“A must try if you are in Cusco”
Review of La Casona Del Cuy

La Casona Del Cuy
Ranked #235 of 909 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Casona del Cuy Restaurant, we are specialists in the preparation of guinea pig meat in Cusco , Peru
Reviewed 14 April 2016

After reading the other reviews about La Casona Del Cuy, my wife and I decided ... well actually my wife decided that we should try it. At first I was very reluctant to try cuy (or guinea pig) because as an American guinea pigs are mainly considered pets and while I never raised one, I still think they are very cute. However, during a visit to the main cathedral in Cusco, we saw a version of The Last Supper. In the center was a plate of cuy. So I said to myself, if it was good enough for Jesus, then it's go enough for me.

The restaurant is located just off the main road through Tipon. There are many similar restaurants that serve cuy in the area, so make sure you enter the correct one. Tables are placed on the lawn in the central courtyard and the wood oven (looks like a pizza oven) is off to one side. There's no menu, the only choice you get is, what do you want to drink and how many cuys you want. My wife and I ordered one to share, but most of the locals ordered one per person. The dish is served with a bed of pasta and potatoes so it was quite filling.

The meat is very tender, the skin nice and crispy. The taste is somewhere between chicken, pork and rabbit. There's a very slight gaminess to the meat - normally I don't like gamey tasting meat, but this is quite delicious.

Should I have an opportunity to visit Peru again, I'll definitely be coming back here to have more cuy.

Ask for Rodrigo - he speaks excellent English and very happy to help.

Date of visit: April 2016
2  Thank vma03

Reviewed 14 September 2015

We wanted to try guineapig, and according to our hotel, the place to go was Tipon. Our front desk made reservations for us, and upon arriving at the restaurant we were greeted with big smiles and genuine enhusiasm. The food was very nice, and well worth a try when in Cusco. If you want to try guineapig the traditional way, go to this place.

Date of visit: September 2015
3  Thank Odd_Arne
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Our driver recommended this place as the best restaurant to have cuy. Very authentic, you will get the sense of real Peru, but if you're a sanitary freak don't go there. They chop the cuy touching it with their bare hands. One whole cuy is enough for two or, depending on your appetite, even for three people. We ordered 3 for the 5 of us and could not finish the last one and bagged it for our driver to take home. The cuy costs S/. 40 here vs S/. 60-70 in Cusco, a real bargain. I personally didn't like it that much, but my sons and their friend chewed on its every bone. The place is not easy to find as it is located in a little alley off Route 3 in Tipon (not in Cusco).

Date of visit: September 2014
3  Thank Ron S
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We found this place by chance and it was a maravilla.con a patio at the front. lemonade and delicious cold drinks. the guinea pig, which was fresh and tasty. Friendly service...

Date of visit: June 2014
3  Thank Franklin C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

A friend recommend La Casona del Cuy to try Guinea Pig, he was just right!! I had a great Cuy experience. They are happy, quick and Cuy was perfect!! Everyone should have their 1st guinea cuy experience here. Im definitely coming back!!

Date of visit: March 2013