B.U. Place Hotel Bangkok
Tanatawey Places
#494 of 900 hotels in Bangkok
0,6 km
View Hotel
All reviewsbu placephra ramgames roomswimming poolfree wifidecent place to staytuk tuktesco lotushotel is locatedshower headhot watergreat pooltrain stationthree nightsthe ground floorshuttlegym
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 July 2016

The rooms are very big, clean and comfortable. The staff gave us an early check-in
and made us feel very welcome.

The hotel restaurant is very good and cheap. The service is exquisite. One thing we didn't like is the fee of 100 THB per day of wifi. Wifi in the restaurant is free though.

I must say the swimming pool was amazing. One of the biggest we had so far.
Thank you very much for our good stay.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helena J
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

The lift's bell dings all day long. Specially at peak periods every couple minutes for an hour or two!!! I asked to be moved to the end of the hall but it's still loud and it wakes me up if I want to sleep in or go to bed early. On the other hand this hotel is great but don't expect to get any sleep, just annoyed by DING DING DING DING DING DING... when your in your room.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank fitnesspm
Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. Staff very friendly and they adored our little children.
The family apartment was very spacious, clean and a great view. The beds are good but a bit hard.
The inventory is far from complete, but why bother if the street in front of the hotel is packed with food joints.
The shuttle service to the metro station is reliable. To the most tourist hotspots we would recommend a taxi since the total trip will cost you an our and with small kids that's a bit to much of a trip in these temperatures. The guys outside help you to get a reliable one on the meter.
The area is just wonderful, not a lot of tourists and, as far as we can say, the real Bangkok experience. There is enough leisure around, so for us with small children we don't have to make the trip to the tourist center all the time.
The biggest bonus of the hotel is the pool on the fifth floor. Lovely view, clean, spacious.
Of we ever go back to Bangkok we know where we will stay.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Michiel v
Reviewed 4 March 2016 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. I have never seen or witnessed such poor service in my life. There is nothing 4 star with this hotel's service or hospitality.

Sunjun, the associate checking us in, was rude, incompetent and ignorant. It took us over an hour to check in and only after we got a manager involved. We had our passports and were in their system but this ignorant associate, who admitted we were in her system, and who had our passports, insisted that we provide proof that we booked a room. Yes! We were in her system and she even admitted that but said "maybe you just have same name as people that booked." I can't even make this up.
Sunjun even argued with us about our daughter's age. Our daughter is 11 and we had her passport. Subjunctive cannot calculate correctly and told us she was 12 and we would have to pay additional.

After finally getting a manager to check us in and half-heartedly apologize, we asked for a pillow, sheet and blanket for the pull out coach for our daughter. They said we would have to pay for this. Even though we booked the room for 3 people, a 4 star hotel wanted to charge us additional money for a sheet, blanket and pillow.

Paid Wi-fi very slow and only good for 1 device.

Towels at the pool are not provided. The rooms only have 2 towels and if you go swimming and use your towel, they will not exchange it with you. We were told by the manager that towels "are only changed once per day." 4 stars?

The bathroom had mold.

The hotel is 1 hour away from the tourist hot spots which is okay for us, but this is not a good location if you want to be close.

Tuk-tuk to the mall and metro is 60 Baht. Don't try walking it. Streets are too narrow and full of cars, motorcycles and tuk-tuks.

This is not a 4 star hotel.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Tatiana A
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I have written nearly 200 reviews on Trip Advisor and believe in the power of feedback. I don't write these reviews for fun but out of a serious belief that through feedback, businesses can either improve or recognize a job well done, and consumers are better off by reading the opinions of fellow travelers. I hope you find my review helpful.

My wife and I have visited over 40 countries in the past 10 years. We consider ourselves world travelers. If you look at my other reviews, I have mostly positive things to say about hotels and businesses, especially if I've done my homework ahead of time on Trip Advisor.

We are not your typical tourist. We like to be off the beaten path, we don't go to restaurants with English menus and pictures, and we generally have had positive experiences in all our travels.

We did our research on Trip Advisor. We were looking for a budget hotel, off the beaten path with good reviews from Trip Advisor. I read dozens of reviews on this hotel and decided the good outweighed the bad and we would give it a shot. I do have some positive things to say about this hotel, but first I must start with the most egregious of customer service errors and stupidity.

We pre-paid and booked the hotel through Agoda. We were traveling with our 11 year old daughter and I entered all this information on the reservation form and it also shows up in my booking details. We opted for the "Landmark Deluxe" room which was said to be 72 sq meters (huge), 2 rooms with 1 bedroom, 1 living room/kitchen, 2 bathrooms with a pull out sofa bed. "Sleeps 3-4". We requested an early check-in at 11 a.m. and I followed up with a phone call to the hotel to get their approval of an early check-in and they sent me a confirmation e-mail telling me that an early check-in was no problem the day before we arrived.

On the morning of our arrival, exhausted after an overnight flight in which we didn't sleep, I approached the front desk with our passports and said who I was and that we were here to check-in. I put the passports down on the counter.

This is where it all went downhill. The associate, Sunjun, asked me for proof that I booked...she wanted a printout of my booking. I immediately showed her the e-mail I had received just yesterday confirming my early check-in from another associate. The email was from their hotel. The associate, Sunjun, insisted I provide proof that I booked. I asked her if she saw me in her system and to my surprise, she said "yes" but she wanted proof that this was my booking. I had already laid the passports in front of her and said for her to check the passports. This is where she began to argue with me and ask me how she knows if I'm the same person...that maybe I just have the same name (sic). She again insisted that I give her a print out or show her proof that I booked the hotel. I then told her that if I could log into my e-mail on my computer I would show her the booking from Agoda. But she said Wi-Fi was not free (sic) and I would have to pay for the Wi-Fi first (sic). Then she began to just ignore us. My wife tried several times to reason with her to no avail. She ignored us for a long period of time…probably 20 minutes… actually asking at one point: “You think you are only person with this name?”(sic)
Then, out of nowhere, after looking at our passports, she said that since my daughter was 12 years old, they would have to charge us more. My daughter is 11. I asked her to look at the passport again. She did and insisted my daughter was 12. My daughter just turned 11 in October. We argued about this for 5 minutes (sic) until finally I asked for a manager. She tried refusing and even ignoring us for 15-20 more minutes while dealing with other customers as we just stood there. Finally, 60-75 minutes after my arrival to the front desk, a manager finally appeared. His name was Supakrit. His apologies were not very sincere, saying something like "I understand at 5 star hotels you can just walk in, but she wanted to verify who you were..." (sic). I was incredulous. I again put my hands on the passports and told the manager that our passports are good enough to check-in to hotels all around the world, and asked him how he felt about his hotel's level of service and capability. After providing the manager with some valuable feedback about the service industry and hotel standards world-wide, he became more agreeable. He even apologized again, and this time more sincerely. The associate, Sunjun, never apologized even when I told the manager over and over again while she stood there that her behavior was unacceptable and downright rude. The manager, finally grasping the situation, offered me free Wi-Fi for my stay (they charge about $3 a day for Wi-Fi). Nice gesture. Too little, too late. And the associate, Sunjun, never apologized. As someone in the restaurant industry for 25 years, I would have promoted Sunjun to customer. She is in the wrong line of work.

But wait, there's more. We went to the room and found no bedding for the pull-out couch for my daughter. There were only 2 towels in the room, 2 coffee cups, 2 sets of plates, forks, etc. I went to the front desk and requested these items for my daughter since I in fact had booked the room for 3 people. Not to my surprise, the same rude associate, Sunjun, refused. They said the room I booked is normally for 2 people and if I want anything additional, I would have to pay a fee for each item I wanted (sic). I had since been able to get online and even showed them my computer and the confirmation e-mail from Agoda that I indeed booked a room for 3 people. They still refused. This went on for 15 minutes. Finally, another manager appeared and argued with me that this room is normally only for 2 people. After about 15 more minutes, I gave up. The manager said "I'm sorry" to which I responded, "If you were sorry, you would do something about it." In all my travels, I have never had one of my children denied bedding or a cup, fork or plate. Yes, BU Place denied an 11 year-old girl bedding for a room that was booked for 3 people. BU Place would not provide us a third coffee cup, a third plate or a fork, etc. Disgraceful. The manager is not empowered to make the right decision, which in this case was common sense. The owners of this hotel need to understand that negative reviews and this sort of level of service will never allow them to grow their brand or reputation.

Other Cons:
1. They don't provide towels at the pool. You have to use 1 of the 2 from your room. Have a wet towel after you swim? They refuse to exchange it for a dry towel. That’s right. They will not, under any circumstance, exchange a wet towel for a dry towel. The maids were too scared to help me and told me to go to the front desk where I was told towels are only changed once per day.
2. The workout facility, while seeming to have a lot of various equipment, is not air conditioned.
3. The metro is a hike which I would not recommend on the narrow streets full of Tuk-Tuks, motor bikes and cars. It’s better to just take a Tuk-Tuk (3 –wheeled open-air taxi). The Tuk-Tuk costs 50-60 Baht ($1.25-1.50) to get to the metro (not too bad). If they say 100, just walk away. It should never be more than 60. The friendly doorman will help you get a Tuk-Tuk.
4. You are really far away from the main tourist attractions. This was okay for us, but if you are in a hurry, it's a problem. Traffic going toward the center is terrible. It took us almost 90 minutes on a Friday night to get to the center via taxi. Other times can be 30-45 minutes. If you are willing to cram yourself into a metro train, you can cut the time down substantially.
5. Since you are in a non-tourist area, don't expect anyone on the street or in the local shops to speak a word of English.
6. Internet is not free. It’s about $3 a day and only has enough bandwidth for 1 device.

1. Nice size swimming pool. Afternoon it’s in the shade.
2. You are in an area without a tourist in sight. All the street food is authentic, cheap, delicious, and choices are endless. Some of the best food we had in Thailand was street food near our hotel. Sanitary conditions are not to our standards. (eat yogurt daily to keep the good bacteria as a defense),
3. The doormen are all very nice and will help you get a Tuk-Tuk or taxi quickly.
4. The rooms are dated but clean. Our bed was comfortable.
5. Next door is a 7-11 and ATMs for all your needs
6. Water pressure was good in the shower.
7. AC in our room was ice cold. It broke one day and they fixed it within a few hours.
Do not take a taxi downtown during rush hour. We learned this the hard way. Better to take the metro and change to a sky train if needed. Although, during rush hour, the metro and sky trains are packed like sardines, so if you don’t like multiple people pressed up against you, take the snail’s journey in a taxi.

BU Place could be a decent hotel, but Sunjun, a few of other associates and poor hotel policies are holding them back.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family