby. One thing I should mention is that their "cama matrimonial" is equivalent to a full size. Although smaller than your traditional queen size beds offered at most hotels, it was still comfortable enough for 2 people to sleep on. Each room has a blow dryer, dove shampoo/conditioner, bar of soap, and fresh towels and hot water (I'm spoiled and need hot water to shower, lol). The A/C is great. Never had an issue with getting the room cool, in fact sometimes I had to turn it off because it got too cold. There is a small flat screen in the room w/ basic cable tv, which we hardly used because we weren't there much.

*They charge you extra if you have more than one person in the room.

Safety: There is 24 hour security. At night, they close the gate and someone is always there to open it if you get back late. We never felt unsafe. I will say this-- across the street, there is a bar that is super loud some nights. You can hear music and sometimes people singing Karaoke. I heard it isn't the safest place to go, but I'm not really sure because I never checked it out. Regardless, I enjoyed listening to the music. Another thing is there is no safe in any of the rooms, however, I never had anything taken. When I came back, everything was neatly organized and complete. Now--- I'm not saying just leave your valuables laying around. Be responsable but just know that my family and I have never had anything taken from any of the rooms, which really meant a lot. We also checked out for a few days as we were visiting other cities, and left some of our luggage there. They put them in a locked closet under the stairs free of charge! How awesome is that?!? :-)

Food: FREE breakfast. I suggest you take advantage of this. I loved waking up in the morning and going with my messy bun and pj's to have breakfast. They always had gallo pinto (mixture of beans and rice) and cheese along with some variation of eggs, fruits, bread. My cafe con leche was always yummy and I LOVED their jelly. Whether you're a carnivore or a vegetarian, you'll find something to eat. Also, we ate there for lunch and dinner a couple of times. The food was good, but like most hotels, a little overpriced. I do suggest you go to Multicentro (you can walk or catch a taxi) and eat at their food court or you can go to another restaurant off property. There are plenty that are cheaper and just as good such as La Finca Restaurant or fritangas (just be careful which one you go to because they are on the street and may not be as sanitary as an actual restaurant).

*Tip is included lunch/dinner bill. You can leave extra, I'm sure they don't mind, but just wanted you guys to know that. ;-)

Airport Shuttle/Transportation: First off, the airport is fairly close to this hotel. Once you have booked, you can have them pick you up, free of charge. They will also take you to the airport upon check out.

Grounds/Pool: The grounds were kept clean and tidy. There is a small sitting area by the restaurant and also by the pool. The hotel kind of reminds me of an hacienda. It is 2 floors, no elevators, only stairs. There are in the corrdors where you can sit and hang out. A few times we hung out at the hotel for a few before going out. Also, if you want to have a few beers, they sell them there BUT you can get them way cheaper at the gas station Puma which is a few blocks up the road at the roundabout.

Overall, it is a great place to stay whether you are staying with family or with your significant other. If you choose this hotel, I hope you guys have a great experience as we have.

Room tip: Any room should be fine. We stayed upstairs and downstairs and they were all fine.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lysette R
Reviewed 21 January 2017

Hotel Estrella was a pleasant place with good food, a pool, and a staff with many English speakers. It was not as elaborate or deluxe as the five-star hotels out by the airport, but it was only 15 minutes away and it offered airport shuttle. I felt safe there and the room was spotless but the shower did not have hot water, just lukewarm, to be generous. The restaurant's food was very good, modest in price, and the tomato soup was delicious.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank smk47807
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Need to clarify why I was disappointed with Hotel Estrella. The hotel is OK I guess, very average for a Managua hotel but I booked it through Hotwire at a rate well beyond what this hotel is worth. Hotwire, for those who don't know, is an app/site that lets you pick the price and then it usually gives you a really great hotel for that rate. This is the first time I've been disappointed with what Hotwire gave me. I had high expectations as for the same price I have stayed at the Hilton, Intercontinental or Barcelo Managua. But Hotel Estrella isn't nearly at those hotel's level. So if you spend $40-$45 for this hotel it is ok, but for $50+ you can do much better and for the $80+ I paid this time I was expecting not to have a room that badly needs paint, water stains repaired and dirty old curtains and a barely functioning shower.

Date of stay: July 2016