All reviewswestern wallprivate roommuslimdomeaqsainternet
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This place gave us a smaller room with too few beds and no bathroom, which was not what we paid for, they did not give a key and had to search the whole hostel for them only to wait 5 minutes as they tried every key they had to find one, free breakfast while not technically false is a bit of an overstatement, bathroom is appalling with the shower being placed on top of it and the staff were unhelpful.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Declan H
Reviewed 11 February 2018

The approach and location and are fantastic and ancient interoir has been converted into a hostel in a sympathetic way,but! Sound insulation between rooms and the corridor is poor and many of the rooms have small unopening windows or no windows art all. Bathrooms are simple but there was plenty of hot water, but! The toilet seat and shower curtain were broken. It is expensive for a hostel but cheap for Jerusalem All this would have been acceptable but the kitchen and breakfast tables were dirty and badly equipped which was unnessary and unacceptable. Guy who runs the place was very friendly but old lady who cleaned could do a lot better!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

This August I traveled with two of my friends to Jerusalem. We were all current students traveling on a budget. We have traveled to South America, India, and Asia before, so we definitely have had an extensive share of hostel experiences. The only positive thing I can say about our time spent at Chain Gate Hostel was that it was in a good location in the Old Town.

Upon arrival, the first impression that we had was that the place smelled very moldy and was damp. We thought that it was odd that when we arrived, all of the bed mattresses were outside being aired-out. Little did we know, two days later my friend woke up with several bug bites all over her back, arms, neck and face. We stayed in the room with 12 beds, and the restroom was absolutely foul. There was no window inside and no doors to the restroom, so every time someone used it, the room smelled. Additionally, the shower was right next to the restroom stall and did not have a drain inside, so the shower water would drain into the restroom stall floor. The bed sheets all appeared old and frayed. The shower door had mold that had not been cleaned, even though we initially addressed it. The restroom seat was broken and did not stay on properly. The bathroom simply looked as if it had not been thoroughly cleaned in several weeks. There were visible bugs in the room, and dead bugs underneath the beds in piles of dust.

My friends and I initially paid to stay here for 5 nights. After 3 nights at Chain Gate Hostel, we no longer felt comfortable as there were many unsanitary sightings. We kindly asked the manager for our money back for the 2 nights that we were no longer wanting to stay, and he refused to give it back to us. In the end after a long frustration with him shouting at us, the manager only gave my friend with the bites her money for the remaining 2 nights. By all means, he did not handle the situation in a professional manner, though we approached him with honesty. Jerusalem has so much to offer, and unfortunately our stay here at this hostel really affected our time and mood during the short stay we we spent in the city.

With this being said, my friends and I would definitely not recommend staying here. Please take this review into consideration before booking.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank reginekrammer
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Chain gate is the closest hostel to aqsa mosque you will find . Only ten meters away from the main door. Especially in Ramadan when there is a lot of crowd and difficult to get to your hotel this hostel is ideal.
The owner hani is very friendly he makes you feel at home . I would really recommend this place

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank abuhiks
Reviewed 4 April 2017

The place was clean for the most part. For A hostel, it was a good condition. I went with my family and stayed in a private room. It was my first time to Jerusalem. The location of the hotel was the closest accommodation to the Mosque, which is brilliant if you are a muslim. The walls are paper thin so you could hear everyone speaking in the hallways and/or outside of the room. The staff was very nice and the breakfast spread was pretty generous. If I ever go back to Jersualem, I would definitely stay there again. Because the walls are made of stone, the internet was only accessible in the hallway, but wasn't too much of an issue.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family