“Overall a nice meal but small unhappiness at paying bill”
Review of Makan@Jen

Makan@Jen
Ranked #622 of 14 151 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Reviewed 12 October 2018

We went there as a group of 9 people and the service was good. Cafe staff are attentive and friendly and approachable.
All of us choose 3-course semi lunch buffet as we managed to book via eatigo at 20% discount.
Ambiance is nice and is a comfortable settings especially for big group. It was not very crowded so we had a good time in the restaurant.
Choices of salad buffet is so so but the rojak is really nice!
Dessert buffet is good with good selection of ice cream and cakes and even sweets!
The main course only have 2 to 4 selections and one of them need to pay extra. According to the staff it rotates every day depends on the chef. My colleague was a little disappointed that there is no laksa today.
Overall nice experience and we were happy with the food and the place.
However, we encountered a little unhappiness when paying. I tried to pay via Samsung Pay which supposedly can pay via all credit card terminal, including the normal machine (MFT) and the NFC machine.
The cashier insisted that their credit card terminal cannot accept NFC but I explained to her that Samsung Pay works with MFT machine too. She did not accept my explanation and seems irritated. I tried again and requested her to let me try and she agreed. When I use my samsung pay, it connects with the machine and a blank paper came out. The staff in an unfriendly tone repeated again that samsung pay could not work. I gave up and pass her my card which then only she keyed in the amount and charge to my card. It was then I realised when she let me try with my samsung pay she did not key in any amount and that is why the empty paper came out.
I was very disappointed in the cashier's attitude and her unwillingness to assist customer. It is ok not to know the new technology but it would be good if they can maintain their professionalism and provide good consistent service just like the rest of the staff in the cafe.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank woeiyuh

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Went there to celebrate our monthsary, however, we were utterly disappointed. Went for the Asian lobster weekday buffet. The food was nothing but salty. Everything was salty and for me who loves salty food feels that it is very salty.

In the e-menu they put on their website, they did not mention that they would be serving BABY lobster. They are very few pieces of Boston lobster. They chop it up into pieces and stir fry it together with baby lobster and slipper lobster. Thus, you will need to find those pieces yourself. Not to mention that the seafood was tough and not fresh.

The ice cream was okay but the desserts were too sweet for my liking.

Date of visit: October 2018
Jeremy_Gomes, Manager at Makan@Jen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Hi Simin S

Thank you for sharing your dining experience with us. We are truly sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience. Please be assured that we had no intention to disappoint you. We value all feedback as it will definitely help us move forward in terms of service and food quality. Please drop an email to me at nicholas.choong@hoteljen.com as I would like to touch base with you to personally apologize and also how we can turn this unpleasant experience into a memorable one. I sincerely look forward to meet you personally.

Nicholas Choong
Makan@Jen Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2018

It's been awhile since we were last here. Happy to note that the main course choices have been refreshed. There was a reasonable salad selection, bread and mainly asian desserts. There were also asian tropical fruit ice creams (coconut, yam, mango, durrian etc) and free flow beverages. All tucked away 10 floors above the bustle of Orchard Rd shopping. The staff were accommodating and gave a free slice of blueberry cheesecake for birthday celebrant!

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank 1Ming

Hi 1Ming

Thank you for sharing your fantastic review with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your overall dining experience with us and the excellent service provided by our friendly team. We would like to hear from you how we can gain the extra rating from you to give you the best dining experience for your next visit to us. We hope to see you again soon.

Jeremy Gomes, Food & Beverage Manager
Hotel Jen Orchardgateway Singapore

Reviewed 10 September 2018

I chose Makan@Jen due to the ratings and reviews on various food blogs. I went there to celebrate my partners birthday and we were gravely disappointed. We've made it our mission to visit all famous buffets in Singapore, and sad to say this was the worse one.

We went there on their seafood themed night (Friday) hence we were expecting a nice spread of seafood. The seafood was not as fresh as we would have expected, and there was not much variety. It also took awhile for the chefs to replenish the food. We were not enticed to grab a second serving which was a first for us.

Even though the focus was not on the meats that day, we were still excited to try them all. However, the meat dishes were tough and some were even cold. We barely finished any meat dishes after one bite.

The rest of the food was just average, and my partner being someone who rarely has anything bad to say about food felt the same.

The dessert spread was alright, the pies/tarts being the cherry and pineapple tart if I did not recall wrongly were very dry. However the lemon cake and strawberry cake was decent. Presentation of the cakes were a little messy by the time we got to it, there were crumbs everywhere.

Lastly, there was a live station. At least we believed so, which had noodles. We didn't get to try them, as there was no one mending the station. They had an open concept kitchen where the chefs prepared the dishes hence there was no one to attend to us.

Based on our experiences with buffets, we would like to suggest that the waiters/staff could go around urging their guests to have a last serving of the food prior to closing. As that seemed to be common practice at other buffets we've been, to minimise wastage and to allow everyone to get their last rounds of food before clearing up. The chefs/employees were clearing up before we knew it, which was very abrupt as we felt. It gave us the feeling that they were in a hurry to close up their dinner service. Based on their seating capacity, I felt that it would not have been too difficult to inform us before clearing as there were only less than 20 tables left that night.

Overall, this is the first time I am writing a review for any food establishment. It could be us being there on a bad day, as I notice that there are many great reviews. But based on our experience, i would definitely not come back as there are so many better alternatives out there waiting for me to try. To each her own, do give it a try if you wish. But i do hope that improvements could be made to better their service and variety of food.

Date of visit: September 2018
Jeremy_Gomes, Makan@Jen Manager at Makan@Jen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Hi FelTWF,

Nicholas Choong
Makan@Jen Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

My friends and I were there for semi lunch buffet yesterday. The selections of apetiteze were a lot. The salad counter impressed me, the freshness and selections. We tried rojak as well, the sauce tasted quite good. The ambience was very good. The staff were all quite helpful and friendly even though they seemed like working under minimum staff. There was a staff who names Rebecca, she has a very good attitude and smile. Her made me feel so warmed.

However, the main course was under expectation. It was presentable but tasteless. What I had was rendang chicken with rice.

We may visit there once again and hope the food would have improvement.

Date of visit: August 2018
Jeremy_Gomes, Food & Beverage Manager at Makan@Jen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Hi Sze W

Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our delectable semi-lunch buffet and the excellent service from our friendly team. We will convey your compliments to Rebecca and we are sure she will be delighted to hear that. We have also taken note on your feedback about our main courses and we will act on it the soonest to give you the best dining experience for your next visit to us. We hope to see you again soon.

Jeremy Gomes