“A little insight to how it was”
Review of War Hostel

War Hostel
Reviewed 25 September 2017

This hostel had been recommended to me while I was travelling towards Sarajevo; I am glad I stayed.

The location of the hostel is in what feels like a local suburb, so this gives you a little insight to start with, however it is only a 10 minute walk from the old town and the tram lines. The walk is up hill but not too strenuous.
There is a mini market 1 minute walk away and the main brewery and bar is less than 5 minutes walk away.
While,you are given instructions on how to find the hostel I would say treat yourself and grab a taxi the first time. (Going from memory I think it was a flat rate of 10 BAM from the bus station .... be careful as there are two bus stations).

On check in I was given a map (which I did find a little confusing and unclear when walking around but this is a minor point) and I was invited to ask any questions about locations of places. What made this map great is that I was also given ideas about museums and points of interest that are not so well know ... for example, the places where you can see the 'Sarajevo Roses'.
There were tours that I could have booked on but sadly I had was referred to the internet to check them out.

The experience of the hostel was great and it made me think often about how it must of been for the people of Sarajevo. Taking a shower by candlelight for example or having background noises playing.
I enjoyed seeing the different equipment that was used during the war as well as reading all the different news clippings. For me this was all eye opening and educational.
I am sorry that I did not get a chance to go down to the bunker to watch some of the documentaries that are on offer and to be able to speak to the family about there experiences. ( I was only there for two nights).

Considering it is a War Hostel, the showers were good with hot water. The mattresses were very comfortable.
I would be a little concerned about the cold in Winter but I am sure the guys will have things organised for that .

I would suggest that you give this Hostel some of your time, perhaps a night or two is sufficient however if you are interested in learning more about the war, more. I hope that the family continue to expand this idea, giving new experiences and offering better understanding (about the war) for their guests.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I had the fortune to stay in this hostel for one night. This is not a simple hostel, this is a real experience. What I liked the most was the authenticity of this spot, and of the people who manage it. 01 and his wife Julia are extremely kind and available to answer questions about their lives during war, even if it's really hard to remember some episodes. We had the opportunity to watch documentaries in the bunker that they used during the war and speaking with them was really educative. The day after we also join a tour in the mountains over Sarajevo, where 01 showed us the defence lines, bunkers etc, always remembering his own experience. Take your time to reflect about what you'll see and listen from these beautiful people.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Come to the war hostel if you want a unique and authentic experience. 01 will talk to you about anything as long as youre interested. There is really no limit to what you can learn at this place. It was an incredible experience staying here and browsing through the room reading as much as possible. Movie nights are also very interesting and again 01 is open to any questions. You should not stay at the hostel without going on a tour. You will see things no other tour can or will show you, I will remember it for the rest of my life! Though the description says you should not come for comfort, the hostel is actually comfortable. You will not find a more unique or more authentic place in the city.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I teach high school history and wanted to learn more about the conflicts in the Balkans. Before I stayed here, I was skeptical about how deeply into the history the hostel would actually go. But trust me, you will learn as much as you want through access to tons of resources - artifacts, newspapers, photographs, recreated war graffiti, documentaries, and (most importantly) the lived experience of Zero One and his family, who run the hostel.

Zero One is great. He is intelligent, thoughtful, interesting, and has clearly done a ton of research about the conflict in addition to his/his family's own experiences. He's open to any questions you have (and you should DEFINITELY ask him questions, both historical and philosophical) and will take the time to help you understand Sarajevo, Bosnia, and the Balkans. His family is also really nice; I met his father briefly and his girlfriend let me borrow her hair dryer (thank you!!).

The Front Line Tour and the City Scars Tour were some of the best tours I've taken while travelling, ever. Even if you make the mistake of staying somewhere else, definitely email Zero One and take these tours anyway.

The hostel is historically interesting but also comfortable, and you have all the amenities you'd want, with the exception of lights in the bathroom and a 'normal' bed. That being said, the bathroom and bedrooms are VERY clean and VERY comfortable, the view out my window of the city was BEAUTIFUL, and the location can't be beat. Guests are a self-selecting lot (it's low-key, generally curious, intelligent people seeking to understand Bosnia), largely solo travelers, and quite small, so it was also very easy to meet people. I ended up staying an extra day.

It's also important to me when travelling to contribute to the local economy. The people who run this hostel are from Sarajevo; they're war veterans and survivors of the longest siege in modern warfare. Consider this, too.

And yeah, stay here.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

By staying elsewhere, one can come to Sarajevo and only skim the surface. They could take a free walking tour of the Old Town for a couple of minutes and think they've seen it all. These people are missing out on the chance for a deeply profound personal reflection, something that everyone experiences when they stay at the War Hostel.

My stay here was unlike anything I've ever had before. I was absorbed into the unique perspective of life as a Sarajevan during the 90s seige and learned of Zero 1's real and fascinating family story. The amount of hard work, pure heart and soul, that Zero 1 puts into this immersive setting is obvious. I HIGHLY recommend taking his personal tours where you will visit important places in and around the city, views that no one else will take you to like the Serbian front line and active minefields. You're taken out of your comfort zone and into the sad realities experienced by past and present inhabitants. You see what real life for these people is like. For me, this is the reason why I travel, to see the world for what it is.

I guarantee your time at the War Hostel will be one you won't soon forget and something you'll talk to your friends and family about in depth for years to come. You'll have an unforgettable experience in Sarajevo, unlike everyone else unfortunate enough to miss out on staying with Zero 1.

The picture below shows my group on the City Scars tour. I'll never forget my time here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo