“This tented camp is top drawer in every way!!!”

Eagle View, Mara Naboisho
Reviewed 11 January 2015

You come to the Mara area for the animals, but you will be spoiled by the wonderful staff and great facilities at this beautiful and charming 9 tent camp. It is a very intimate place where everyone works so hard to meet your every desire...great food, nicely appointed tents, great hot water and a view from above to watch the constantly changing game that makes their way to the water holes below the camp.

You will love the density of the cats in the Naboisho Conservancy...know as the finest in the Mara. Lions, Leopards and Cheetahs abound and the local Masai employees will tell you all you want to know about them. It was a great 3 night visit!!

THIS PLACE IS VERY SPECIAL!!!

Room Tip: the tents are well spread out...guaranteeing your privacy. we had the last tent out on one side and...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
11  Thank ccmarks

Reviewed 6 January 2015

When I planned my Kenyan trip I didnt even plan to come here but i am glad I got booked here. They have a very beautiful set up, The tents are some of the nicest I had seen in all my travels. Food was delicious, guides were great showing us all types of animals. Everything about this place was great. Highly reccomend it

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2014 via mobile

Our family of five (ages 8, 11, 14) travelled all over Kenya and wildlife here is incredible. While the view was spectacular and accommodations were wonderful, our guide Derrick made the trip for us! His knowledge of animal behavior was unprecedented. We saw lots of lions/cubs, a beautiful leopard and on and on. We had amazing night drives seeing bush babies and even a lion kill. Derrick would find animals that we could enjoy with our family without hassle of other vehicles. Thanks Derrick for answering so many kid questions and giving us memories that will last a lifetime. We also appreciated the incredible bush dinner by firelight. And the work Lincoln is doing at the conservancy to protect the animals is amazing. Our son would like to come back one day and help him with his projects. Thanks Eagles View for great stay!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 9 October 2014

After staying at Basecamp and Masai Mara National Park we had 2,5 days at Eagle View and the Naboisho Conservancy. The camp has a fantastic location with similar views and the accommodation in very exclusive tents with an a terrace outside with stunning views. The meals were delicious and held a very high quality, so did the service and having one of the breakfasts served in the wilderness topped it off! Walking safari was an adventure and great learning through our very capable guides. This is definitely an unforgettable Masai Mara experience that will not be forgotten!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2014

First of all, I would like to say that my review is not about Maasai Mara but only about our experience with the company Basecamp explorer and Eagleview camp in particular. Maasai Mara is fantastic and I really recommend this park. We were lucky enough to see the migration and the crossing and it was amazing. Our guide, Steve, was quite good at spotting animals and predicting animal behavior and it's thanks to him that we managed to see the crossing.

However, I don't think Basecamp is the right company to travel with. Based on the price we paid and the good reviews on Tripadvisor, we had very high expectations. Although the facilities at Eaglieview are excellent, we found the level of service to be not acceptable for this price level.

The facilities at Eagleview were perfect, but I honestly thought that the luxury minimalist style of the camp did not fit with the surrounding nature (but this is just my personal opinion, I'm sure other travelers will not agree). Although this was the most expensive hotel we ever stayed in, we experienced here by far the worst service among the three camps (Eagleview, Basecamp and Wilderness). The staff at the restaurant was often doing the opposite of what we were asking for (serving tea instead of coffee, still water instead of sparkling, dinner at 8 instead of 7 etc). In other hotels this would not necessarily be a big problem for us, but I think that in a camp that costs almost USD 1'000 per double tent per night, this is not acceptable.

However, this was not the worse. The lady at the reception a few times was rude to us and made comments such as "you must have lunch now because you are late and your guide is waiting for you" (on top of her bad manners, she didn't realize that the reason why we were often late was that the kitchen was late and we couldn't eat on time). Also, I gave some money to the lady to post my postcards and nobody has received them (I sent postcards from other lodges in Africa and everybody received them - but maybe it's just bad luck!).

I had a very unpleasant experience with the laundry service as well. Upon our arrival we were told that laundry service was included but that they refused to wash underwear for women. When I insisted that refusing to provide the service only to women is not an appropriate policy, the staff gave me some soap and replied that I should hand wash it myself (well, I don't think hand-washing my clothes is a good way of spending an afternoon in a lodge that costs almost USD 500 per person per night...). A few hours later I complained to the manager who was very reasonable and found a solution. However, when the next day we were given the clothes back, they were still wet. We traveled with wet clothes in our suitcases to Rwanda and there we had to pay someone to do the work properly.

