“Dwindling standards”
Review of Tanuki Raw

Tanuki Raw
Reserve with Chope
Tanuki Raw is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #972 of 12 522 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar, Fusion
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Description: A tanuki is a mythical, mischievous, shape-shifting creature often pictured outside Japanese restaurants holding a bottle of sake. Keeping to the spirit of its namesake, Tanuki Raw offers a mash-up of Japanese-inspired cuisine with the playfulness of American street food and global influences. Dining out has taken on too much seriousness; whether it’s the decorum, cuisine boundaries, or ambience, there is too much focus on everything except for whether or not the food is good. With the ethos of, “Make food that tastes good,” Tanuki Raw strips away rules, boundaries, and preconceptions of how various flavors go together in the search to create tasty, fun, flavorful food.
Reviewed 5 October 2018

I first visited Tanuki Raw a few years ago, shortly after it first opened. I remember the food being reasonably priced and of . I revisited this year and was appalled to find that it was nothing close to what I'd expected.

We were seated indoors, right beside the automatic door leading to the outdoor terrace. I understand they were short on tables, but it really is an unpleasant spot to be seated at. It's quite tough to enjoy your meal while having gusts of warm air blasted at you every time the door opens.

We ordered a bottle of prosecco to start and it took quite a while to arrive. When it finally did, our waitress clearly had difficulties opening it. After quite a bit of a struggle, we decided to take over and open the bottle ourselves. We were provided with an ice bucket but apparently there were no stands available, so it had to be placed on our small and already overcrowded table. We ended up putting it on the floor.

We ordered oysters, a couple of their rolls, some sashimi and other bites to share. Oysters were poorly shucked and as a result, a couple of my oysters were mangled and filled with water from the melting ice. They were smallish but for the price, I can't complain too much, I'd just wished they were properly prepared. Their "instagrammable" maki was definitely not instagrammable, unless you're going for the brown and unexciting aesthetic. Sashimi and spam fries thankfully did not disappoint.

Doubt I'd return.

Reviewed 27 September 2018

It was a great dining experience. Went there during the Happy Hour and ordered the meaty oysters. It was shiok. The Chirashi was yummlicious, the sashimi was appropriately sliced, good number of different types of sashmi. All served on their signature rice mix. Awesome and worth the money.

Review collected in partnership with www.chope.co
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Tasty and reasonably priced donburis. The maki was average at best and a best expensive. Crowded during lunch. Service was ok.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

didn't disappoint.. tried the bara chirashi this time.. good serving.. sashimi bowl can't go wrong.. need more than 1 piece of scallop though...

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Visited Tanuki for dinner with my friends. The place was quite nice and spacious. It wasn’t crowded when we reached as it was early at about 6.30pm.
We ordered the Osyters, Wham fries, Chirashi and Foie Gras Beef rice. The Oysters were a little small but fresh. Wham fries was interesting. Foie Gras beef rice was quite good except the beef was too chewy for my liking. The taste was good but the cut was wrong.
Service was average but the meal was definitely valued for money.