“Get ready for a real experience”
Review of Stepperiders

Stepperiders
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Stepperiders is a family run business, set against the backdrop of the serene beauty of Mongolia's Bogd Khan National Park. The family owns around 200 Mongolian horses, the country's national treasure. Tours range in length from day trips to 7 or even 14 days on the Steppe. The horses themselves are hardy and sure-footed, but full of character. See Mongolia the way it should be seen - on horseback.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 29 July 2017

This wouldn't be for everyone but we had a blast. To set the scene, we were two totally inexperience horse riders and took part in the Nadaam trek over several days. The first proper day involved about 8 hours of intense riding. My whole body totally ached when i went to bed that night from sheer exhaustion (and I'm fairly athletic!).

The staff were fun, the food was great and plentiful and the riding put us through our paces but that was what we wanted.

It is worth mentioning that there were some hiccups along the way -- one night during a storm part of the roof of our yurt started to blow away and we needed to help fix it (!) and timings did not always run strictly to schedule. If you want a slickly run, luxurious horse-riding trek then this company are not for you, but if you have a sense of adventure and are interested in a little bit of the unexpected (in a good way) with friendly people then I would certainly recommend Stepperiders.

1  Thank nigellakamp
in 5 reviews
"horseman"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 5 July 2017

SR strength is people. What a great community. The horsemen and guides are knowledgeable and friendly and the volunteers provide a fantastic cultural bridge. I felt challenged and supported most of the time. The five day trek to Hustai was great and the guide and support driver/cook understood the goals of my trip. I was especially impressed with their problem solving skills as weather and situations demanded responses. So glad that I added a few days just to be at the camp. My advice to anyone traveling to Stepperiders is to be flexible - "Mongolian Standard Time" is real. For everything that doesn't quite happen, something unexpected and wonderful will take its place. If there is something important that you need - just communicate.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I had a 5-day horse trek to Hustai which was really nice. 3 tourguides (Dodo, Ocean and Bagi) were so friendly and ensured our safety along the way as well as giving us some excitement by teaching us how to do galloping. The campfood prepared was really nice too. To sum up, the 5-day tour was very exciting and eye-opening experience.

HOWEVER, the company itself had horrible administration. The first day when they picked me up, they were late for 1 hour and asked me to wait outdoor for an hour with no apology. After my arrival, there was no training session until the second day 11am (where they claimed that we would have training a night before the trek, and that's the reason why I went to the campsite one day before and missed my farewell dinner with my friends) And one more problem, when asked to arrange transport to back to Ulaanbataar after the trek, I told the owner in the morning that I needed to go at 14:30 but he then left to Ulaanbaatar himself without notifying me and showed up at 18:30 to arrange my transport (as I needed to get some reduction of price from him so I had to wait for him), which is RIDICULOUS. I hope they can improve the pick up service and give more credits to the friendly tourguides, which literally saved their company's image.

StepperidersHorses, Manager at Stepperiders, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Dear John,

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy you liked the trek in Hustai National Park and our guides!

We are sorry for the inconvenience about the pick up in Ulaanbaatar. Our driver had to pick up the three other participants of your trek first and they got stuck in traffic, which is why they were late.

If you arrive at camp after 5pm there is no horse riding organised, this is only possible if you arrive earlier. This was clearly indicated by email and we are sorry if it was not clear enough.

About your last days, you have cancelled your extension in Bogd Khan Uul National Park as you preferred to stay at the camp. Usually we can't refund as all is already organised and as it was unplanned we didn't have cash at the camp. There were a couple of transport during the day but apparently you were waiting for Mendee, we are again sorry you thought you had to wait.

We are very sorry for the misunderstandings and the waiting!

Stepperiders

Reviewed 16 June 2017

I volounteered for Stepperiders for one month in May and I fell in love with the steppe, the people, the horses, everything. By the end of the month I felt more like a family member than a guest. The treks I went on were absolutely beautiful and really well planned. Everyone is so friendly, anything you need they will make it happen, and the horses are incredibly well behaved considering they're half-wild. If you're not a super experienced rider, no worries, the horseman and guides will make sure you feel comfortable and understand what to do. You won't find a better horse trekking company than Stepperiders in Mongolia - seriously, stop looking! You found it!