“An awareness opening experience”

Dialogue in the Dark Hong Kong
Ranked #1 of 97 Museums in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience an "Unseen" tour you never experience before. Unlike ordinary sight-seeing spots in Hong Kong, we offer a "dark" and inspiring experience. Please visit our website for more detail. PRE-BOOKING for English tour is essential as there are only a few English sessions daily. Opening: Mon-Fri 10:30-19:00, English sessions: 11:30, 13:45, 17:00.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I read about Dialogue in the Dark in a book called Learning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Taylor Brown and knew I wanted to experience it. There weren't any opportunities available in North America but fortunately I was planning a visit to Hong Kong and made a point of buying two tickets because I knew I could find someone to come with me and I did :). Dialogue in the Dark provides participants with an opportunity to engage in a number of real life activities in the dark, complete dark, as if they are blind. We were guided through these experiences by a visually impaired person so in fact the blind were led by the blind. Our guide was Joanna - I hope I remembered her name correctly. (Since I am a visual learner I depend a lot on seeing a and writing down a name to remember it.). We were taught how to use a cane along with our others senses to discern things like whether we were in a park or a forest, to find a seat on the ferry, in a cinema, at a bar, to identify and select produce, to cross a street and more. I'm glad I had the foresight ti invite someone else along for this adventure. We had a lot to talk about on the metro ride back to our hotel on Hong Kong island. It is easily accessible by transit. You exit into a thriving neighbourhood which provides a 'look' into how the 'local' people live. Another learning opportunity :)
It's advisable to book ahead. There are only 8 people in each tour and it is available in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.

All reviews
"mei foo"
in 17 reviews
"guide henry"
in 7 reviews
"an eye opening experience"
"an eye opener"
"experiential"
"simulated"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I don't have problems sleeping in a dark room but when it comes to working together with your team members aiming towards a goal, this gave us a mind blowing experience, just when you think you can see through everything with your eyes, there are other senses that you have not utilized before. We were guided through by amazing staffs such as Joey (very funny guy) , Alex, Cecilia (her voice is so sweet and soft!) and Elsa, thanks team!

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Without spoiling the experience for others...............just go! Go with an open mind and come out with a different view of the world. HENRY was our guide, he answered all our questions with honesty and clarity, very well done and enjoyable.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

Worth it; very enlightening experience. Daniel was our tour guide who was wonderful with teens. not too far out of the way, easy accessible via MTR and a 5 minute walk.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 May 2018

I've had been in similar exhibitions but this is defintively one of the best I've been to. We were a family of 6 people (including an 8 year old child) and someone we didn't know attended this english speaking tour which lasts 75 mins.

I won't go into any details in order to not to spoil anyone, but if you've got free time and want to experience something different, this is your venue to go.

It is literally pitch dark there and you will not see anything, but you'll get a guided experience how it may feel like if you're blind. We all always felt safe and did definitively have fun. To the team of Dialogue in the Dark: thank you a lot for this outstanding experience!

3  Thank travelFromZurich
EresTang, Front Office Manager at Dialogue in the Dark Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

We are all glad to hear your positive feedback which are great support and encouragement to our tour guides and the Team.

You are mostly welcomed to introduce our experience to more friends and let them to have a chance to take part in such unique experience.

We hope you could remember the experience and inspiration for good. Hope to see you or your friends in the Dark!