All reviews nice coffee shop quiet side street the hotel manager triple room great shower free airport pickup stayed here for one night annapurna circuit perfect stay air conditioning perfect location fast wifi city tour hot shower nice hotel manager mr clean bathroom
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

This review is for the oasis cafe that's attached to the hotel. I lived in Kathmandu for two months and I can say without a doubt this restaurant has the best Thali Set's in KTM. Everything else on the menu is also incredible. What an underrated location. The staff are also so lovely - especially Retu. One my first night in KTM she gave myself and my mum great advice on what to eat and where to go and she is the reason we kept returning to Oasis. I can't recommend this place enough - being home in Ireland all I can think about is the beautiful food here!! Well done oasis. I will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Ciara C
TulsiBhatta, Manager at Oasis Kathmandu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Dear Ciara C,

It was a pleasure to serve you. Thank you for your time in leaving this wonderful review. Its great to know that you found our resturant's food to your liking. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful.

We are delighted to hear such positive comments from you. We will continue to work hard to present a great hotel so that guests can really feel like staying at an oasis.

We again would like to welcome you in our hotel in near future.

Warm Regards,
Tulsi Bhatta
Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2018

This hotel had seemed like a "really-nice" place... but there was too many-things about it that made our stay so 'unenjoyable'. The last-time I'd been to Kathmandu/KTM had been about '48-years' ago, & the city had changed (I think) for the worse. Because when I'd last stayed there (1970-1), it was a "small-&-quiet" town, & the visibility & air-quality had then been 'crystal clear'. Also, what with the Hindu & Buddhist temples having been in such 'pristine-condition' on my last-trip here, the difference (between 'then' & 'now') was "almost inconceivable".
That said, Kathmandu Valley was struck-by 'back-to-back' earthquakes in 2015 (April 25th & May 1st)... with the damage "utterly-devastating" (& the pace of clean-up so VERY-slow)... as most of the repairs (of their "Stupas", 'temples') are being funded-by "UNESCO".
Needless-to-say, they have a LONG-WAY to go... with their "Spirit, Determination & Willpower" being both "admirable & irrepressible".
But back-to the hotel... which deserves 'very-little' (as kudos go).
The 'hotel-transport' was 'too small', ragged, & the A/C 'turned-off' enroute to the hotel.
The room was OK (with the setup being 'very-poor'), though the 'unlighted Step-Up' (to enter the Bathroom) was "an accident looking for a place to happen". I mentioned this to the Manager several-times, but with no action taken.
Also, the lighting & the ventilation in the Bathroom were 'VERY-POOR' as well.
The 'door-key' did NOT fit... so the door would NOT always "unlock"... which the manager likewise did nothing about for '4-days'.
Wanting an "after-dinner" dessert, we both ordered "ice-cream"... which (we were told was NOT available)... on 'that day' or 'any other'. I asked "WHY" it had not been removed from the Menu... & the server had 'no idea'.
Breakfast was 'minimal', & not prepared with any degree of consistency.
We hired a Guide/"Kamal" (with 'Car & Driver') for 3-days via the Manager... & the Guide was 'consistently-late' every-morning. He also was "entirely too friendly" (as in "familiarity breeds contempt"), especially on the last-day... when we were "trekking", & he "REPEATEDLY-REFUSED" to 'call the driver' & have him pick us up... as my wife had 'fallen-down' once, was 'dead-tired', & 'needed-to-rest'. It took me 'screaming at him'... for more than a half-hour... until he called the Driver... while maintaining what I'd call a "smug-look" on his face all-the-while, & with him acting like there was nothing wrong.
On Check-Out, the 'hotel-transport' was LATE... as the Manager wanted to argue with the 'taxi-driver' for a lower-price (& never prearranged same.
There's more, but those were the major-items... & I've wasted more-than-enough of my time.
That said, the staff (with 'two-exceptions') were kind & worked-hard... especially the girl who was in-charge of the 'Coffee Shop'.

Room Tip: Location is OK... but would recommend staying at the Fairfield Marriott close-by.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ccs747
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel in the heart of city. The check in experience was not smooth... However after that, everything fell in place perfectly.

Front desk manager, Mr. Tulsi and entire staff is thoroughly professional and provide great service experience.

Note: Family suites are on 3rd and 4th floor. And unfortunately, hotel doesn't have elevator.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Shalab C
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Whenever I travel on a tour, I always make sure to arrive a few days early by myself, and book a “nice” hotel with an upgraded room before the tour starts. In some cases, especially Asian countries, I will book an economical hotel with the highest traveler ratings, then splurge on upgrading my room. This is exactly what I did in Kathmandu prior to my Everest Base Camp trek.