The night drive was quite disappointing (we didn't see anything special) and pretty uncomfortable (a man we didn't know spend one hour standing with his feet on our seats and sometimes falling down on us). We had done another night drive somewhere else in Kenya and the one at Eagleview was a bit of a waste of time.

During our stay we did two walking safaris which were quite good, but we were not 100% convinced by their safety standards. Both times we went with three guides that were walking fast, talking among themselves and leaving us behind all the time. As far as I know, nobody drove in advance to check if there were any dangerous animals in the area (which is standard practice for other lodges). We took the risk and did it twice (we like walking a lot), but other travelers may not be very comfortable with these safety procedures.

During our stay we had a lot of rain and, even if I live in a cold country, at Eagleview I was cold all the time and I would not recommend this place to travelers sensitive to the cold (I was wearing all of my clothes + a blanket and I found the temperatures unbearable). The view is wonderful, but the place is extremely windy.

On the last day our flight with Air Kenya was delayed and nobody from Basecamp was taking seriously the fact that we were going to miss an international connection flight (even though at the time of the booking Basecamp "guaranteed" our international connection). Only when we got angry at our guides they accepted to let us talk to their salesperson in Nairobi. In the end we did not miss the connection flight, but we arrived at the airport 1 minute before the end of the check in time (I am not exaggerating...). This was absolutely much more stressful than necessary and I think our guides should have been much more proactive in trying to get some information and finding solutions instead of lying to us saying that hakuna matata the plane was coming in 5 minutes... hopefully! I must say that the driver that did the transfer between Wilsons and the international airport was very professional and it is probably thanks to him that we did not miss the flight.

At some point we got the impression that during our stay at Eagleview we had to insist for everything and we found it a bit tiring.

I certainly understand that there are considerable cultural differences between guests and the local community working at Eagleview and that it can be difficult (almost impossible) for the local workers to understand what are the needs and expectations of a guest paying almost USD 500 per person per night. However, this should not be an excuse for the company to provide a service well below the standards you would expect for this price. In other lodges we stayed in the owner was present on site and was training the staff on a regular basis. I don't think this was the case at Eagleview/Basecamp.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AaaabL
Eric G, Manager at Eagle View, Mara Naboisho, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2014

Dear Traveler

Eagle View (1 Night) 05/09/2014
We are glad that you experienced the wonder that is the Maasai Mara and recognized your guide’s efforts in spotting various wildlife and hope you took away good memories of this.
It’s also great to note that you thought the Eagle View facilities were excellent and we are currently training our staff on expected levels of service expected for the product we have. This is an ongoing process and we eventually see our levels being at the required and demanded standards through continually pursuing this process this includes but is not limited to guest etiquette as part of the service culture.
As for the laundry experience we are currently carrying out this service all by hand and being an eco-camp powered by solar energy we cannot at the moment have a machine operated laundry but with the rapidly improving technology in this field we do hope that in the near future to install a laundry machine so we could cater for all guests expectations. We apologize for that
During our night game drives we have a Maasai spotter who needs to hold up the infrared torch to try and locate game that is active at night. This spotter can only ride at the front of the vehicle with the driver guide. We apologize if he made you feel uncomfortable and kept on falling on you and you did not get to see as much wildlife as you wanted.
As for the walking safari, the standard is that we have three security guards and a guide for every group out for the walk. Two at the front and one at the back. The guards are not meant to be close to the guests as their purpose is to detect and make everyone avoid any potential threats from wildlife. In this scenario the engagement should be between the guest and their guide. This arrangement has worked and been the norm for many years. We do however apologize that you felt unsafe but assure you that you were in very caring and good hands. The weather too has greatly improved now and we have lots of savannah sunshine with guests relaxing on the sun loungers.
Finally, we are glad that you made your flight back home despite the anxiety the delayed flight at the bush airstrip caused. We have since addressed this issue with the aviation company and this was caused by unavoidable operational issues on their part.

Operations Manager - Basecamp Explorer Kenya