“Great adventure along the Kenyan coast”
Review of Bike the Coast

Half Day Scenic Bike Tour
Ranked #10 of 87 Tours in Mombasa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover Africa off the beaten track: local people in their traditional settlements, palm and mango forests; fantastic views on Creeks and Mombasa North Coast. Bike the Coast offers different half day bush-tours on safe unpaved roads. With the mountain-bike you come closer to the local life than with any other means. All the equipment and at least 2 tour guides provided. English, German, and French spoken. Africa begins right behind your hotel - discover it!
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We where a group of six that booked a tour with bike the coast. We saw some places that we would never have seen in other ways and had a very interesting experience. We where lucky because the weather was cloudy when we started our tour and it was still very hot. I can imagine that some would give up on even warmer days! The equipment could be in better shape. Especially when you take the price of the tour into consideration, but all in all we had a great experience.

1  Thank AstridMi

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This Bike tour was very exciting. We have seen villages which you can\'t see so easily in another way (I think). And we have seen beautiful nature. The two guides are very helpful and careful. I really recommend this Bike tour.

1  Thank MatthijsV2014
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went for a half day tour which is typically of 24 Kms and runs across some hidden interiors of Mombasa/Kilifi area. This is a complete fun and definitely a unique thing to do at the coast. The bikes are well maintained, the guides are well trained and helpful. These guys know the terrain and the region very well. You get to see some amazing views of the Matwapa creek and some beautiful fields. Thank you team "Bike the Coast"...

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have been to Kenya several times over the last 10 years and have done a few short safaris to see the wildlife. This time we decided not to but got a little bored of just lounging around on our beach beds and feeling a bit lazy. Bike the Coasts operating base is located just off the Malindi Road next to the go kart centre and the Neptune and Severin hotels where I saw their yellow cabin one day and then looked them up on the internet. Liking what we saw we immediately booked up via email with Rolf. This was perfect and straight forward. We chose an 8am start and met Rolf at the operating base along with our two guides Anderson and Julius.
Rolf explained the four route options ranging from very flat and easy to hilly and challenging. We chose Bike Adventure, a 24km, 3 - 4 hour tour through villages with great views over Mtwapa creek. Rolf provides water, banana, gloves and a helmet and you chose one of the several bikes he has.
Julius and Anderson were great guides. Informative, patient and helpful throughout. A great experience and one that we would highly recommend.
We enjoyed it so much that we booked a second tour and did 'Along the Creek'. A 31 km, 3.5 - 4.5 hr tour. This time we had Benson with Anderson and again both were great. Fixing a puncture I got half way through in double quick time was no problem.
Both our tours cost 6200 shillings for the two of us. (Nov 2013)
Once again we can not recommend having a go at this highly enough if you are in Mombasa area.
Give it a go!

2  Thank bart1664
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have to say the only regret is not being able to contact Rolf sooner.
I saw the brochure at the desk of my hotel an immediatly wanted to contact them for a tour. I asked my hotel to call every morning but they kept insisting the number was no longer in service. The number is indeed in service!!!! Persevere!!!
My guide, Benson was OUTSTANDING! Very patient with my questions and picture taking. Constantly checking on my safety as I followed slowly behind him. As he is from Mtaba (sp) he was extremely knowledgeable and offered up info I wld not thought of asking. Benson seemed genuinely interested and caring that I had the best education he cld provide. Benson also went above and beyond the call of duty biking to MY hotel as I forgot one of his cameras. I only wish I had cash on me to tip him additionally.
Rolf was extremely amenable and made sure that I was comfortable on the bike and actually quite funny.
A couple of things to note. This is not for the occasional biker. If u r a weekend warrior I would discuss the level I difficulty before leaving. I bike a couple if times a week but with the heat etc it was a moderate challenge. I certainly know I need to work out more often. Lol.
You can stop and buy some wood carving for less of a price than in town.
You will stop at a very lovely local restaurant/bar for a rest. Bring cash.
Rolf prefers euros or dollars but accommodated my shillings happily.
Also rem, you will be biking through some very poor areas. The children will ask for candy. Bring something if you like more advantageous like some shillings or pencils or that sort. Small as you are limited. I gave Benson the things to hand out so as not to be swarmed.
EVERYONE was friendly and welcoming as far as I could tell. You will hear "jambo" so many times you will think you will hear it in your sleep.
So if you find yourself in mombassa and have the time, look for the go cart venue and take a tour!!!! It's a couple of kilometers past the Nakumart on the way to malindi on bramburi beach.
Enjoy!!!!
And thank you!!!, Rolf and Benson.

2  Thank nipride