Free cancellation until 29/07
US$139
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$179/night.

US$45
US$44
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$51/night.

Villa Melody(Sarajevo)
Aleja(Sarajevo)
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness centre
Agoda.com
All reviewsfront lineimmersive experienceeye openingsiege tourbobsleigh trackvisiting sarajevoold townbunkerdocumentariesscarsconflictgraffitihistoryrealitiesinsighthostelmattresses
Reviewed 30 August 2017

I had the fortune to stay in this hostel for one night. This is not a simple hostel, this is a real experience. What I liked the most was the authenticity of this spot, and of the people who manage it. 01 and his wife Julia are extremely kind and available to answer questions about their lives during war, even if it's really hard to remember some episodes. We had the opportunity to watch documentaries in the bunker that they used during the war and speaking with them was really educative. The day after we also join a tour in the mountains over Sarajevo, where 01 showed us the defence lines, bunkers etc, always remembering his own experience. Take your time to reflect about what you'll see and listen from these beautiful people.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Come to the war hostel if you want a unique and authentic experience. 01 will talk to you about anything as long as youre interested. There is really no limit to what you can learn at this place. It was an incredible experience staying here and browsing through the room reading as much as possible. Movie nights are also very interesting and again 01 is open to any questions. You should not stay at the hostel without going on a tour. You will see things no other tour can or will show you, I will remember it for the rest of my life! Though the description says you should not come for comfort, the hostel is actually comfortable. You will not find a more unique or more authentic place in the city.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I teach high school history and wanted to learn more about the conflicts in the Balkans. Before I stayed here, I was skeptical about how deeply into the history the hostel would actually go. But trust me, you will learn as much as you want through access to tons of resources - artifacts, newspapers, photographs, recreated war graffiti, documentaries, and (most importantly) the lived experience of Zero One and his family, who run the hostel.

Zero One is great. He is intelligent, thoughtful, interesting, and has clearly done a ton of research about the conflict in addition to his/his family's own experiences. He's open to any questions you have (and you should DEFINITELY ask him questions, both historical and philosophical) and will take the time to help you understand Sarajevo, Bosnia, and the Balkans. His family is also really nice; I met his father briefly and his girlfriend let me borrow her hair dryer (thank you!!).

The Front Line Tour and the City Scars Tour were some of the best tours I've taken while travelling, ever. Even if you make the mistake of staying somewhere else, definitely email Zero One and take these tours anyway.

The hostel is historically interesting but also comfortable, and you have all the amenities you'd want, with the exception of lights in the bathroom and a 'normal' bed. That being said, the bathroom and bedrooms are VERY clean and VERY comfortable, the view out my window of the city was BEAUTIFUL, and the location can't be beat. Guests are a self-selecting lot (it's low-key, generally curious, intelligent people seeking to understand Bosnia), largely solo travelers, and quite small, so it was also very easy to meet people. I ended up staying an extra day.

It's also important to me when travelling to contribute to the local economy. The people who run this hostel are from Sarajevo; they're war veterans and survivors of the longest siege in modern warfare. Consider this, too.

And yeah, stay here.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

By staying elsewhere, one can come to Sarajevo and only skim the surface. They could take a free walking tour of the Old Town for a couple of minutes and think they've seen it all. These people are missing out on the chance for a deeply profound personal reflection, something that everyone experiences when they stay at the War Hostel.

My stay here was unlike anything I've ever had before. I was absorbed into the unique perspective of life as a Sarajevan during the 90s seige and learned of Zero 1's real and fascinating family story. The amount of hard work, pure heart and soul, that Zero 1 puts into this immersive setting is obvious. I HIGHLY recommend taking his personal tours where you will visit important places in and around the city, views that no one else will take you to like the Serbian front line and active minefields. You're taken out of your comfort zone and into the sad realities experienced by past and present inhabitants. You see what real life for these people is like. For me, this is the reason why I travel, to see the world for what it is.

I guarantee your time at the War Hostel will be one you won't soon forget and something you'll talk to your friends and family about in depth for years to come. You'll have an unforgettable experience in Sarajevo, unlike everyone else unfortunate enough to miss out on staying with Zero 1.

The picture below shows my group on the City Scars tour. I'll never forget my time here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank atropoulos
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

You will definitely have a cultural exchange and remember staying here for the rest of your life. The hostel is his family's home he grew up in. I would recommend taking tours otherwise your missing out. They aren't your typical mainstream tour that you could get from other tour guides. All the tours have personal antidotes from the hostel owners family throughout the war. On the front lines tour you hike the trenches of the front lines and learn of his fathers role in the war. You will see a part of Sarajevo you would never get to experience otherwise. You will get to know 01 very well over the course of a couple days. He is a very interesting person... he's a very principled, honest, self reliant, respectful and transparent. You will see how the war effected his unique/interesting view points on the world.

Finally, for the digital nomads out there... the internet here is amazing. I conducted speed tests at near 1M down and conducted several google hangout teleconferences here.

My one critique would be the kitchen is pretty small for a hostel. So, for those that cook a lot you might dislike this part. But, I did really appreciate the map he provided. It was not your typical sponsored map and he provided about 5 recommendations for places to eat. We visited them all and were very happy with them. Food in general was very affordable at restaurants in our experience.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple