“Stay away unless you can wait 3 hours”
Review of Soei Restaurant

Soei Restaurant
Ranked #807 of 12 758 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Ari
Neighbourhood: Ari
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

The most horrible service ever. We waited 3 hours and only got 3 dishes (that came .5hour apart). Our little kids were starving and could only eat plain rice and some snack at the counter. After 3 hours, we asked to cancel the rest of the order. The answer was no and that we'd be billed in full. The owner was screaming saying she's got two hands, so why were there 50 tables when you could only cook in rounds of 10 tables at a time. Nasty! We ended up paying for the menu we didnt even get. Food was not as good as years before. Stay away!

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Be patient and don’t visit when hungry. Is it worth the wait, it all depends on your taste preference for Thai food. The flavours are what Thai say “rod jud” or if I could translate as intense not tasty or flavourful. Oh and most dishes are very spicy - all of this caters for drinkers where this kind of intensely flavoured food and the rather slow speed of service complements each other.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

This is the second time I’ve eaten at Soei, once at the old location this time at the new location in a neighbourhood. Took a taxi from Victory Monument BTS showing the driver google maps on phone. P’Soei puts his own twist on his dishes which is usually spicy. My favourite is the Fried Egg Salad and the Crab Curry, the wife likes the Pad Cha. The Crispy Mackerel Heads don’t really taste of much. Prices are reasonable but not necessarily cheap by Thai standards. If you don’t like spicy or strong flavours this may not be a restaurant for you.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

5th visit here and it never disappoint.

Love the egg salad and mackerel curry.

The flavours are on the heavy side and they have slightly tone down their spice levels compared to my 1st visit.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

I was delighted to read some of the glowing reviews of this place, since I live about 1km away. I was really looking forward to eating here.

Anyway, we went last week, and the food was ok, nothing special, though it took a long time to come. No different than hundreds of others like it, except it was about triple the usual cost (1500 baht for dinner for 2).

We weren't impressed and went back tonight to give it another try. Ordered Thai food staples like khao pad (fried rice), yum woonsen (glass noodle salad) and pad grapao nua (stir fry beef with basil).

It was AWFUL. For a start our first meal arrived (with no rice) 1hr 10 minutes after order. I could understand if this was a heaving Friday night, but we arrived to a 25% full restaurant at 5pm on Sunday evening.

We had to ask about our food several times. Service was rude, and non-apologetic. Nobody came and asked us if we wanted a drink.

My wife (who is Thai) thought the food was over spiced to the point it detracted from the food. Very ordinary Thai food, exactly the same as you can find on literally any corner in Bangkok.

Extremely disappointing experience.