“Average”

Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican, Nepalese, International
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Begun in 1979, the Rum Doodle is based on the book, The Ascent of Rum Doodle by W.E Bowman. It is a homage to the traveler/ adventurer inside everyone of us.
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Rum Doodle is one of the few oldest restaurants in Kathmandu. Although it's famous specially among trekkers and climbers and has a spacious and nice ambiance, it has average food quality and service.

BigBlackYak, Owner at The Rum Doodle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear GovindG89,
Thank you for your visit and review. Our team will be briefed on their short-comings and we hope that you will visit us again.
Regards
Ashok

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

It was so overwhelming to whiteness so many footprints of the achiever’s who have climbed the Everest. This place has got so much positive energy and vibes.
They got lot of options for food and drinks, fairly priced.

Must visit !!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Enjoyed lunch here on our last day in Nepal. If you are inspired by those who tackle the 8000 meter peaks, then add this to your list of places to eat while in Kathmandu. The history captured in the "footprints" here is worth a visit!

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Sorry I know this restaurant is famous and has had many well known mountaineers as customers but I was disappointed, again.
I last went to this restaurant in 2013 when it was in Thamel. I thought it was lacking then. Rum Doodle was our second choice of final meal of our trip and I was hopeful things had improved since it moved location. Wrong.
We were a party of 10. Considering there were only 6 other people in the restaurant one would think the staff would have welcomed us with open arms. Far from it, they were surly and just didn't want to know. This is not my normal experience of any service industry in Nepal. Of the 6 beers on the menu only two were available.
The food was ok not exceptional. The meal I ordered had the option of rice or naan bread. I went for naan bread to be told by the waiter that they had run out!
I will not be returning to this restaurant again and this review is the most harsh that I have given any establishment. This restaurant should take a leaf out of its fellow country people running the lodges on trekking trails. Nothing is too much trouble in the way they look after their customers.

BigBlackYak, Owner at The Rum Doodle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Sherperboy,
We obviously did not meet your expectations and the team is sorry. A proper and through investigation will take place as to what went wrong and why. We will be doing everything we can to improve our offerings and our service and can only hope that you will come back when you are next in town.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

When we arrived, there were several large trekking groups whom had just completed base camp so my Husband and I listened to their speeches and it was fun.
The service was fantastic. Food pretty good. Spaghetti was really nice, reminded me of Home and the apple pie I had because I saw another review highlighting it as a great dish but I didn’t eat the pastry because it was soft and under cooked.
We finished off the night outside next to the bonfire. Overall enjoyed it.

BigBlackYak, Owner at The Rum Doodle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Dear Lyzee,

The team here is happy that we were able to meet your expectations and we have made sure the baker has heard about his pastry and he has improved it already.

Do come back and visit us again when you are next in town.

Regards