“Worth A Visit”

Restaurante Los Faroles
Ranked #169 of 670 Restaurants in Cuenca
Cuisines: American, Ecuadorean, International
Description: In a city bursting with restaurant choices, El Farol Restaurant stands out.Relish the magnificent views of the city from our 9th floor restaurant. Enjoy our delicious and innovative international cuisine. Savor classic cocktails in our traditional bar. Los Faroles is a treat for your palate and your eyes.
Reviewed 25 August 2015

A great restaurant with a panoramic view of Cuenca. The manager, Victor does a great job of making sure everything is perfect. Food and service are top notch. The only drawback is that the restaurant is only open for dinner (6-10). It would be nice if you could have lunch there.

Date of visit: June 2015

Reviewed 3 August 2015

About 14 months ago, I wrote a report on this restaurant. It was a bad experience. Things have changed much for the better. I live near this restaurant which is on top of the Presidente Hotel - one of the best hotels and views of Cuenca. There is a new look and youthful English speaking management in the hotel and this is reflected in Los Faroles. There is a very nice bar with large stools which is rare in Cuenca along with tables. The view to the south is expansive - mountains with Turi visible and often jets arriving at CUE. The dining area is visually appealing because it is elegantly set up and a view, more expansive than the bar, of the northern part of Cuenca. Bring your camera!
I have eaten many of the items on the menu from appetizers through to desserts. All have been well prepared, appealing in presentation, and delicious. Prices are a little high but are reasonable for a hotel restaurant and the very good, personal service.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 25 November 2014

I don't eat out for breakfast often, but when I do, I usually find the same fare and the same mediocre quality. There seem to be only so many items offered. For a Sunday brunch (there are not too many restaurants open on Sundays because Cuencanos devote this day with their families and stay home), a few friends and I visited Los Faroles for the first time. Located high up in the El Presidente Hotel in El Centro, the menu looked typical. Several of us ordered omelets of varying kinds. They came with either papas fritas (french fries) or chifles (housemade potato chips, but fresh and hot from the fryer). The omelets were not too dry or wet, and were incredibly flavorful, very different from the usual dry flavorless egg dish often found for breakfast. The papas fritas were exceptional - they were extremely hot, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The chifles were outstanding - like no potato chips I've ever had. When I finished, I wanted to have one of every dish again - not because I was still hungry, but because the food was so delicious. The views from the 9th floor restaurant were amazing, and one could see the best of the famous and beautiful colonial architecture - many of which you could never see from any other perspective down on the street. Highly recommended - especially for a Sunday brunch - but I'll bet dinner would be fabulous, with its great view of the city!!

Date of visit: November 2014
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This restaurant is located on the 9th floor of El Presidente Hotel at the main street Gran Colombia at 6-59 near the intersection of Hermano Miguel. The panoramic view of the city is an added treat while dining. Almost every one who was dining at the time were expats. I came here with four friends for breakfast. The servers were all attired in suits to reflect a formal and fancy atmosphere.
The breakfast buffet is $10 or you can have the menu. The buffet is mostly cereal, some cheese, ham, juices and eggs. It was not worth it to indulge a huge meal just starting the day. So we all opted for the menu. My meal was 3 pancakes and papaya juice. The 3 stacks were tiny but the plate was garnished with 3 cutup strawberries and a banana with honey. My friends all ordered eggs benedict. They all said their food was delicious. There was like hollandaise sauce included to put on the eggs.
I paid for one of my friends' breakfast and mine which totaled $15. Note: The tip is automatically included which they call "servicio" so read your receipt so you won't double tip unless you want to be generous and tip more.

Date of visit: August 2014
Leslie B, General Manager at Restaurante Los Faroles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I'm so glad that you and your friends enjoyed the spectacular view and our food. On behalf of all of us at Hotel President and Los Faroles restaurant, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I dined at Restaurante Los Faroles a few days ago with my husband for the first time. The restaurant is located on the top (9th) floor of Hotel El Presidente on Calle Gran Colombia in El Centro, Cuenca. We had a table near the window with a view of the city, as the sun was setting. Our waiter, Alfredo, was as professional as any waiter could be, with impeccable timing and manners. He spoke only Spanish, but when I told him (in Spanish) that I spoke very little Spanish, he told me not to worry. "Todo esta bien." Then he asked if we were celebrating any particular occasion, and we told him it was our anniversay. A minute later, Alfredo presented me with a lovely bouquet of red roses.

We ordered a bottle wine and one appetizer to share. Alfredo brought us a second complimentary appetizer: artichoke dip and rolls. The appetizer we ordered was fried Camenbert with strawberries. Both were delicious.

Gourmet salads preceeded our main courses. I enjoyed corvina (sea bass) with a lovely mushroom sauce, baked tomatoes, asparagus, and seasoned rice. My husband had filet mignon with sides of baked carrots and parmesan potatoes. We both thought our meals were tasty and nicely presented.

By then, we were both full and planned to pass on dessert, but Alfredo had yet another surprise in store for us . . . a complimentary dessert! It was some sort of a nutty tort topped with a fruity chutney, set on a large plate. "Feliz Anniversario" was written in strawberry cream around the dessert, and rose petals were placed around the plate's edges.

In all, our bill for this lovely meal which lacked nothing came to $58! We were so pleased with the setting, service, and food at Los Faroles that we look forward to returning very soon.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank Randy B
Leslie B, General Manager at Restaurante Los Faroles, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We are so happy that you enjoyed your anniversary dinner. I'll make sure pass along your comments to Alfredo.
Let us know the next time you have a special occasion and we'll try to make it even better!