See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 July 2016

The Narantuul is a perfectly adequate hotel in a very convenient location. The rooms are spacious and comfortably appointed, although somewhat dated. I stayed in 3 different rooms (more about that later...), and had minor issues with the showers in 2 of them, but otherwise everything was clean and functional. The desk clerks were smiling and pleasant, but beyond asking for a room key, communication was a challenge since I speak no Mongolian and their English was somewhat limited. The breakfast buffet features a variety of hot and cold foods, and is OK as long as you get there before the food runs out.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with our reservations the second time we stayed at the Narantuul. My daughter and I had booked (and already checked into) separate rooms, but apparently there was some sort of mix-up and the hotel staff needed an extra room. With no prior notice, and without our consent or knowledge, someone decided to move our belongings from our individual rooms into a double room while we we out sightseeing. Whoever did this took great care to place our clothing and personal items exactly where we had left them in our original rooms--to the extent that they must have used photographs to recreate everything so meticulously. On one hand, I appreciate this attention to detail. On the other hand, whoever did this obviously handled and moved all our things without our permission; our privacy was uncomfortably violated, especially since we had left wallets, phones, and many other personal items in our rooms. I cannot say with certainty that anything was missing, although my daughter's wallet was open. Someone also carelessly left keys to 2 other rooms (not our original rooms) in the room.

Being unable to communicate adequately with the hotel staff, we reported the incident to the local tour company who had handled our reservations. They promptly contacted the hotel manager, who expressed shock and concern about what had happened. He assured us that this was not a typical or acceptable practice, and that whoever was responsible for authorizing our things to be moved would be held accountable. I can only hope he will follow through, and that this was an isolated incident. We transferred to another hotel for the duration of our stay in Ulaanbaatar.

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 12 October 2015

I enjoy staying here not because it is the most flashy or modern but because for the price of regular hotel I can get an apartment with a bedroom, reasonably sized living area, separate office space and kitchenette.

When I am in UB for more than 3 days, I enjoy having the space to move about.

Decor is old, a bit worn but still functional. Service is minimal but ok. Avoid having clothes washed here, I had bleach stains on some items.

Please note there is no air-conditioning, I therefore have to avoid the hotel in the warmer summer months. Great for 3 seasons (spring, autumn, winter).

But if you want short term space and centrally located (near Ramada), I can recommend this.

Room Tip: High floor facing east. You will get the sun rise here and have
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2015

Stayed here back in 2011 - the rooms are large, clean and staff friendly.
Plenty of restaurants and bars close to the hotel and about a 10 minute walk down Peace Ave to Chinggis Khaan Square area. Depending on which floor you are on, you get a pretty good view of Ulaanbaatar.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank futon333
Reviewed 29 January 2015

The rooms are spacious and clean. Not all of the staff members speak English which made communication difficult at times. The breakfast comes in large portions and is very filling. It close enough to the Nomin superstore, the circus and other attractions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2015

Very large rooms, separate bedroom, living room and sometimes a small work room. Decent location, not far from the department store and restaurants. The breakfast is standard a la carte, not a buffet. No gym, but there is a gym quite close by. Nice and friendly personnel. There is an ok restaurant on the top floor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo