“Old Dhaka with an expert guide”
Review of Royal Bengal Tours

Royal Bengal Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Adventure tours and tailor-made holidays with independent and eco-aware travel company Royal Bengal Tours, specialists in small group tours to some of the most interesting places in Bangladesh. We offer discerning and authentic travel experiences to destinations within Bangladesh where we have expert personal knowledge. Our services include Day Trips, package trips,Motorbike Trips, filming & media support, river cruise, village home stay, Tribal Cultural Tours, Wild life and bird watching trips, Cycling Tours in srimongal, Trekking in Chittagong Hill-tract, Archeological site & Heritage tours,back Water Cruise, Sundarban Trips, Paddle Steamer Trip, Chittagong Ship Breaking Yard,exploring rural life in Bangladesh,Otter Fishing Trip, Photography Tours in Bangladesh.
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I have contacted Royal Bengal Tours for an organized half day photography tour of old Dhaka. I had the chance to be the only candidate for this day a bit out of season, and I benefited from the whole availability of Jewel, whose name is not by chance. This guy loves his city, knows everything about it, speaks excellent English and has the rare talent to understand the type of person he has in front. He discussed in advance all his proposals for the itinerary and he shaped for me the perfect tour for stunning images of the colorful reality of this devastating city. Strongly recommended!

1  Thank Kristian B
RoyalBengalTours, Owner at Royal Bengal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Dear Professor Kristian,

It was a pleasure to be your guide. You were the the first Bulgarian guest ever among us.
Thanks for your patients and kind words.

Hope to see you someday again.

Kindest regards

"skills"
"ships"
"school"

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We arranged through the web only a few weeks before. Very responsive and accommodating. Mohammad was a great guide and truly interested in getting to know us as well as sharing the culture and religions of Bangladesh. Although only here for a short stopover, would recommend to anyone and should we come back, we'll be reaching out to them again!

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Jewel organized a two week tour of Bangladesh which included Dhaka, the Sundarbans, Bandarban and Cox's Bazaar for my family of 12. We visited local villages, mosques, churches, markets and restaurants and spent five days on a boat in the Sundarbans. Jewel is a fantastic guide, he literally knew the answer to every question asked, whether it was about birds, history, food, or random things. He fit right in with our family and we all enjoyed spending time talking to him and learning about his life and family. He organized planes, boats and automobiles for us and was a never ending logistical master! I would highly recommend Royal Bengal Tours.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

I'm one of those people who really hate guided tours. However, Royal Bengal Tours offers the type of laid-back, relaxed experience that makes it very much worthwhile. Jewel is, as his name suggests, a jewel. He has a lot of interesting itineraries to fit your preferences and is very flexible as far as accommodating your requests. He is more like a friend who is showing you his city, rather than a "tour guide" who drones on and on. Highly recommended.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Where to begin? Let’s start with the initial contact. Jewel, guide and owner of the company, replied to my request for general information immediately. My subsequent emails asking for more information on the tours were answered just as quickly and in detail.

Jewel also asked me for more information as to what I was looking for during my visit. I have contact with Bangladeshi workers in Singapore and have become interested in learning more about Bangladeshi culture in general and the environment that the workers come from in particular in hopes of getting a glimpse of what their lives are like in their home country - the impetus for my visit.

When I mentioned this to Jewel, he said that he would make sure that I would meet local workers as well as get plenty of opportunities to interact with local people in general.

It became clear very quickly that this is not just a company that follows a set itinerary no matter what but rather aims to fulfill their customers’ wishes.

Before I arrived, I had the name of my guide, Abu Sayed, along with some of his personal information, his professional background and his contact details. I had a suggested itinerary for my 3 days in Dhaka. I had the pick-up time. 8 am in the hotel lobby.

Abu Sayed arrived and I felt immediately at ease with him. He turned out to be a truly exceptional guide. He is proud of his country and happy to share his knowledge about its history, culture, food, and people. We spent about 10 hours a day together. There was never a moment when we did not talk. I had many questions. He had many answers. No subject was ever taboo.

Before we started out on our day, he would discuss the itinerary with me. He always had one. We rarely stuck to it. I kept taking photos, asking him to translate questions I had for people on the street, we ended up being invited to peoples’ homes, we went to a school when one of the sites on the itinerary was closed, we went to a ship yard so that I could talk to the workers there, we visited a village where textiles are produced and were invited to the owner’s home, we stopped off at his aunt’s house - I could go on and on.

None of that would have been possible without Aby Sayed. His friendly personality opened all kinds of doors – figuratively and literally. Early on, he figured out what I was interested in and just let me meander. I asked him to take me to places he thought I would like. He was never wrong. We may not have stuck to the “official” itinerary, but it was a perfect 3 days for me.

Jewel invited me and Abu Sayed to dinner one of the evenings. He is just as passionate about his job and his country as Abu Sayed. Jewel is also involved in charity work. He helps kids with their education. We mentioned that we met a lovely intelligent deaf and dumb girl in the school we visited. We were wondering if perhaps Jewel could help in getting her some special instruction. He was more than eager to follow up. He promised to let me know.

My very intense 3 days ended at Abu Sayed’s house with a tasty dinner, which his lovely wife and sister-in-law provided. The tour officially ended at 5 pm (not that we ever finished by then!), but my plane didn’t leave till 10 pm, so Abu Sayed had invited me to spend the last hours with his family - after which he and the driver took me to the airport.

Apropos our driver – the traffic in Dhaka is beyond description. Our driver did a fantastic job! I felt safe no matter how bad it got.

Bangladesh is a poor country. The streets in Dhaka are jam-packed with humanity and there are rickshaws everywhere. The traffic is horrendous and pollution is bad. But that is not how I will remember my visit. What I will remember is life in Dhaka at its most intense and colorful.

Wherever we went, I was greeted with big smiles. Total strangers invited me into their homes and offered me food. The food – so good!!!! Because of Abu Sayed’s company and guidance, I encountered the most hospitable and welcoming people and had the privilege to peek into their lives.

I am not sure what I had expected when I decided to come to Bangladesh. What I do know is that Jewel and Abu Syed created the perfect experience for me. Thanks guys!

Uschi