“Overrated!”

Ranked #2 of 170 things to do in Madagascar
More attraction details
Owner description: The amazing landscapes of limestone pinnacles, gorges and pristine forests protect many rare birds, lemurs and reptiles.
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I have been travelling for 3 weeks in Madagascar (which is not that much, but visited several national parks and sights). The Tsingy National park is in my opinion completely overrated. Yes it is UNESCO World heritage and it is uniquie, but for being that famous and rated as a must - see, I found it quite disappointing. The tour was quite exhausting, which I personally do not mind, but you should know, that you have to climb (and I mean climbing, not hiking), you have to crawl through narrow tunnels, climb ladders, cross bridges and all these ways do not follow proper safety regulations - one bridge had loose planks). One in our group panicked because of the ladders and bridges and all the climbing, one got almost at heat stroke (you are for hours in the sun without shadow), the guides do not properly inform you about the different tours, which ones are difficult and which ones are easy. So, if you are not sure-footed and without fear of heights, you should ask in advance about the different tours available and what each tour requires. In my personal opinion, it is not a must-see.

1  Thank Gerti1210
"dry season"
"hanging bridges"
"physical condition"
in 3 reviews
"unesco world heritage site"
"canoe trip"
in 2 reviews
"no idea"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 19 October 2017

It is really hard to reach the Tsingy, it took us almost 2 days by car with worst roads ever. But the visit does really worth it!! An incredible day long hike in the most incredible place on earth.

1  Thank RebeccaFerrant
Reviewed 16 October 2017

The two days we spent at the Tsingy, were some of the most incredible and taxing days we spent in Madagascar. Just viewing the limestone spires is awe-inspiring. Actually being able to climb and hike among them was one of the highlights of our vacation. The Small Tsingy, complete with a canoe trip in the Manambolo River, was a good first day trek to prepare for the Grand Tsingy.

We will never forget climbing in the Grand Tsingy. The safety harnesses we wore insured our safety as we wiggled along crevices, climbed the spires and crossed a suspension bridge. While completely exhausting and very demanding, I never felt unsafe.

Our guides were very special people who insured our safe climbing, so we could enjoy the experience. It was a fun surprise to be greeted by a mongoose during our picnic lunch.

While I was OK without them, I saw some who were wearing climbing gloves which seemed like a good idea. The Tsingy spires are sharp and jagged. My suggestion is go and experience this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Tsingy is a bit remote, but I'm very glad we went there. It was a great end to a three-week trip, and while you might fit it into a two-week trip, if you have less than two weeks you might skip it just because it takes so long to get there and back. The park itself is fantastic. The hike/climb is not that far, but it is fairly strenuous. It doesn't have great technical difficulty -- in fact, I think the park has done a good job of making it accessible for anyone up for a good hike -- but there is a lot of up and down, including ladders, stairs, and a bit of non-technical rock climbing. Anyone in reasonable shape can handle it. It is hot.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2017

To climb the route of Tsingy is not easy, and even difficult for people who are afraid of height. The route is actually not very long, but most parts are vertically going up and down. It is an interesting experience for people who never did rock climbing, and a good opportunity to have this experience as all safety precaution is provided. Nevertheless, it is still very tiring, and exhausting as there is no shade and you need to drink a lot of water. Remember to carry at least 1 liter bottle of water!