“Crabs Galore”

Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Siam
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The place is quite ordinary. It strikes you as a big restaurant with round tables like ordinary Chinese restaurants in any Chinatown. But the food is quite good. What was really nice was the crab dishes. They come in different varieties. And the price is very reasonable.

If one is in search for a quality seafood place in Bangkok with reasonably priced dishes and without care for the ambiance, then this place may be your destination!

Reviewed 22 May 2018

One of the Tuk Tuk drivers catched us - I never thought this can never happen do me. I just did not check Trip Advisor nor the official website of the real Somboon Seafood restaurants. It seems that they have now 8 restaurants but we asked this Tuk Tuk driver and he drove us to another restaurant - just telling us that this should be a Somboon restaurant. We checked it when the bill came (for farangs = tourists) around US$ 400.- for two. So this report is to warn Trip Advisor readers about this. If you check the real restaurant web site they warn about this tuk tuk cheating right at the start of their web page (see Trip Advisor link).
We asked a tuk tuk driver on the street just close to our hotel (Amari Watergate) and it seems these drivers are paid by the fake restaurants to drive you to the wrong place. We ended up at a place close to the metro/railway station (I think it was near Makkasan station) and we checked it out later - there is no real Somboon Restaurant over there. So please be aware - might be you prefer to take a taxi or ask your hotel reception to avoid such a mistake. I kindly ask TRIP ADVISOR to publish this report as even the restaurant is sending out warnings because they know about this organized misleadings. Thank you and enjoy the excellent food in Thailand.

Warning text from the real restaurant:
Now there have been groups of people who have used names similar to Somboon Seafood as a scam to confuse and mislead both Thai and foreign customers into eating at their restaurants. Such restaurants work closely with some taxi drivers who would drive customers to their place and exceedingly overcharge them. By doing so, these taxi drivers receive a huge sum of commission. Therefore, We would like to inform you that Somboon Seafood does not have any branches located near railroad tracks or at Suan Lum Night Bazaar or in any other city.

3  Thank PETERMOVER
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I ordered shrimp and grilled fish
But they are provided without good cleaning and not well grilled
The fish's intestines were still inside and the shrimp were not opened to clean!
I only served half a grilled without enough cleaning.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

I never miss his Restaurant when I’m in Bangkok. Love the surawong branch which is the very first branch they opened.

I love the crab and raw prawns the most.
Must go here!

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

3 of us were recommended by the Concierge of Mercure Fortune Hotel to come here for Curry Crabs.. Somboon Seafood has at least 3 to 4 floors of diners ! We were attended to by Bee who was surprised we consumed 8000 Baht of seafood. Although he said 2 crabs wud be enough, we insisted on ordering 3 ! The curry crab was lovely....... unusual for us Malaysians as it was not spicy at all. The snakehead was fried to perfection and was cooked in local sauces which was unique and outshines the crab !

The oysters were a disappointment. I was told that the style of cooking is not like in Malaysia. Bee was very attentive and made sure our beer was topped up. He saw that we ate our food with such gusto and recommended some side dishes which I could not remember as we were drunk on the 2 plates of crabs cooked in two different styles.

As we walked off after paying, we noticed that other diners did not eat as much we did. We were definitely the champions !!! Bee got a 400 Baht tip !!!

Been to Somboon Seafood? Share your experiences!