“Visited as a child before the renovation.”

Al Khaima Resturant
Ranked #169 of 970 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Lebanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I remember Al-Khaima. I visited the restaurant 26 years ago when I was 13 years old and my family were expats in Doha. I missed Newcastle upon Tyne - and my family there - it was not a particularly happy time for me. There were a few ‘expatriate clubs’ and no alcohol at all anywhere. But Al-Khaima was one of the highlights. The food is outstanding. I don’t think I have tried Middle Eastern dishes which have bettered it anywhere in the world. Apart from my own family’s cooking there isn’t anything to rival it.

Also being openly gay means it is very difficult to even visit the Middle East. I know there are many gay tourists who do visit Dubai but I think it is not a good idea when local people do not enjoy the same freedoms. So it is nice to have memories from my youth about the way people were meant to socialise (in the best sense) from antiquity.

When Hourani wrote his ‘History of the Arab Peoples’ he mentioned the ability of a people to pervade time itself and the hospitality and friendliness which I witnessed was the Middle East at its very best.

My father’s ancestry is Iraqi by descent so I think the best experiences which I take from the Middle East are found at places like Al-Khaima. The significance of ‘The Tent’ - its translation - will be known to everyone from Kurdistan to the Emirates and Oman and Yemen. It documents in modernity a time when social constraints did not exist and peace really was a moveable feast of achievement rather than something to be derided.

If you are in Qatar - certainly for business - then use the opportunity to visit this fantastic establishment.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Very clean bright restaurant and pleasant friendly staff. The metre long flatbread so flavoursome and delicious. Seems popular as always people in when walking past. Fried prawns were excellent. No complaints here.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Came here for lunch with my wife. The place is clean and the staff gave us a heartfelt welcome, just genuinely nice, not one of those standard fake smiles many restaurants offer. Service was quick and friendly, we had the signature lambchops, metr long flatbread and mouttabbal paste on the side. Tasted great! Complimentary tea or coffee is included at the end of the meal. Paid one hundred ryals and we couldnt finish all the chops we got. Bathroom is also clean. Will return for sure!

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

Went here with a big group of families and friends for dinner. We had a very nice, delicious dinner for everyone. Lamb chops are the signature dish with the bread and salad. Staff are professional, friendly, helpful and polite. The restaurant is clean and nice design. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I have been here with my colleagues and I have to say the place is amazing. It’s a bit far from west bay but it worth it.
The service is really polite and the food is amazing.
You can spend around QAR 100-130 each eating a lot of really nice food