All reviews fifth floor downtown cairo egyptian museum arabic speaker hotel is located talaat harb street car horns the hotel manager tahrir square furnishings traffic
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed here 2 nights. Pros: The location is fantastic for sightseeing in Downtown, Islamic Cairo and Coptic Cairo. Hotel is clean, beautifully decorated and well soundproofed. Staff are very friendly. Free internet. Breakfast was fine 50% of the time (see Cons).

Cons: Breakfast is supposedly served until 11am. When we arrived at 9am on our second morning there was virtually no food left and no effort was made to replenish the buffet. We had to ask for bread. This is unacceptable in a hotel at this price level, and just came across as unprofessional and mean.

If location is important to you but you still want a degree of comfort, the Talisman is just about worth the price. For the same price you could stay in a more luxurious hotel where they don't run out of breakfast two hours before the end of breakfast time, but you'll probably need to get taxis everywhere and spend precious time stuck in hellish traffic. Your call ...

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank iodowd
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The talisman was a nice find if you are searching for a cozy hotel in the heart of Cairo. The staff was very helpful and friendly. A short walk to the Nile, but be careful not to get run over crossing the street...

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
9  Thank juscyn
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

I booked my two night's stay at The Talisman through I-escape and everything I read on beforehand turned out to be true; an unwelcoming facade and entrance area, an elevator fitting perfectly into a Agatha Christie novel before entering and old fashionable fifth floor where Talisman rules.

It's furnished with antiques, beautiful tapestries and colourful fabrics and my room was spotless as was a well equipped bathroom. Bed linen and towels are fresh and delicate. Every room has a safe and there's free wifi all over the hotel.

Breakfast is simple and tasty. Staff is super friendly and do all they can to make your Cairo stay a memorable one.

On a final note I must underline
Talisman's brilliant location. Nasser metro station is only a 5 min walk away as is Tahrir square. The Cairo traffic tends to be a nightmare so take the metro whenever you can.

If you have read as far as this, you have probably worked out that I highly recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: July 2012
7  Thank AuroraPolaris
Reviewed 15 December 2011

When I go to Cairo I usually stay in one of the five star chain hotels in zamalek. I grew tired of some of their overpriced bad service and wanted to try something original. I was always afraid of trying small hotels in Cairo but this time I gave it a try, following the recommendation of a friend that I trust. I loved it. Great location, right off tahreer square, in the middle of the city. The rooms feel like chambers in an old castle, with grandeur but not preetentious, and as clean as it gets in Cairo, with large comfortable beds with beautiful covers. The bathroom is also in the same style. The hotel has a lot of small salon spaces, and they offer a simple, yet tasty breakfast, with cute little cumin croissants. I loved my stay here, and the staff were extremely helpful.

Date of stay: January 2011
4  Thank MazenKh
Reviewed 3 December 2011

If you’ve read my reviews, you’ll know that I choose lodging based on the kind of experience I hope to have. The Talisman was my 4th and final stop on a solo, 2-week tour of Egypt.

Located in the heart of Cairo, the location couldn’t have been better. From the hotel, I walked to the Egyptian Museum, Khan el-Khalili and the subway station.

It is very much a “boutique” hotel that could have easily been around in the 20s or 30s. My room had a big wooden door with an old fashioned key that opened a squeaky noisy door. It reminded me of a 20th century B&B except for the beautiful bathroom which was very much my own. The furnishings were equally as nice in the shared spaces with a definite French influence right up to the mademoiselle who showed me to my room.

The room itself was a bit of a disappointment. The one window opened slightly (for air) into an open-air shaft. The room was dark and really smelled of cigarettes, although all of the places I stayed smelled of cigarette smoke. I think the only other room option would have been facing a noisy street.

A tasty but simple breakfast was included every morning and served in a room that reminded me of a French parlor, only it had Egyptian accents.

The best part of this hotel was the elevator. It is circa 1920-1930 and made me smile every time I rode it.

This is truly a funky boutique hotel and while it was quirky, I loved it. It had that certain...je ne sais quoi.

Oh yeah...it's really hard to find, especially at night, and it has a dark foreboding entrance off the main street down an alley. But don't let that disuade you!

Room tip: If you want light and don't mind noise, ask for a room overlooking the street. Otherwise, stick to an interior room.
Date of stay: January 2011