“It is a must”

Admission Ticket to Machu Picchu Ruin and Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Although you can arrange this trip by yourself, booking trains, tickets and accommodation, I would recommend to book the whole tour, including the Sacred Valley from a local tour operator. We used Mondo Mapi Adventure, and it was ok.
Before going to the actual place, no matter when, use some mosquito repellent. Any, but USE it before going up.
Make sure to take some water and snacks with you before taking the bus or the trail. There is a coffee shop at the entrance, but the prices are as high as Machu Picchu.
You can visit the site twice with the same ticket, first with a tour guide, if you have one or you pay one at the entrace. The second time, you are on your own, and you can stay the whole day.
Make sure to take pictures along the way, since you cannot go back, unless you go outside and reenter.
Enjoy the view, relax, and maybe your are lucky enough to take a picture with one of the Machu Picchu's lama.
P.s. Don't forget to stamp your passport with the Machu Picchu visa, just near the exit!

Date of experience: November 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (18 314)
All reviews
"south america"
in 85 reviews

612 - 616 of 18 318 reviews

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Positives. Fantastic mountain site. Building incredibly well preserved.

Negatives. Tourists blight. In last 3 months they have introduced a time limited morning and afternoon ticket and one way system. There are guards which enforce the system,
Re-entry after ticket time is not allowed and stay is limited to 4 hours.

We visited in the morning with a guide (ticket 06.00-12.00) Our guide got us to the entrance at 11.00. We finished the circuit at 01.30 which is at the end of the one way system. You cannot walk against the one way.so you have to leave, No re-entry so not able to wander after guide finished,
The one way starts at the high aspect and drops down to the exit. If you want to visit the Sun Gate you need to do this first,

No toilets in site you need to leave to use toilets after the exit.

Our visit low season 1000 people per day high season 5000+

Date of experience: December 2017
2  Thank 244petery
Reviewed 10 December 2017

According to our hotel manager, she advised us to leave the hotel for the bus station (going up to the Machu Pichuu) at 4:30am. We bought our bus ticket 24US return the night before(taking you from the town to the visitor centre up the hill- if you prefer to walk, it will take an hour: leaving you not much energy to explore Machu picchu). The bus started at 5:30am, but a long line-up was there by 4:45am. However, many buses were there to shuttle people. We were at the Machu Picchuu at 0600-0605. It was hazy and cloudy...a little bit drizzling....need a jacket. Until 8:30am, the sky was clearing up; the breathing taking mountain ranges and the stony structures of the ruins stood out. Pairing up with the terrains, rivers, and bridges, I felt like in a fairy land. A deer was spotted in the ruin. The highest point of the Santuario gave a bird eye view of the town.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 10 December 2017

OK. It was a few months ago that I visited. But the experience is still very vivid.
First off, I read reviews of any place I am about to visit. So it is no different here.
I was reading several one and two star reviews. A lot of them complain that it is very expensive to visit MP; that tourists are made cash cows just to visit the place.
I do NOT disagree that it is very expensive to visit MP so I am not gonna give a one star review simply because of the cost. My review is about MP itself.

You arrive at Macchu Picchu Pueblo at the base of the mountain from your tourist train. Then you can either walk up or take the nice bus up. We took the bus up. At the entrance of MP, we hired a guide- despite the fact that I have read up on MP till my eyes fell off. A guide synthesizes information in a much compact manner. He asked questions to which I knew the answer cuz I read up on MP. Made the experience much more satisfying than blindly accepting everything on faith. Also allowed me to know if the guide was worth his pay. I asked him questions before I hired him. He knew his stuff.
We were led thru a small path flanked by two walls. At the end of the path the view opens up expansively and I saw the landscape dotted with nice intact stone buildings. Macchu Picchu! It took my breath away. My wife, so is not the avid historical person like me, was also blown away. Macchu Picchu definitely lived up to its billing! it should be on everyone's bucket list!
Most the building were intact. This was due to the fact that the Spaniards were not able to find this city. Some buildings and edifices were being restored or in the process of restoration. My guide told me these buildings were wonky due to land subsidence. You could see this in one of my pictures. You probably have read how the Incas carved the stone so well that you cannot put a piece of paper in between. If you see a wide gap between the stones this was because the land subsided pulling the stones apart.
When I was there, a lot of the routes were already one way. No backtracking. This was especially so with going up the Guardian's Hut. I almost got separated from my wife but I was able to sneak back to her.
Now I was there in May. I read that come July a guide was gonna be mandatory. I suggest anyone planning a visit to visit the Peru/Cusco/MP forum for updated information. Also, you are allowed to exit and reenter twice- to go to a bathroom, etc- but again check for updated information.
There is a left luggage area and a paid restroom and a canteen at the entrance of MP. Wish I could add pictures but TA has a limit on 95 mb of pictures.
Definitely go and visit this wonder. But be aware of the cost. If you don't like the cost, then avoid macchu picchu. It is the way it is set up. You can either accept it or leave it.

Date of experience: May 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 December 2017

There was some doubt we would be able to visit the site because a labor dispute over the buses that transport visitors to the entrance was raging in Aguas Caliente. Somehow we were a part of three buses that made their way up the many switch backs on the road to Machu Picchu in the afternoon. We quickly forgot about the real world angst and prepared for our entry into the sanctuary. It is impossible to sum up all of the sights, feelings and thoughts that comprise the impact of the visit in a short review. It is an experience that fosters awe and tranquility, humour and reverance. From the tiny details to the incredible magnitude of the construction, it satisfies any bucket list requirements. I'm certain we will reflect on this experience often.
Once we left the site, it was back to the transportation dilemma of no buses. As we pondered beginning our trek down the mountain, another option presented itself. A large construction truck with long benches on each side of the bed of the truck and a tarp covering a steel frame was being loaded with passengers to drive down the mountain. We hopped in. It was a questionable decision that ignored the lack of safety standards as approximately 70-80 people were crammed in to the back, many standing, to race down the mountain and the many switchback corners to the starting point in Aguas Caliente. Whew, we made it and it is a story to tell but also a caution to future travellers.

Date of experience: December 2017