New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$165
Reviews (2 936)
2 936 results
2 052
2 052
All reviewsgarden wingshang palacechi spaold winghorizon clubsummer palacein room diningfitness centerbusiness tripbeautiful hotelbreakfast buffetroom was spaciousroom ratetourist attractionsindoor poolconcierge staffbusiness center
5 - 10 of 2 936 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The room was nicely appointed, with a comfortable bed, a nice desk, and a spacious bathroom with nice amenities but the decor itself felt a little out of date.

I, unfortunately, did not have the opportunity to take advantage of most of the facilities but I did enjoy the breakfast buffet. It was fantastic, with a nice mix of high-quality Chinese, Western, and Indian options. Since I had an early departure, I also appreciated the fact that they had a Nespresso machine available in the lobby.

An excellent option on the west side of Beijing.

Stayed: June 2018
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear OJS56, thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing as your accommodation for your trip and we are glad that you like our buffet breakfast. If you have chance to visit us next time, I would recommend that you book our Valley Wing Premier Room along with Valley Wing complimentary services that are indeed a favorite of our many regular guests. Beside of the large room-size with bathroom is spacious in design, you will certainly enjoy benefits such as complimentary breakfast, snacks and beverages, free flow of wines available all day, one suit free pressing on arrival, shoe shine, free daily newspaper and fresh fruits and comprehensive concierge services. I believe this added touch will truly enhance your stay experience. Thank you for your patronage and helping us be a better hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. With kind regards, Stephan Kapek, General Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed at several Shangri-La properties in Beijing. It's a great chain and the other hotels are fine but this one is the best by far. After a few years of traveling to China, I decided to only stay there. I'm writing this after my 21st trip to Beijing in about the last eight years.

Staying on the Valley Wing Side, new from when Beijing hosted the Summer Olympics in 2008, is worth the price difference. You can check in directly there.The Valley Wing Lounge is located on the 12th floor and is open from 6:30 a.m. for an amazing breakfast with views of the city (admittedly not a glamorous view) until 11:00 p.m. at night. Happy Hour is from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. with an excellent buffet if you don't want to dine in any of the restaurants. That alone covers part of the price difference. The staff in the Valley Wing Lounge is excellent, although their fluency in language varies.

Azur on the first floor is upscale French cuisine, with a special Happy Hour every Wednesday for Valley Wing guests. There is also a buffet restaurant on the first floor of the other wing of the hotel which is next to the Lobby Lounge. Very comfortable with a good cocktail list and music at night. There is also an excellent Chinese restaurant and Japanese restaurant.

The gym is excellent and spacious, including with free weights.

Chi Spa has a wide range of massages and facial treatments. The atmosphere is soothing and peaceful. The treatment rooms are the best I've seen anywhere and I travel a lot.

The hotel is on the west side of the city, so very convenient for some things, like the major universities (Beijing Normal University, Peking University, Renmin University, and Tsinghua University) but less convenient for other things, like the financial district. Traffic is almost always horrible in Beijing so be sure to leave enough time for locations not near the hotel.

If you haven't been to Beijing, I would highly recommend you stay at this hotel on your first trip. If you are a Beijing veteran and have a hotel you like, you still might want to try giving the Beijing Shangri-La a try someday.

Room Tip: All of the rooms in the Valley Wing are quiet and none of the views are great to every room is basically the same.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Dear RGE49, thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing and for taking your valuable time to write a review. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us, particularly our comfortable guestroom, food, Health Club, Spa etc. As you mentioned, our Valley Wing guestrooms are indeed a favorite of our many regular guests as it comes with complimentary breakfast, cocktails at our Valley Wing lounge that as well includes business center benefits. Once again, thank you for your recommendation and we do wish to welcome you back again. With best regards, Stephan Kapek, General Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a very good hotel and recommended to stay in. Housekeeper is very nice and sweet. When she was house cleaning and saw my laptop with a mouse without a mousepad, she had left me a note with a mousepad on it. Chinese massage at 6/F is also very good. No.67 massager is very good for the in-room Chinese massage, the pressure is right on the spot where i feel painful.

Very good hotel overall with good attitude and smile around.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Dear mlo42018, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. Your comments are very important to us and we appreciate you sharing these with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and if there is anything that would make your future stays more comfortable, please let me know. With kind regards, Stephan Kapek, General Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I usually take for granted that all Shangri l a properties are great. Not this one. I did not feel the need to read reviews before booking a Shangrila, but came back and realised there are others who felt the same as I did. I stayed 3 days.
The property is jaded, staff are untrained or grumpy, food is average.
1) Housekeeping is average.
2) No one in the staff ever smiles.
3) Breakfast spread was average, and dishes weren’t being refilled at the right pace during peak time. Business travellers get 15 mins for BF and it can’t be spent waiting. In every luxury or 5 star hotel the usher always asks you for tea or coffee during buffer breakfast. Not here.
4) There is an abundance of staff in the breakfast area but they’re all like headless chicken.
5) Someone decided to ring the bell 3 times and then walked into the room on the day I was checking out, asking if I wanted to give laundry! who checks for laundry on check out day at 11am?? - either processes are lacking or staff are untrained
6) Check out took 30 mins. There were 3 staff at the reception doing checkout at peak time .. 12 was checkout. I reached at 11.30, left at 12. There were 2 others who were busy doing something else together at the reception. The queue became 15 long shortly after I reached. No separate check in/ check out for members.
7) Ordered some kway teo in the lobby lounge at 11pm. Extremely average preparation. I couldn’t eat it.
Now every time I stay at a Shangri la I will have to check reviews. I’ve been travelling 20 years but never came across such a shoddy experience at a 5 star, almost everything was wanting. Stayed at Kerry Pudong also a shangri la property right before this and that was just great!
I saw a response from hotel mgt to some poor reviews to switch to the valley wing for a better experience. My suggestion would be to re-brand the garden wing if it is not upto the level of a shangri la so guests are not misled.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo

Dear PriaTA, thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing as your accommodation for your trip. However, we also note your disappointment with the facilities and condition of our Garden Wing guestroom did not live up to your expectation. Thank you for your patronage and helping us be a better hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. With kind regards, Stephan Kapek, General Manager

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

sadly I have to give it a 3 stars, during our stay we found our room slighted dated, old, the place needs a touch up on interior refurbishment. It might be a typical 5 star hotel when it first opened, but I would only consider it a 4 star now with the rooms showing its age very clearly. the service is ok when we stayed. and the food is very good.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Baizhou C, thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing as your accommodation for your trip and we are glad that you like our food. However, we also note your disappointment with the facilities and condition of our Garden Wing guestroom did not live up to your expectation. If you have chance to visit us next time, I would recommend that you book our Valley Wing Premier Room along with Valley Wing complimentary services that are indeed a favorite of our many regular guests. Beside of the large room-size with bathroom is spacious in design, you will certainly enjoy benefits such as complimentary breakfast, snacks and beverages, free flow of wines available all day, one suit free pressing on arrival, shoe shine, free daily newspaper and fresh fruits and comprehensive concierge services. I believe this added touch will truly enhance your stay experience. Thank you for your patronage and helping us be a better hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. With kind regards, Stephan Kapek, General Manager