I spent a few nights at the Oasis and could not have been happier. My grueling tour to Mount Everest was going to be long, hard, and exhausting, and I wanted to make sure that I would be well rested after a long flight and jet-lag. I was able to book my couple of nights for under $100 US and this included an all you can eat breakfast.

The hotel is booked on a side street right off of a main street which is home to hundreds and hundreds of small shops, restaurants, and drink tour companies. It Is truly either the tourist center or backpacker center of Kathmandu. Most importantly, it is super-convenient as you have easy walking-access to pretty much everything without having to worry about climbing into a taxi to go anywhere.

AIRPORT PICKUP
Oasis offered airport pickup. I requested it at the last minute and as soon as I exited the craziness of the arrival terminal in Kathmandu, was easily able to find a smiling employee of Oasis holding a sign. He greeted me warmly and we went straight to a waiting car which drove me straight to the hotel. They were friendly, and kind. Best of all: no charge!

CHECK-IN
Doesn’t get any better than this. Upon arrival a lady greeted me at the front desk and while gathering my documentation, I was greeted by a very kind man named Tulsi. Tulsi is the manager and he took me to the waiting area with sofas and took the time to talk to me, ask me about my plans in Kathmandu, offer me a drink, and offer to help me with whatever else I needed. He was super-friendly, genuinely caring, and made himself very accessible to me throughout the stay as he had done the trek to Everest Base Camp many times and knew that I would have many questions. This alone made the whole stay amazing since I needed a lot of advice on what I would need in terms of gear and supplies prior to the start of my trek in a few days.

ROOM
I stayed in an upgraded room, #602 which was to have a city lights view, balcony, and more space. I opted for two beds in my room even though I was staying alone . The hotel is actually a set of two separate buildings. Given the construction and general look of Kathmandu (it is still undergoing a lot of repairs after the devastating earthquake in 2015), I was not sure what to expect in terms of what the inside of hotel rooms would look like. I must say I was VERY happy! My bathroom was ultra-modern and very large with a huge stand-up shower and rain-shower head. Water pressure in the bathroom was great.

The TV also had well over 500 channels! For those that know me, I love nothing more than to eat a bag of potato chips while watching an American movie on HBO, AXS or one of the American movie channels while on a trip, waiting to acclimatize to the time change. The beds were comfortable and the room came with a SAFE as well as two new bottles of water per day. This was a huge help. I was very happy with the room.

RESTAURANT / BREAKFAST
Awesome. The staff was super attentive and bent over backwards for me. I woke up extra early due to jet-lag and was the first to eat. They had a good spread of a cross between Indian and American style breakfast. I tried the Masala omelet, the pakoras, sausages and….well I ate everything! Definitely pounded down the fruit for the fiber and was a happy camper. Some people I knew also ate their for lunch and supper because the food was so good. I ate lunch and ordered a Mexican quesadilla which they were able to make really well.

I want to give a special shout-out to the manager, Tulsi. I spent a lot of time picking his brain for information on the Everest Base Camp trek. Believe it or not, he offered to lend me his sleeping back and hiking gear for free. Even though I was checking out of the hotel, he put complete faith in me that I would not rip him off. I actually ended up borrowing his hiking poles and they were really a life saver on the trip as I hadn’t planned to use any but ended up using them daily. As promised, I returned after my trip was over and returned the poles to him.

From my travels around the world, I have to say that the Nepalese people are truly the warmest and kindest I have met. Thanks to Tulsi and his awesome staff, they were responsible for initially putting a great stamp of kindness on my trip which I will never forget.

If you are going to stay in Kathmandu, look no further than the Oasis. Perfect people, perfect food, perfect location, and perfect price! It truly is an Oasis in Thamel, Kathmandu.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a bigger room as I was quite happy with my room!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Located in the heart of Thamel, the central shopping district, Oasis provides the perfect balance of service and support during your travels through Kathmandu! The resturaunt located in the hotel lobby always does a great job preparing safe and savory food! If you are in the area I would recommend this spot to any traveler looking for a hotel that provides expected services some other hotels in the area miss out on (Airport Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, laundry services, excellent showers and front desk service!) After staying in a few hotels in the area, Oasis is by far the greatest bang for your buck!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ty S
TulsiBhatta, Manager at Oasis Kathmandu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Dear Ty S,

Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your experience with other travelers. We are pleased to read that you liked our hotel and it's services. Also we are glad that you found our location convenient. We appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel. We do take pride in catering to our guests' needs the best way we can.

We again would like to welcome you in our hotel in near future.

Warm Regards,