“Great and moving walking tour”
Review of Ghana Nima Tours

Ghana Nima Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Tours in Accra
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering days tours of Nima in central Accra & longer trips in Ghana. Acknowledged fixer for Ghana to assist organisations with projects; including educational groups for awards such as DoE (Duke of Edinburgh award). Nima is one of the most impoverished areas in Accra, Ghana. Even though Nima routinely suffers from inadequate provisions of basic facilities, housing, water pipes, electricity, and drainage systems, the community continues to grow. Large number of migrant workers from rural Ghana & neighbouring countries find their way into Nima and make it their home. The beauty about Nima is visible and appreciated in the cultural & religious diversity of the community. Nima is a prime example that people of numerous nationalities can actually co-exist in peace. Experience this and much more in a walking tour lasting two hours! Your Tour Guide was born here & has lived in Nima ever since, experiencing life as a Ghanaian in this impoverished corner of central Accra. It will amaze & enrich you to witness life in Nima. There is so much to learn giving you a wonderful few hours experience of this 'unknown' area of Accra- contact us for a memorable few hours or let us show you the 'real' Ghana from family connections in the Volta region to slave castles in the Central & Western regions; Kente cloth from Ashanti & elephant tracking in the north! We have so much to offer and cater for all ranges of budgets!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We organised a walking tour with Nima tours at short notice during our recent stay in Accra. Our guide was Hamza.He collected us from our hotel and we took a cab to Nima.
It was a wonderful experience. Nima is a poorer area of Accra. During the 2 hour walk we visited the busy market seeing and learning about different products, the local school and mosque and walked through the residential areas.Hamza spoke about the residents, the degree of coexistence of the people,religion and at the end of the tour we visited the compound where he and his grandmother lived.What was moving was the spontaneous warmth and hospitality of the residents and the opportunity to observe as a guest of Hamza an introduction to Ghanaian life.I would highly recommend anyone visiting Accra to make time to visit Nima on this tour.

1  Thank Alan C
"rooftops"
"elmina"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

My guide, Hamza, collected me from my hotel and we drove to the area of Accra known as Nima. En route he pointed out the new mosque built by the Turkish government. He showed me the Catholic Church and adjoining school - Christian and Muslim living harmoniously.
Then we visited the bustling market. Lots to see both familiar and unfamiliar..
Towards the end of the 2 hours Hamza showed me where he and his grandmother lived- sharing meagre accommodation with about 40 others in a compound. Not a trace of self-pity or complaint. Just the facts- eg water not freely available all week.Indeed, it was a humbling experience- so many smiling faces in a poor area of the city. A cliche but true. Notwithstanding witnessing the hardships- it was a truly joyful experience.
Thank you Hamza for sharing your town with me- you are rightly proud of such a resilient community.

2  Thank tripofalifetime16
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Outstanding personal tour guides for Accra and all of Ghana. Hamzah was the guide for both my daughter and I as we visited Ghana from the USA. We first spent the day together going from Accra to Kakum National Park west of Accra in the morning, then the afternoon at Cape Coast castle. Cape Coast was the English slave castle, and it is difficult to put into words the experience. Hamzah was able to navigate us through both of the these events, as well as lunch with authentic Ghanaian food.

Travel with an individual guide was much better, in my opinion, than a large group tour. We took advantage of the local guides in Cape Coast and Kakum as appropriate, and Hamzah got us there in the most efficient manner, allowing us to keep to our schedule and make the most of our trips.

NIma - a section of Accra noted as a landing spot for Ghanaians coming to Accra from the rest of the country - was at once charming and unsettling. I have never been in a place quite like it, and Hamzah was a great guide with his walking tour through the neighborhood. It is a peaceful, but very poor market area, and Hamzah and the residents made us feel welcome. I likely never would've ventured into this market on my own, at best driving by. It was wonderful to see how some Ghanaians live their daily lives, in some ways similar to my other experiences, and in some ways so foreign. For Nima tour, plan on ~ 2 hours or more to enjoy the experience at a leisurely pace.

3  Thank Rajeev G
Reviewed 13 June 2018

The day I spent in Accra with Hamza was very memorable. The trip was organized at very short note thanks to the flexibility of the team. The Nima part gave an impressive introduction into the local lifestyle, and Hamza was very knowledgeable on local food, herbal medicine, and religion. We visited sites that I would not have been able to explore on my own, which I am very thankful for. We also visited other sites in Accra like the Kwame Nkrumah mausoleum and Jamestown. Thanks very much for this experience!

2  Thank Heike S