Villa Melody(Sarajevo)
US$233
US$134
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$186/night.

US$47
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$55/night.

Art Hotel(Sarajevo)
Free cancellation until 30/07
US$94
Ada Hotel(Sarajevo)
Hotels.com
Aladin and Arabella Apartments(Sarajevo)(Great Value!)
Aleja(Sarajevo)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsfront lineimmersive experienceeye openingsiege tourbobsleigh trackvisiting sarajevoold townbunkerdocumentariesscarsconflictgraffitihistoryrealitiesinsighthostelmattresses
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

You will definitely have a cultural exchange and remember staying here for the rest of your life. The hostel is his family's home he grew up in. I would recommend taking tours otherwise your missing out. They aren't your typical mainstream tour that you could get from other tour guides. All the tours have personal antidotes from the hostel owners family throughout the war. On the front lines tour you hike the trenches of the front lines and learn of his fathers role in the war. You will see a part of Sarajevo you would never get to experience otherwise. You will get to know 01 very well over the course of a couple days. He is a very interesting person... he's a very principled, honest, self reliant, respectful and transparent. You will see how the war effected his unique/interesting view points on the world.

Finally, for the digital nomads out there... the internet here is amazing. I conducted speed tests at near 1M down and conducted several google hangout teleconferences here.

My one critique would be the kitchen is pretty small for a hostel. So, for those that cook a lot you might dislike this part. But, I did really appreciate the map he provided. It was not your typical sponsored map and he provided about 5 recommendations for places to eat. We visited them all and were very happy with them. Food in general was very affordable at restaurants in our experience.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

The siege tour and War Scars of Sarajevo with Zero One was one of the most singly moving, informative, personal and emotional tours we have ever done. If you want to get a real personal insight and learn from this conflict, don't book any other tour. Thank you Zero One

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2017

Zero One (the hostel owner's name during the siege of Sarajevo) provided an intense, often disturbing firsthand account of his experiences during the conflict. He took our group on a tour around the front-line bunkers and trenches in the hills surrounding the city, as well as the Olympic bobsleigh track that was used as an artillery position. Then we settled in at the hostel for more stories and a look at his collection of items from the siege. It was an eye-opening experience, a glimpse into life under terrible circumstances.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Definitely exceptional hostel where you can experience something different, talk to authentic and honest people, sleep in uncommon environment.
Knowing a bit about history of Sarajevo I have to say that the place was designed with big attention to details. On the walls of the room you can find carefully replicated graffiti and craters after gun fire from Sarajevo's war streets. Lots of interesting articles, authentic objects from the war period. It was exciting to lit the fire in can stove.
Sarajevo Siege Tours just blew my mind. The intensity of the experience and closeness of the history was great. Thanks Zero One.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2017

I took a 6 hour bus plus spend a big chuck of euros to get here only based on the reviews. A BIG MISTAKE!

I'll start with the pros:
-good directions
-a nice view from lobby window

What's wrong:
-The hostel was not really prepared to provide the educational experience as well as conversations, dialouge and movies that so many reviews have written up. I talked to the owner/manager several times in the email prior to coming: maybe they should have mentioned that they will not servicing until May.

-The owner/son was in Poland for holidays and the father opened the door. I could tell from the beginning that he wasn't very interested. I had to ask him to GIVE ME A MAP and then to get him to give me some info on where to go. The map they provide by the way is quiet terrible/black and white and not very clear. Better go somewhere else to get a better quality map.

-Secondly, I was waiting for the documentaries that they show at night: NOTHING.
In the end, the son decided to answer any questions via SKYPE. If I wanted to talk someone on SKYPE, I don't have to come to Sarajevo for it. If I wanted to only read newsarticles, I can also do that anywhere else in the world. I thanked him.

-Then the father came down, with a negative tone, blaming me implictly..like THESE TWO CZECH girls love this place, so why don't you?

-If you are going to stay in place without electricity, and etc...then I expect to get some conversation and experiences out of it. This was not provided and it was not clear. In the end, I spend $10 same price in a better, another hostel.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amber K
01Zero_One, Owner at War Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

Yes, you are so right.

It's our fault you took the 6 hour bus, spend so much money to get here, just to stay only about one hour total here.

It's also our fault for being so unprofessional and totally unprepared.

All other guests which wrote here about us on TripAdvisor testify about this, to be honest, we really have no clue about what we are doing here.

We clearly don't know how to run the place, maybe you could give us some tips?
Like the map thing.

You are right about the hostel design as well, you can read war newspapers anywhere, what were we thinking when we designed this place?

What was I thinking when I took some time to talk to you over skype and answer all of your questions and tell you about my war experience? Like who would want to talk to me, a war survivor, about that alone, one on one?

The two girls from the Czech Republic which you mentioned must have been delusional to like this place, right?

I don't know why people bother to come to this place at all, you are absolutely right.

In the end, just as you say and I will quote you:
"In the end, I spend $10 same price in a better, another hostel."

Thank you so much for taking time to write this lovely review.
Highlight of this month, I really appreciate it a lot.

The owner - Zero One