The Shaza
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Kahama Hotel(Bamburi)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbedroom apartmentenjoyed our staypeterreceptionistbalconypools
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the shaza from the 21st December to the end of the year and it's a great place to stay everything perfect I even don't understand some of the reviews here.the only negative thing is the room service which takes over two hours to be delivered and quality of food poor. The rest is perfect,management,staff,location and facilities top notch..

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Shaza. The staff are very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The view of the ocean is amazing especially early in the morning. The downside is their cleaning staff have 'sticky'fingers.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Very nice place, great food, great ambiance, great customer service but poor management, ALTHOUGH WE LOVE THE HOTEL, the hotel has poor supplier relationship, bad credit score from partners and suppliers. I recommend the shaza for visitors but for suppliers its a big NO! You will cry to be paid for products or services rendered!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

terrible in paying their suppliers.they owe us a lot of money.after working for them last year featuve season till today they havent settled our payment.is that how they support small scale businesses people who supply for them?thats their livelihoods.
people should not be lies by the big and beautiful buildings.they owe a massive number of suppliers a lot of money.
managers are non responsive.
yet they take their salaries in time.
pay tour suppliers.dont potray a picture that all is well.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
5  Thank Elcaboos L
Reviewed 26 October 2017

The Shaza is about 30-45 minutes away from the airport. Taxi's will charge 2500 KES, but an Uber is about 1500. When we arrived to check in, we were greeted with passion fruit drinks. The check-in process was seamless and housekeeping assisted with bringing our bags to our room.

When entering the room (2 bedroom apartment), we were initially captivated by the views, but upon closer inspection (actually walking on to the balcony), you find out that the pictures are somewhat misleading. They are taken at angles to highlight the view. Witnessing it first hand, when you go out on the balcony, you're literally facing a construction zone. In order to see the views as pictured, you have to go onto the balcony and look to the left. The view off the master bedroom is of the pool and the other bedroom has a view of the construction.

On our first night, we decided to explore the restaurant. This was our only experience at the restaurant (outside of breakfast) and it was TERRIBLE. We waited for over 2 hours until we were finally served. I ordered a burger with cheese and fries. When I finally got it, there was no meat, just mushrooms and cheese on a bun. My guests and I are allergic to cats and they run in and out of the restaurant and hotel lobby freely. We saw them eating the leftovers off of other guests plates as we sat at the pool side bar. The long wait at the restaurant seems to be a common theme with the guests we spoke to there.

During our second day at the Shaza there was an incident where housekeeping entered our apartment without permission and stole money from our belongings. That morning, we specifically informed the receptionist that we did not want our room cleaned and for no one to enter. The receptionist acknowledged the request and we proceeded to the pool where we spent some hours. Two of our guests went up to the room to use the bathroom and found housekeeping outside of our door. When one asked if he had entered the room he replied yes and my guest informed him that we asked that our room not be cleaned. He replied that he was not informed until 3/4 of the way done cleaning.

After returning to the pool my two guests informed me that housekeeping had entered the room, but not trying to overreact, we stayed at the pool for a few more hours. Immediately upon reentry each of us checked our belongings because we had not secured them, believing that no one would enter the room as requested. We noticed money missing, in the amount of US$120. Earlier that morning, I counted and organized all of my money (USD and KES) so I know exactly what I had and what was missing. Immediately after noticing the missing money I called the receptionist desk and asked to speak to the manager. Josephine, who we later found out to be the Marketing Manager, came up and spoke with us. Josephine contacted the employee who had already gone for the day and informed us that we would need to make a statement with the police (which we did). Upon further inspection of the room, the room had not been cleaned (sanitary bags still sitting on the bathroom counter and the toilets had not been wiped down).

We also reached out to the point of contact, Margaret Mbaya (General Manager), provided by Peter (Airbnb host) via text, phone, and email to explain the incident, and have yet to hear back. Up until now a proactive effort on her end has not taken place in regards to communication about this incident. The lack of response from Margaret, is unacceptable and extremely unprofessional.

The incident with housekeeping stealing from our apartment was the last straw. It was a complete violation and put a damper on our trip. In all of our travels we have never been robbed or stolen from by anyone let alone the hotel staff in an apartment we paid for. Peter was informed of the incident and was apologetic, but to this day we have yet to hear back from Margaret, Peter, or the Bamburi police about the "investigation" that is supposed to be taking place. Peter did offer us a free night during a different stay which was a nice gesture, but very unrealistic after being violated in such a manner. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Alternatively, we did suggest Peter providing a refund for 1 of the 3 nights we stayed, but have yet to get a response, although he did read the message.

Generally speaking we found the apartment to be a bit overpriced, given that the amenities that were advertised were a bit deceptive (views, wi-fi, not in the rooms but only in the lobby area, hot water not guaranteed during showers, etc.). Having been violated in such a manner by the hotel staff, I will most definitely not be staying at the Shaza again and wouldn't recommend this experience to anyone let alone an enemy. I try to find the best in everything so my highlights would be check-in process and the pool. The pool is beautiful and definitely makes for amazing pictures.

There are also mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. On our first night, housekeeping came to our apartment unannounced to spray the rooms and bed sheets.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends