All reviews soft pillows free wifi high altitude within walking distance three nights potala palace humidifier china oxygen shower
Reviewed 16 January 2017

We stayed at the Minshan Hotel in Lhasa for 3 nights.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The rooms were well heated and beds were luxurious.

The location was a little bit out of the way. It was about a 20-30min walk to the Bakor area. But the walk past the Potala Palace was enjoyable.

The component that really let this hotel down was the service and unfortunately this was largely due to one man on the reception. On more than one occasion he was very short and unwilling to try to assist us. This hotel obviously catered more for Chinese tourist than Western Tourists so the staff English skills were low. This language barrier was not an issue for us as we had experienced it many times throughout our China travels and were always welcomed with people who tried their best to help and assist us. This was not the case at the Minshan Hotel. The young, tall Chinese receptionist made no effort to assist and often just ignored us. On one occasion our tour guide had asked if he could arrange for our luggage to be taken up to our room and we were running late for an activity. When we arrived back to the hotel that night some 4 hours later our bags (containing many valuables) were still sitting in the lobby area unsupervised. When we asked the male receptionist why the bags were not taken up to the room as requested he simply looked at us, shrugged his shoulders and ignored us.

My suggestions would be for the Minshan Hotel to employ a receptionist who was welcoming, friendly and helpful and at the very least smiled occasionally.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2016

This is a very nice comfortable hotel centrally located in Central Lhasa near the Potala Palace. The free breakfasts in the restaurant are excellent - combined Western, Tibet, and Chinese. Did not try Restaurant for dinner, but menu is very ample. Rooms are large and comfortable, with in room refrigerator, hot water for tea and coffee, and humidifier if needed for the high altitude. Bathroom is well appointed with walk in shower and both overhead and handheld shower heads. No English speaking channels on the TV. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. A very good place to stay in Lhasa.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2016

with friendly, efficient staff: the power went out in my room and at least three people came up to fix the issue immediately! the rooms are pleasant with queen bed, cotton sheets, pillow top mattress, soft pillows (you can ask for three different styles of pillow including neck support). bathroom has everything you need including rainshower shower head and easy control hot water. breakfast include international and regional choices; wait-staff equally pleasant, helpful and friendly... thank you!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2016

This is China. The government controls the temperature in most hotels we were told. The heavy comforters make for hot sleeping in all the hotels we stayed in and this one was no exception. The rooms were hot even though it was cold outside. We had a meeting in the restaurant which was very cold. Hotel was very clean. They have oxygen if you need it for a very reasonable price...priced hourly. The gift shop has nice Tibetan jewelry...no bargaining. The location is near the palace and lake which is nice to stroll around at night. Good supermarket next door. An ATM which actually worked across the street. ANother one is on the same side of the street but had a long line. Staff was very accommodating. Close to most all.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank msk60750
Reviewed 28 April 2016

This is a Chinese hotel. What this generally means is that sometimes the hotel will have a weird smell, smoking is allowed, the breakfast is horrible and the room will have some nonsensical design like improper shower drainage and/or a window into the bathroom. So, while I can't really say I enjoyed my stay, I will say that the room was relatively clean, comfortable and a much better price than some of the "nicer" hotels like the Shangri-La or St. Regis.

Cleaning minus: The carpet was dirty. It had hair from who knows who and lot's of lint on it, but we asked house keeping to come and clean it and it was much cleaner afterwards.
Water: They give you two small, measly bottles of water for free. But never fear! There is a convenience store right next door to the hotel where you can buy appropriately priced water and snacks. You will need a lot of water. It is very dry in Lhasa. I drank about 4 bottles a day.
Breakfast: Breakfast is terrible. The high altitude means nothing will stay cold for long, so everything except the eggs cooked by the chef will be cold or at best lukewarm. There are always two different kinds of concentrate juices, tea, coffee. There are freshly cooked fried eggs, some Chinese vegetable dish, a meat+veg dish and either a noodle or rice dish everyday. I found many of the main dishes too spicy, but I do have low spice tolerance. I would usually eat two open-faced fried egg sandwiches, a bit of whatever Chinese dishes looked appealing and a piece of fruit from my room that was purchased on the street outside the hotel.
TV: There is only Chinese TV. There is one news channel that sometimes has english speaking hosts.
Wifi: The wifi was reliable.
Censorship: There is heavy censorship here which will cause some vpns to not work. If your vpn stops working go to youku and search whatever english language show you want. The site might have it. I was able to watch Friends and Big Bang Theory on Youku during my stay.
Location: The location is the best part about this hotel! There is a big supermarket right next door where you can buy all sorts of food, snacks, drinks and toiletry items. Also, there is a Dico's right next door as well (fried chicken fast food). My altitude sickness made it hard to get out of bed. It was a godsend to be able to quickly get something into my stomach and then be able to lie down and rest.

Room Tip: I felt the potala view room was worth it but if you could careless go cheaper. You view the backside of the palace.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends