“A True Wonder of the Ancient World”

Santuario Historico de Machu Picchu
Admission Ticket to Machu Picchu Ruin and Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 10 December 2017

OK. It was a few months ago that I visited. But the experience is still very vivid.
First off, I read reviews of any place I am about to visit. So it is no different here.
I was reading several one and two star reviews. A lot of them complain that it is very expensive to visit MP; that tourists are made cash cows just to visit the place.
I do NOT disagree that it is very expensive to visit MP so I am not gonna give a one star review simply because of the cost. My review is about MP itself.

You arrive at Macchu Picchu Pueblo at the base of the mountain from your tourist train. Then you can either walk up or take the nice bus up. We took the bus up. At the entrance of MP, we hired a guide- despite the fact that I have read up on MP till my eyes fell off. A guide synthesizes information in a much compact manner. He asked questions to which I knew the answer cuz I read up on MP. Made the experience much more satisfying than blindly accepting everything on faith. Also allowed me to know if the guide was worth his pay. I asked him questions before I hired him. He knew his stuff.
We were led thru a small path flanked by two walls. At the end of the path the view opens up expansively and I saw the landscape dotted with nice intact stone buildings. Macchu Picchu! It took my breath away. My wife, so is not the avid historical person like me, was also blown away. Macchu Picchu definitely lived up to its billing! it should be on everyone's bucket list!
Most the building were intact. This was due to the fact that the Spaniards were not able to find this city. Some buildings and edifices were being restored or in the process of restoration. My guide told me these buildings were wonky due to land subsidence. You could see this in one of my pictures. You probably have read how the Incas carved the stone so well that you cannot put a piece of paper in between. If you see a wide gap between the stones this was because the land subsided pulling the stones apart.
When I was there, a lot of the routes were already one way. No backtracking. This was especially so with going up the Guardian's Hut. I almost got separated from my wife but I was able to sneak back to her.
Now I was there in May. I read that come July a guide was gonna be mandatory. I suggest anyone planning a visit to visit the Peru/Cusco/MP forum for updated information. Also, you are allowed to exit and reenter twice- to go to a bathroom, etc- but again check for updated information.
There is a left luggage area and a paid restroom and a canteen at the entrance of MP. Wish I could add pictures but TA has a limit on 95 mb of pictures.
Definitely go and visit this wonder. But be aware of the cost. If you don't like the cost, then avoid macchu picchu. It is the way it is set up. You can either accept it or leave it.

Write a ReviewReviews (17 200)
All reviews
"hiram bingham"
in 82 reviews

198 - 202 of 17 200 reviews

Reviewed 10 December 2017

There was some doubt we would be able to visit the site because a labor dispute over the buses that transport visitors to the entrance was raging in Aguas Caliente. Somehow we were a part of three buses that made their way up the many switch backs on the road to Machu Picchu in the afternoon. We quickly forgot about the real world angst and prepared for our entry into the sanctuary. It is impossible to sum up all of the sights, feelings and thoughts that comprise the impact of the visit in a short review. It is an experience that fosters awe and tranquility, humour and reverance. From the tiny details to the incredible magnitude of the construction, it satisfies any bucket list requirements. I'm certain we will reflect on this experience often.
Once we left the site, it was back to the transportation dilemma of no buses. As we pondered beginning our trek down the mountain, another option presented itself. A large construction truck with long benches on each side of the bed of the truck and a tarp covering a steel frame was being loaded with passengers to drive down the mountain. We hopped in. It was a questionable decision that ignored the lack of safety standards as approximately 70-80 people were crammed in to the back, many standing, to race down the mountain and the many switchback corners to the starting point in Aguas Caliente. Whew, we made it and it is a story to tell but also a caution to future travellers.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

Just completed spectacular 11 day trip to Machu Picchu with my son including LIma, Cuzco and the Sacred Valley. All arrangements were made 6 months in advance with Adventures within Reach (AWR). I contacted AWR through their website and was connected to Barbara Collander, who emailed me all the information I needed. Barbara was extremely attentive to my needs, 2 days Lima (tour), 2 days Cuzco (tour), 1 day Sacred Valley (tour), 4 day hike on Inca trail ending at Machu Picchu + 1 day tour of ruins with climb to Huayna Picchu (highly recommended). All arrangements were made with Barbara to perfection, including transfers and tickets. I only needed to book the flights: JetBlue to/fro Lima and AeroPeru to/fro Cuzco (not recommended, use Avianca instead). Some essentials for trip: At least 2 cameras with extra battery packs, cool Indiana Jones hat with chin strap, Travel Insurance through Smartmouth, I used Trawick, $1M Hazardous Activity with $250 ded for $73pp. 3L Camelback for hike on Inca Trail, money belt to hold passports, Salomon Lightweight hiking boots with sports jel insert, Climacool hiking pants with zippered pockets, underarmor heat shirts, all weather socks (from Cosco), bug proof sleeping bag liner (they provide sleeping bags at $25pp), lightweight sweatshirt with hood and down jacket (both foldable). You should also bring plenty of ziplock bags to protect non-waterproof items (like toiler paper). The hike itself was subcontracted to Explorandes. We had an unbelievable guide, Manuel, plus 2 cooks and 15 porters. There were 7 people in our group. Poles, tents and air mattresses were included. The food and service on the trek was fantastic. Got a Hep A shot for trip and Diamox prescription for altitude (could have used cocoa tea in Peru instead but didn't take the chance). All in all, we were very lucky with the weather, cool summer mornings, hotter sun in the afternoon, a little cooler at night. Everything was blooming in Peru, with beautiful hummingbirds, butterflies and plenty of llamas along the way. I booked the low season (Sept - Dec) to avoid crowds on the trek. All our rain was overnight. Absolutely recommend this trip and itinerary for anyone who wants to see Peru on a fairly limited budget. Also, bring Peruvian soles (about $200 USD pp). They really come in handy.

2  Thank ivan695
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We had the pleasure to visit Machu Picchu last week. It’s all we hoped for and more, worth every step to reach the top. Our trip was arranged by Metropolitan Tours and included vista dome train and guide. To view the ancient city of the Incas is an experience we won’t forget.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 December 2017

I was simply in awe! While MP must be the most photographed site in Peru, being there in person was an experience of a lifetime. The official guide, Edward, was also informative and for 160 soles, it was worth getting his services. Don't forget to have your passport stamped of the MP logo near the bus loading area!

So why did I not rate MP as excellent? Because there are improvements that should be made by the local officials to make your visit more hassle-free. Prepare to queue for everything! The bus from Pueblo to MP was $24 round-trip and it took 20 minutes. The queues are long at the Pueblo and when departing MP! The toilet queues are long as well. And prepare to pay for it at 1 sole. They will really squeeze every penny from you (lol). Queues as well for that perfect photo-op going to the Caretaker's Hut. In other words, bring lots of patience when you visit MP and your bucket list will be happily checked like I did :)