US$158
Orbitz.com
US$313
US$266
US$202
Cowrie Shell Beach Apartments(Mombasa)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$63
PrideInn Express Nyali(Mombasa)(Great Value!)
US$65
Agoda.com
US$132
US$94
Lol.travel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2017

The Shaza is about 30-45 minutes away from the airport. Taxi's will charge 2500 KES, but an Uber is about 1500. When we arrived to check in, we were greeted with passion fruit drinks. The check-in process was seamless and housekeeping assisted with bringing our bags to our room.

When entering the room (2 bedroom apartment), we were initially captivated by the views, but upon closer inspection (actually walking on to the balcony), you find out that the pictures are somewhat misleading. They are taken at angles to highlight the view. Witnessing it first hand, when you go out on the balcony, you're literally facing a construction zone. In order to see the views as pictured, you have to go onto the balcony and look to the left. The view off the master bedroom is of the pool and the other bedroom has a view of the construction.

On our first night, we decided to explore the restaurant. This was our only experience at the restaurant (outside of breakfast) and it was TERRIBLE. We waited for over 2 hours until we were finally served. I ordered a burger with cheese and fries. When I finally got it, there was no meat, just mushrooms and cheese on a bun. My guests and I are allergic to cats and they run in and out of the restaurant and hotel lobby freely. We saw them eating the leftovers off of other guests plates as we sat at the pool side bar. The long wait at the restaurant seems to be a common theme with the guests we spoke to there.

During our second day at the Shaza there was an incident where housekeeping entered our apartment without permission and stole money from our belongings. That morning, we specifically informed the receptionist that we did not want our room cleaned and for no one to enter. The receptionist acknowledged the request and we proceeded to the pool where we spent some hours. Two of our guests went up to the room to use the bathroom and found housekeeping outside of our door. When one asked if he had entered the room he replied yes and my guest informed him that we asked that our room not be cleaned. He replied that he was not informed until 3/4 of the way done cleaning.

After returning to the pool my two guests informed me that housekeeping had entered the room, but not trying to overreact, we stayed at the pool for a few more hours. Immediately upon reentry each of us checked our belongings because we had not secured them, believing that no one would enter the room as requested. We noticed money missing, in the amount of US$120. Earlier that morning, I counted and organized all of my money (USD and KES) so I know exactly what I had and what was missing. Immediately after noticing the missing money I called the receptionist desk and asked to speak to the manager. Josephine, who we later found out to be the Marketing Manager, came up and spoke with us. Josephine contacted the employee who had already gone for the day and informed us that we would need to make a statement with the police (which we did). Upon further inspection of the room, the room had not been cleaned (sanitary bags still sitting on the bathroom counter and the toilets had not been wiped down).

We also reached out to the point of contact, Margaret Mbaya (General Manager), provided by Peter (Airbnb host) via text, phone, and email to explain the incident, and have yet to hear back. Up until now a proactive effort on her end has not taken place in regards to communication about this incident. The lack of response from Margaret, is unacceptable and extremely unprofessional.

The incident with housekeeping stealing from our apartment was the last straw. It was a complete violation and put a damper on our trip. In all of our travels we have never been robbed or stolen from by anyone let alone the hotel staff in an apartment we paid for. Peter was informed of the incident and was apologetic, but to this day we have yet to hear back from Margaret, Peter, or the Bamburi police about the "investigation" that is supposed to be taking place. Peter did offer us a free night during a different stay which was a nice gesture, but very unrealistic after being violated in such a manner. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Alternatively, we did suggest Peter providing a refund for 1 of the 3 nights we stayed, but have yet to get a response, although he did read the message.

Generally speaking we found the apartment to be a bit overpriced, given that the amenities that were advertised were a bit deceptive (views, wi-fi, not in the rooms but only in the lobby area, hot water not guaranteed during showers, etc.). Having been violated in such a manner by the hotel staff, I will most definitely not be staying at the Shaza again and wouldn't recommend this experience to anyone let alone an enemy. I try to find the best in everything so my highlights would be check-in process and the pool. The pool is beautiful and definitely makes for amazing pictures.

There are also mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. On our first night, housekeeping came to our apartment unannounced to spray the rooms and bed sheets.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
7  Thank Naijia_Barbie
Reviewed 29 August 2017

This a delightful club property, with tastefully designed apartments and public spaces. I loved the three-level swimming pool with its mildly salted water, and the view over the ocean from our balcony was magnificent. Best of all though is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - each and every one of them.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Awesome place!!! Staffs are nice... Jane, Cathy.... Martin, Frederick, Peter, Victor and many others! All professionals. It was a nice time here once again. Room keepers are nice and timely with their job and the receptionist are timely with Immediate actions on request. The kitchen and pool attendants are top notch! Great view and scenes to wake up to.. every morning. Simply awesome

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2017

This place is gorgeous. Its well built with spacious rooms, great views, great swimming pools. The flip side of that is a 1/10 for service. We checked into a two bedroom furnished apt. The sheets had not been changed from the previous occupants. The shower still had gunk and slime from not been cleaned. Once you flushed the toilets the water run thus didn't fill the cistern and you couldn't flush again without jiggling the flush mechanism first.
Mosquitoes galore without nets. They do provide spray but i gotta say those buggers just didn't seem to all go down. You were guaranteed to find mosquitoes every evening because they left the windows open without a turn down service.
Missing utensils, No cups, no drinking glasses, no knives.
In conclusion, It is unfortunate that the Management does not meet the level of standard of The Shaza.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Njoki M
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

It's a beautiful place but you will not get value for your money
1. The waiters have no idea what most of the items in the menu are and half of the items are not available
2. Mosquitoes in the room