“Great conservation Experience - beautiful place in the middle of wilderness”
Review of Wilderness Camp

Wilderness Camp
Reviewed 21 September 2016

Everything here is eco oriented. Mixing and blending with nature a beautifully. Even the bathroom quite an experience with bucket water'. I was a bit skeptical at first because there was no fence the bushes seemed so near but then the morans are there to take care of you. I want to hide here many times its very seclusive and the perfect hide out for me who wants peace and quite while thinking, strategising and blending with the wild. the good thing is there are only a few people so no noise. The dinning area and the food is great. The staff were also kind to me. Asante Manfred for driving me around you are a great guide.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
BasecampKenya, Manager at Wilderness Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Wilderness Camp is our nostalgic tribute to the safari of the early explorers, offering guests an ultimate privacy and clear views into the vast savanna, no light pollution, and close to nature and we are glad you had time to enjoy yourself. Our entire team would like to thank you sincerely for finding time to write such positive remarks. It gives us immense pleasure to know that our services meet all your expectations. Your appreciation about our service and amenities is highly valued as guest satisfaction is our prime objective. We look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect stay.

Reviewed 21 September 2016

I was there with my husband Roberto from 1 night in August. It was an amazing experience. The place is just fantastic, it looks like you are in the middle of the savannah with all the comforts. The tends are perfect, and during the night you can hear the animals all around. It's a fantastic feeling. We had an amazing dinner - and so lucky to be the only guests on that evening! - sat around the fire with the staff was great and we had a super breakfast, after our game drive early morning. After that, walking to Eagle View Basecamp from there was just fantastic! It's one of the best and authentic place we've ever been and would fly back there immediately. A huge thank you to all the staff over there for treating us so well and for letting us take away with us so many indelible memories! Lisa & Roberto

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and the time you took to share your review with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Wilderness Camp. We are so glad that you enjoyed our great tents set in a superb location, very friendly staff offering exceptional services, great food and the great experience. We will share your positive remarks and appreciation to all our staff who made your trip memorable. We hope we shall have the privilege to host you here once again.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Stayed here as part of a tour taken from Basecamp Explorer on 30th Aug'2016. Reached here at around 3:00PM after driving from there main camp at Talek. Me and my wife were very warmly welcomed by the manager ( a very young and wise boy), Sylanke. From the very first instance, I fell in love with the camp. It is total wilderness but in absolute luxury on tents. The views from the tent are mindboggling. It is what we expect to see in Masai Mara. Our Masai guards for the night, Nick and Mama, kept guarding us throughout the night so that we can sleep in total peace. Sylanke always presented a smiling face and always provided more than expected to please us. Hot water is provided if asked and you just have to appreciate their effort to give running hot water in the jungle. There are just 5 tents here and we were lucky that we were the only guest for that night. So we got all the attention!!!!!! Must visit if you want to experience magic in wilderness. Thanks Sylanke, Nick for making it a memorable night in my life. Will always remember you all with respect.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good. So don't worry!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
BasecampKenya, Manager at Wilderness Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your happy experience at Wilderness Camp. We are delighted to know that you and your wife had a wonderful time and that our team was able to cater to your needs during our stay. We will share your comments with the team to further encourage them to maintain the best services to our guests. We look forward to your next visit, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

I spent two days on the Naboisho Conservancy as a guest at Basecamp Wilderness. Wow! The Conservancy seems to be meeting it's goals of habitat for large animals, restoration of a natural area, and allowing grazing where appropriate. Manfred guided me though my visit and admittedly the guide plays an outside role in how well the time goes on the Conservancy.

Wilderness Basecamp's initial impression is a sense of landing in the Garden of Eden and that sense never dissipated the entire time I was visiting. The tents are just beneath the western rim of Saddle Valley. With the tent unzipped, Giraffes seemingly floating lazily along the trees, baboons gliding through the grass, Wildebeest descending in long lines for a drink in the stream, I was immersed in the landscape. The immersion continued at night with lion roars, hyena barks and gazelle snorts echoing up and down the valley. The birds were welcoming the dawn each day.

Ok, so I visited on a shoulder season (highly, highly recommended) and I was the only guest in camp, so I undeservedly had 5 star service with an 8:1 staff:guest ratio, at least. The tents are luxury as the British must have invented it. Hot gravity shower, plumbing and solar power for lights and computers if you need them (I do). No detail was spared. The solar gain in the day rapidly disappears in the chill evening and between the campfire, the zipped up tent and the hot water bottles waiting in the bed, it is pampering I am not accustomed to.

Still, when I pointed out that three course international cuisine seemed to be removing me from a sense of East Africa, I was offered a full goat barbecued beneath an Acacia tree. I savored the opportunities to take dusk safari drives as well as walking safaris, protected by my companions on adventures I would never do alone and which are not options on the Masai Mara National Preserve.

At night, nothing but a screen and a security guard with a spear (who was mostly invisible) existed between the lions, hyenas, giraffes and I. And each morning the scat revealed just how close the animals come at night. Most of the time, the tent was open during the day and animals just wandered by. Sitting in my tent, dining in the main tent or out on the lawn, warming by the campfire or admiring the billion stars overhead at night, it was a magical two and a half days.

And after a hot shower, to stand there in the open, just as Adam likely did some years ago...

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Our entire team would like to thank you sincerely for finding time to write such positive remarks about our Wilderness Camp. It gives us immense pleasure to know that our services meet all your expectations. We are also glad to know that you loved our quiet location away from the crowds from the main reserve which is just how we like it too. We are also happy that you enjoyed all the animals coming through the camp during your stay. Your appreciation about our service and amenities are highly valued as guest satisfaction is our prime objective. We will certainly recognize Manfred and the entire staff for their great effort to make your safari more memorable. Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back for another picture perfect stay.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

Our stay at Wilderness will be close to our hearts forever and I don't think anything could ever match it. The staff are absolutely amazing - not only in service but in their personal approach to guests! We arrived as guests and left as friends. Alfred, Cylanke, Dorobo and Team you made our trip unforgettable. We spent time with the team around the fire in the evening and really got to know them. They engaged our children and Dorobo taught them to climb trees, shoot a bow and arrow and has the most amazing sense of humour. Alfred you made us feel so special and a part of the family. We wanted for nothing and your service and friendliness exceptional. Cylanke you ensured everything ran perfectly and kept us laughing and entertained. The singing around the fire is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. As Africans we are familiar with the bush and the animals and we had mentioned a few elusive animals that we wanted to see over and above the big 5 and incredible family of cheetahs that we saw. Cylanke and Alfred clearly communicated this to the guide and we were given the most amazing drive with Dorobo. He showed us bush babies, spring hares, bat eared foxes and Jackals. The most memorable sight was the baby Jackals in their den. The accommodation is superb and very comfortable, but the peace and relaxation of this camp is remarkable. We could easily have spent a week here. Thank you for making our three nights with you the most memorable holiday ever. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to return to Kenya and we would most definitely spend it with the Wilderness Team.

Stayed: July 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and the time you took to share your review with us. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Wilderness Camp. This camp is our nostalgic tribute to the safari of the early explorers, with ultimate privacy and clear views into the vast Savannah, no light pollution, and close to nature. Our focus is to provide an authentic safari experience, with all modern comfort, whilst maintaining a strong focus on sustainable tourism. We will definitely recognize our staff for their great effort in making your safari in Kenya more memorable. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.