“Great Malaysian food in the heart of Beijing.”
Review of Cafe Sambal

Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Houhai
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is in a renovated hutong right near the Bell and Drum Towers and is so cute. The food is super! I had a laksa, green papaya salad, and teh tarik (two of those, actually) and the meal was spot-on. Five stars for the food. The only time I've had better Malaysian food was when my Malaysian friend -- an outstanding cook in her own right -- made it for me.
The place gets four instead of five stars because 1. It's expensive. Like "foreigner hotel" expensive. 2. The place was nearly empty and while I appreciated being left alone, I timed it.....no one came around for nearly 40 minutes when I was ready for another teh tarik and my bill. Now to their credit I didn't actually get up to go find anyone, but this place is tiny -- someone could have come round once and a while just to make sure we were all happy.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

Malaysian Food. Decided to order Curry Chicken to taste out whether is the original taste from Malaysia. It surprise me as is still the same (as i'm Malaysia). The price for a lunch here is much more expensive than i expect. 1) Curry Chicken + 2) Fried Rice + 3) Tom Yum Soup + 4) a bowl of white rice and + 5) a glass of lemon tea = around CNY250 to me is expensive as this is just a simple food. Service = there is no waitress to border when we are looking around while for ordering food, until i get up to the counter to inform the waitress there.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We decided to give this place a go and were happy we did. The starter we shared was a chicken satay with a twist. They came not on sticks but were little juicy mountains of chicken. I had the Malaysian honey chicken pieces with rice and it was delicious. My wife had a vegetable noodle dish which was yummy. We both had tea for a drink. I really enjoyed the food.

The staff were friendly and quick. We had a lovely chat with the owner and will definitely return to try some of the other dishes. Total bill was 259 yuan.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

The place is very nice, but I am not sure about the food.... I tried different dishes and I guess Malaysia food is just not for me. It's expensive as well.

1  Thank LulufromBrazil
Reviewed 24 February 2017

We went to this place for lunch right after visiting Drum Tower which is just 300m away. The interior decor is simple but nice with private dining rooms. The ambiance however is a more contemporary approach that doesn't really reflect the styles of the typical M'sian restaurant. Who cares anyway..

It serves authentic Malay cuisine, but the recipes are slightly tweaked to suit local taste buds with less intensely flavored compared to the original.

We have tried Seafood Fried Rice (RMB80), Roti Canai with Curry Chicken (RM45), Coke (RMB20) and Hot Tea (RMB10). To be honest, as a M'sian myself I don't quite like the taste but I do enjoy the ambiance of this place.

2  Thank Kakamal