“Picturesque in the old town”
Review of La Bruja

La Bruja
Ranked #252 of 3 132 Restaurants in Bogota
Cuisines: Colombian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

In old town Bogota, Candelaria, in one of the steep hills you find this pituresque restarant called La Bruja (the witch). You can easily walk here from the main square.

Not so big, but nice service and good food! They also have menys in english. Here you find nice meat and why not try the empanadas (but be aware that the salsa for the empanadas is spicy!).

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

I ordered a Cucumber Gin which clearly stated Hendricks Gin in the menu. As I observed the bartender prepare the cocktail, he poured Bols instead of Hendricks in it. When the waiter brought it up to our table, I pointed out the obvious. The bartender came out from behind then to explain some bs about the mix and I rejected the drink. He came back a few minutes later and said that he could prepare it with Hendricks. I asked for the check instead. Misleading. Disappointing. Do they think consumers don’t know the difference?

Reviewed 22 April 2018

Headline says it all, and it looks like other people here agree. Super expensive and ok tasting food at a place where the waiters seem to studiously avoid customers once they've ordered. How's everything? Would you like another drink? Can we get you anything else? None of that. I just had to finally beg someone for the check and then pay the incredibly inflated tab. I left the suggested 10% tip but wish I had the guts not to.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

The meal was unfortunate, to say the least. The restaurant might have been decorated by the author of a YA vampire novel, but it's quirky enough to have attracted us in for dinner. The server sat us at our table, but quickly forgot our drink orders. Dinner, when it finally came (my mother tried to convince us to leave because she thought we'd been forgotten), was either bad or almost completely cheese. The area has some great restaurants, but I felt like an idiot after wasting a meal here.

1  Thank Joshua D
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

I'm very sad to have to write a bad review not least because I hate to have wasted a meal, especially given the delicious food I have eaten so far in La Candelaria, but also because I can barely remember having a bad experience, especially one this bad.
Let me say that the wait staff did not appear to be unpleasant or malicious in any way. I think my waiter was completely distracted although I don't know what with as there were only two other guests at the time.
So I'll just relate what happened and try to leave my opinion out, and you can try to use the information in some useful way.
On arriving and being seated by a young man who told me he spoke English, Spanish and French, I realized I had left my glasses in the hotel. I apologized and went back to get them. Only two blocks away but when I returned they didn't seem to recognize me and had reset the table as if assuming I had just walked out. However I was seated and then left.. not sure why... to stare at the wall and think a glass of water would be nice. After a while a menu arrived but no water. I read the menu (I was given plenty of time to do so) and then got up to try to find someone to place an order and ask for water. All done. Water arrived, a tiny warm bottle and a chilled glass, weird but fine, water is water. The tomato soup with pork meatballs arrived in reasonable time. As the waiter hurried away I managed to stop him and persuade him to get me a serviette. Then he disappeared and nobody returned to ask about the food. In fact the soup was cold and the meatballs like stones but it was actually tasty and I was hungry and didn't want to make trouble so I ate it. No chance of a twist of black pepper, obviously.
Then I sat and waited for about 35 minutes until the costillos de cerdo arrived. They did look good, but were very overdone to the extent that there was a thick crust underneath and the meat was dry and chewy. The potato was some sort of choux affair, completely dried out. In all the main course was effectively inedible. It was, quite frankly, the first disgusting meal I have had in a restaurant that I can remember, although I'm sure it must have happened before.
I asked for the check, paid it and left. Eventually someone seems to have noticed that asking for the check without actually eating the meal is unusual and the hostess was alerted, and she was very nice, apologized and promised to feed back to the "chef", or whatever they call the person in the kitchen producing this horrible food.
My check was 48,000cop. I can write this off to experience in lieu of the excellent food I've had everywhere else in the last few days. Now I'm going to try to erase the experience from my otherwise wonderful memories of Bogotá!

1  Thank julia w

Been to La Bruja? Share your experiences!