All reviews privacy curtains craft beer large lockers each bunk bed dorm steep hill fully stocked kitchen free spices plug sockets private room view from the balcony can't recommend this place enough individual lights wouldn't stay anywhere else free coffee and tea incredible city hour bakery
Reviewed 6 August 2018

This hostel is known for a bit of a trek to get there. Yes, it is up a steep hill that takes 15 minutes to walk to from the city centre, but the result is incredible views of the city from the balcony. There is a small commercial area behind the hostel with a couple of supermarkets, cheap bakeries and such.

The hostel has all the little things travellers want – a light and plug sockets for each person, plus curtains for each bed. The people running the hostel were also very warm and helpful, giving me detailed answers to questions I asked them on Facebook (such as best ways to get to and from Sarajevo from my other locations).

The highlight of my stay was a man called Safet. Myself and 2 others spent the day with him; he’s not a professional guide but instead a local who lived through the siege of Sarajevo. He took us up to the mountain villages in the area, which were magical, and answered our endless questions about Bosnia, Yugoslavia, Sarajevo, food and drink – everything. We were out with him for some 8 hours and it cost a total of 120 BM (€65) split between 3 of us. With a full car, it would’ve been 30 BM each which was worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

The Doctor’s House was a wonderful hostel! The owners of the hostel are extremely friendly and all the staff are fun to be around! They provided us with enough information to make the best of our time in the city and recommended yummy places to eat. The rooms were very clean and the beds allowed some privacy with a curtain. I also found the beds to be quite roomy. The hostel provided lockers for you to keep valuables as long as you brought your own lock. There was a nice view from the window, and a bakery not too far. The pub crawl offered by the hostel was a fun time and taught you a bit of history on the way. If I ever return to Sarajevo, The Doctor’s House is where I will be staying.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2018

Only 5-10 minutes up a (steep) hill from Baščaršija, the house is located in a residential neighbourhood.
It was interesting to see the daily activities of the locals: walking down to work in the morning, going to the markets, and hanging out at a cafe in the nearby square.

I arrived from the morning train from Mostar, and I was greeted by the owner Cat. She's a welcoming host and seems to know everything about the city. (Ask her where to buy good rakija to bring home!) She is not around the property everyday, but there are a few helpful volunteers living there. They are great people, usually organizing some kind of event every day, but not necessarily as knowledgeable as Cat and don't speak Bosnian. So be sure to ask all the tougher questions when she is around.

I really do like the house and facilities. It is clean, dorms have privacy curtains, individual lights and electric outlets, and large lockers. The 2nd floor bathroom always seemed to be occupied when I need it though; fortunately the ground floor one was usually free.

Full size kitchen with all the appliances, lots of spices, and make your own Bosnian coffee. No breakfast is included, but there is a 24-hour bakery a few minutes walk away, where you buy pastries for 1KM. Normally I don't care about breakfast, but I've been spoiled by almost every other Balkan hostel that serves them...
The house does have beer on tap, so balance a minus with a plus ;)

There is a balcony on the 2nd and 3rd floors with panoramic views of the city and Trebević mountain with its tiny cable cars. That's the reward for being up on a hill.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Great for meeting new people to explore the city with. Staff have great taste in music and are even pretty good at chess haha! Really enjoyed my time in Sarajevo in large part to this cool hostel with laid back and professional staff :)

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Loved this place so much. Cat the owner is so lovely and gives the house such a homely vibe. Being staying in hostels all over Europe and this was by far the best. I will definitely be back when I'm in this area again. :)

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple