“This place should be shut down!”
Review of Beijing Zoo

Beijing Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
US$68,00*
and up
Private Half-Day Beijing Zoo Panda House and...
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As everyone else i wanted to see pandas, that’s why i went there. I did get to see them, which was nice but that was the only thing that was ok. Rest of the zoo is just absolutely terrible. It’s animal cruelty, really!!! The animals are living (if one can call it life) in tiny cages that look like they were built in 1945. The glass is usually pretty dirty and there is no place to hide. When i saw elephants i thought i would cry. It is so disgusting, unbelievable. Those majestic animals have less space than i have in my apartment... I don’t know. I do understand if you want to see pandas, i did too, but otherwise this place had to be shut down!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 118)

5 - 9 of 2 118 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Aside from the pandas, which seem relatively well taken care of, the living conditions of the other animals in the zoo are atrocious. The wolves had an enclosure of barely more than 100 sq m that consisted of bare dirt and a dead tree layer on its side. The polar bear could easily have been mistaken for a brown bear it was that filthy and small - it was laying on its side in a bare concrete enclosure with no visible water.

I’m actually angry at myself for paying the admission. We had heard it was not to the same standards as large zoos in western countries, however the difference was astounding. This zoo needs to be shut down and the animals rehoused at other facilities equipped to properly care for them.

2  Thank RationalHaze
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The pandas were what we wanted and they were great. The elephants actually made me cry. Because of the smog they were locked inside for the day in tiny little cages and you could see where they had thrown faeces at the windows obviously trying to get rid of viewers. Very sad.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Me and my wife took the underground to the zoo where there is an exit right outside the entrance.

The zoo has a modern air conditioned cafe at the Panda section and a lake in the centre where people were sitting round enjoying the sun and having picnics but I don't think the animals were having as much fun. It is very dated and most of the enclosures were small and bare with many of the animals looking bored or afraid.

Best to avoid!