All reviewslama templemetro linenice hotelhotel employeesperfect locationbreakfast restaurantenglish languagegreat wall of chinaminute walkrooms are spacioushutong areataxi driverforbidden cityhotel is locatedthe executive loungebeixinqiaoconcierge
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I stay here for business. I have to say it is as simple as that, this hotel is not worth the money you have to pay.

Three main issues:

1. Bad service in F&B area. In a 5 Star Hotel I expect little English language. It was hard to communicate.

2. House keeping is bad. The breakfast restaurant was dirty. The dirt on the floor under my table has not been cleaned during my 2 days stay. The rooms are soso.

3. I paid a lot of money for an executive room. The lounge was not available, the room was standard, no service for the additional money.

All started with a cranky receptionist who was not in the mood to explain the hotel facilities to me.

Sorry to say, but this place will not be my favourite.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Damien_ROMAIN, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Beijing Dongcheng, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

We already organized the service training for them to improve the service skills and the sign for the food we will also try to make it more obvious to let the guest feels more comfortable.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed here on business and it was just not up to standard. To sell this as a 5 star hotel is a joke - more 3 star. Firstly my driver didnt show up at the airport despite my London company double checking that the pickup would happen. As a result I got into the hotel around 01.00 instead of 23.00 as I thought. Excuse offered was that their driver picked up someone else! To be fair David Jiang the conceirage was very apologetic and he agreed that my return trip to the airport would be free of charge. He is the one big asset to this hotel, he is friendly and speaks english and is just so helpful hope he stays there. The breakfast was so poor if you don't like chinese cuisine forget it. To give an example ,on my first morning I found the restaurant which is well hidden on the first floor and requested an omelette . After the waitress translated using her smartphone, the chef who appeared to be going off duty made this in front of me. Just as it was being handed over chef gave a great big sneeze and the waitress found this very funny so what a start! The waiter who appeared to be in a supervisory position , also had a problem with my room status and through broken english demanded money just as I was halfway through breakfast on my 2nd day there. This was rude of him in the extreme and both of us went to reception so that it could be sorted. He made me feel like I was cheating.I was on R and B terms but this wasn't channelled through to the restaurant. The room was poorly furnished and worst of all it was too hot - note air conditioning doesn't get turned on in April , so if you want cool air open the windows; but beware of the pollution which can be terrible. They did provide a fan on request but it was too noisy. Reception staff are helpful and do their best and housekeeping are also pleasant. The menu in the restaurant is very poor and as a result I survived on minestrone soup which was nicely presented and was delicious. The hotel is a medium walk to the subway which takes you to Tienneman square. There are shops mearby but they are nothing special.
So overall this is very poor value for money and I would never return here.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Damien_ROMAIN, Public Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Beijing Dongcheng, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your undesired experience during your most recent stay with us. Please allow us to express ours sincerest apologies for all inconvenience caused. We felt really sorry about that the staff’s service didn’t make you feel comfortable when you live in our hotel. We already organized the service training for them to improve the service skills.The Food and Beverage department will arrange the training for the kitchen team on how to arrange the breakfast and make the food deliver more reasonable.Once again, we appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Sincerely.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

When I arrived at the Grand Mercure Hotel I gave my credit card details to the customer service attendant and payed for the week I was to stay. Shortly after I checked my bank account details and I noticed an extra $800 (Australian) had been deducted.
I questioned the staff member about the extra $800 and she explained that the hotel always takes an extra $800 as a deposit and that it would take a few days to go back into my account?? This made no sense to me but I accepted it and kept checking my bank account daily.
6 days later, the day I was to leave the hotel and go back to Australia, the extra $800 still wasn’t in my account. I once again complained to staff but they said it can take a week. As I was leaving that day, I had no other option than to hope I will be refunded once home.
Would never stay here again and most certainly would not recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jackie T

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your undesired experience during your most recent stay with us. Please allow us to express ours sincerest apologies for all inconvenience caused. Meanwhile, rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address those concerns and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

I feel so sad for this hotel. It used to be my favorite place in Beijing (I'm still going there for reasons).
The hotel's service is getting awful; rooms getting old super quick ...
I had water leaking during my last stay. The staff switched me to a poorer room and they refused to help me carrying my belongings. The guy even said, I quote :"sorry this is not my job"
Again ... I feel so sad ... Used to call this hotel my second home.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business