“A place to learn and engage- not the party hostel you're used to.”
Review of War Hostel

War Hostel
Reviewed 11 August 2016

This is the most unique hostel I have stayed in... and Zero One is one of the most unique people I have met traveling. He is very dedicated to the place and the war is his life. He answers the door in full war garb, and as soon as you enter your senses are struck with everything war - newspaper clippings, graffiti resembling real graffiti from the war, bullet holes, helmets, guns.... It's the real deal. This family has done something brilliant which is realizing that they could turn the absolutely awful things they went through during the war into learning experiences for travelers to find out what really happened in Sarajevo twenty-something years ago. They do 5 different tours, all encompassing personal stories and experiences, which make the experience that much more educational when you can pick the brain of someone who went through it. Zero One is a beautiful person, one of the nicest I have encountered. He has been through a lot but keeps on keeping on. It's people like him that make traveling and meeting different people beautiful and help you learn more about yourself. When I was there all the guests were liek a big family and we all had pretty deep conversations on the regular about the war, human nature, culture.... so it's definitely a very engaging place, but like I said, when you are used to party hostels this is a fantastic place to come, learn, and use your brain for a change :P

Oh yes and the amenities are great, just what you would need from a hostel... you sleep under military blankets which are actually very warm and comfy, theres a little fridge and sink area, bathrooms are clean... decorations are cool too!

Room Tip: Private rooms if you need them, amazing view of the library from the window
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 July 2016

We stayed here on our honeymoon. In terms of accommodation it was very clean and had all the amenities you would expect from a hostel. It is very centrally located and our host's recommendations were spot-on (food, drinks, attractions etc.). The 'decor' was very well though out and thought-provoking. The hostel offers a number of tours related to the recent war and siege (these cost extra). We did the 'War Tour', which was a deeply moving and personal account of the siege and the rebirth of Sarajevo. Our host made us feel like one of the family, and went to great lengths to help us out (e.g. getting up very early to call a taxi for us). Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2016

I really didn't know what to expect from the War Hostel… though the incredibly positive reviews made me feel it was worth investigating. Well, they weren't wrong.

In terms of accommodation, the place ticks every box – but that's not what makes the War Hostel so special. The intense, immersive tour experiences offered here are like nothing I've ever come across.

What happened in Bosnia was so recent, and so unthinkably awful – people need to know about it. The War Hostel answers that need, with a thorough yet sensitive program of war-related tours. There are even moments of humour mixed in with the tragedy, to present a very human and touching account of the realities of war. Our hosts really brought the history to life, while inviting frank and open conversation on the subject. I felt I was able to ask them absolutely anything about the experience of surviving a siege.

I could write so much more about the many reasons I think people need to go and visit the War Hostel… but I don't want to spoil it for you. Just go.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2016

Before you continue with reading, please note that I was born and raised in Sarajevo. I had to flee the city at the age of 9 with my mother and young sister, while my father stayed, working for the UNHCR all 44 months of the siege. Most of my friends and relatives were trapped under mortar and sniper fire, and I always wondered how did they manage to function in the city without water, electricity, heating, adequate healthcare, prescription drugs, food supplies...
Well, you'll get an idea if you visit this hostel. It makes you thankful for the luxury of the running water while you are washing your hands, while you read and see how people collected rain-water and kept it in canisters and bottles in their bathrooms. It has educative and thought-provoking newspaper clippings and reports on the walls, doors and mirrors, war photos, war exhibits, examples of improvised everyday solutions that people actually used during the siege. Everything is very well arranged and thoughtfully envisioned, and carrying an incredibly strong anti-war message.
At the same time, it is a very clean hostel, with very friendly and helpful hosts, on an incredible location and with an amazing view. The only (small) problem we had finding it (the street numbers have no logical order, but it did not take us long to find our way).

Room Tip: Get the downstairs room. They cost 5 EUR extra, but are definitely worth the unique experience.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marina M
Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

You will neither regret your stay nor forget your stay at this hostel. Its a fascinating tour de force with an excellent host and beautiful facilities. Its close to the centre and they have custom maps with the best restaurants, food and sights. Best place i visited in the balkans!!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends