“Amazing Antiquities”

and up
Private Guided Tour to Valley of the Kings
Ranked #7 of 83 things to do in Luxor
More attraction details
Owner description: This desert valley contains the ancient burial ground of many Egyptian pharaohs. Among over 60 royal tombs is the famous Tomb of Tutankhamen that was found in pristine condition.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

A barren valley, hiding such gems. A highlight of our time in Egypt. Tour guides are a wealth of information, but they are not allowed in the tombs themselves. There are maps and notes at the entrance of the tombs explaining who's tomb it is etc. We went with Trafalgar which included our guide and a Security Officer, and we had much less hassle than individual tourists.
General Tickets allow a visit to 3 tombs which rotate for preservation of the sites. Tutankhamun and Rameses V and VI tombs are an extra fee.
The souvenir area and restrooms are near the main visitors center. You have to walk the gauntlet of hawkers at every Egyption tourist site. It can become tedious as they are an insistant bunch.
There is a small electric train to take you up from the entrance to the site. It's very quick.
Photography is prohibited unless your purchase an expensive permit at the entrance. Absolutely no flash photography. Even after thousands of years, the colours inside the tombs are incredible and they want to preserve it, hence no flash photography. Numerous books and photo sets can be purchased.
There are stairs or ramps down into the tombs. Some passages are long and rather steep. Be prepared if you have mobility issues. Crowding can be a problem with large tour groups going in all at once.
Being a desert the temperature can soar and there is limited shade outside, though the temperature in the tombs is pleasant. Make sure you take water with you.
King Tut’s tomb is very small, it was done in a rush,and there is no treasure in it, it's all at the now new Cairo Museum. He was so young, died at 18 yrs and quite a small lad. Though his reign was short, he has truly fired peoples imaginations.
The atmosphere in The Valley is just wonderful to absorb.

2  Thank Jane J
Write a ReviewReviews (4 913)
All reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 38 reviews

63 - 67 of 4 913 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Had the opportunity to visit the Valley of the Kings in Luxor and so amazing te see what the ancient egyptians did. Can't beleive the tombs are still so stunning after 1000's of years and the colours of the drawings in the walls so vibrant. Can recommend this to anyone.

1  Thank petri12348
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

O boy did we enjoy the Valley of the Kings, this was our highlight of Egypt. We visited three tombs and paid a little extra to visit KV62 King Tut, although his tomb was less impressive by means of size and stature it still is worth the extra ticket price. I would not mind going to the valley of the kings again.

1  Thank DeonN55
Reviewed 25 June 2018

you only get entrance to 3 tombs, which i think is enouhg, its a shame the tour guides are not allowed in with you, because you still don't get to see what the tour guides explained outside, or maybe even forget. Advise you to do some reading here yourself, so that you can appreciate it fully.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I visited this site with my wife and a tour group. The day was glorious and the temperature in the high 30's. We were the only people at the time so we were very lucky.

The site is well beyond the entry gates, up a gentle bitumen road. Perhaps nearly a kilometre. Thankfully we were taken in a small road train. If you want to take a camera it is an extra fee and you are not allowed to use it in the tombs. Phones are OK.

There are many tombs that allow visitors and most are included in the entry fee. Some, including Tutankhamun, require an additional payment. We were initially interested in visiting Tutankhamun but were told it is completely empty and we would see much more in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. We took the advice.

The site of the tombs is bare. No trees at all. There is cover provided by artificial roofs where there is also a brief description of some tombs. The first we entered was Rameses IX. It was surprisingly beautiful. Artwork in remarkable condition despite thousands of years of exposure.

I started to take some shots with my iPhone and was quickly collared by the attendant. I was a lttle surprised as he gave me a conspiratorial look and indicated places for me to take more photos. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and kept my phone in my pocket. As we were leaving it became clear that he wanted some baksheesh. I gave him 5LE. He was clearly disappointed. I told him that was all I had and that my wife controlled the finances. He seemed satisfied and left me alone.

Next we visited Merenptah. This requried a climb in the heat. It was also lovely but had part of his sarcophagus in the burial chamber. I was overwhelmed. I was then invited by an attendant to pass through the barrier and follow him as we climbed to the sarcophagus. It was fantastic. I did not risk taking a picture. When I was taken back to the normal tourist area my wife gave him 5USD. He seemed happy with that.

Return to the surface was challenging, climbing a relatively steep wooden walk with occasional cross bars to aid grip.

When we all finished and regrouped we were taken by train back to the entry port.

This is a great attraction and not to be missed.

1  Thank David B