See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

There are rooms for 25,000 30000 or 35000 if it’s weekend you definitely want to stay only in the 35,000 rooms which are farther from the bars next door. The beach is my favorite in Libreville. The place is expensive as most hotels in Libreville but with the beach it makes my favorite place to stay. They have AC. Restaurant is great but very expensive there are three other cheaper restaurants nearby on the road.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2017

I stayed in Tropicana at the beginning and end of a research joint for university. The location is perfect being on the beach, and the presence of AC was something I was thankful for. However, as other reviewers have mentioned, water supply isn't always guaranteed when showering (even the hot water availability), and the rooms can be quite small.

The restaurant is nice and is not that expensive, which makes it nice to eat there without having to go out that far, plus the place is very close to the airport.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2017

This Hotel was chosen by our tour company as an overnight stay in Libreville on our way to a weeks fishing at Setta Cama, I guess it was chosen for price.
The hotel is very close to the airport so transfer time is short and is located on a beachfront.
The rooms are not good, even by African standards! Thankfully the air conditioning did work.
Based on the state of the rooms I wasn't expecting the food to be up to much but it was good. There were clean white linen tablecloths on the tables, cutlery and glasses were spotless, the food was pretty decent not too pricey and the beers nice and cold. Service was good too.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2017

It is a cool set up. It appears to be a popular tourist place. We went in the afternoon so we missed their evening grilled fish that they are famous for. We did not stay there but from what I walked by I would say that the rooms are more for the college backpacker type who just needs a place to sleep and wants to hang on the beach. For the more sophisticated traveler this is more of a go and eat beach side type of experience.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2017

We were visiting Gabon as a party of 8 men, mainly with Kenyan connections, and we were heading to Iguela Lagoon and the Loango National Park for a nature and fishing safari for 7 nights, Our trip was organised by Patrick Avery and we stayed one night in Libreville on the way in and a night in Libreville on the way out. Patrick had done a bit of research on a previous trip and chosen the Tropicana as our Libreville overnight spot. I think he explained it to me as ".. the only hotel that had a bit of atmosphere, was affordable and acceptable." I would agree with his description and the three "A" rating reflects that!!

The location could not be better - within a stone's throw of the International Airport. It took longer to get into and out of the two taxis with all our luggage than it took to drive to the hotel.

The public areas are tired and dated but very serviceable, The beach is right there and the sea is about 20 metres depending upon the tide. The beer is cold and the menu was quite varied. Prices were quite moderate in my view for the food and beer. The kitchen was right there and there was little evidence of any food safety program in place but our group ate at least four meals each, quite a variety of choices and nobody reported any gastro problems that I was aware of. Breakfast was pretty disappointing in that it seemed to be limited to croissants and jam which subsequently ran out. The coffee was good though.

The rooms were bloody awful really. The "Hotel Amenities" list on TripAdvisor simply states "227 Rooms" and I can only imagine that this a typo or that for some extraordinary reason we missed out seeing 90% of the hotel facilities. I have no idea how many rooms there were but nearer 20 maximum in my opinion from what I saw.

The rooms we used were old, small and with out any extras other than air-conditioning. The beds were old, well used and had earned their keep. The hotel had sporadic water supply so it was a complete gamble as to whether you would be able to have a shower or not.

I lost my trousers and belt during my stay which was a concern - and really quite an odd thing for somebody to pinch - but I maybe have to put it down to all the beer we drank.

The evenings were quite lively on both nights we were there - with a lot of "ladies of the night" plying their trade. They were very well behaved and did not harass us at all once we had made it clear that we were not interested. The place was pretty full with diners who appeared to me to be either oil-rig workers, French military or French businessmen. I did not see anyone else who was obviously a tourist.

Apart from Patrick, who had been taking French lessons in readiness for the trip, no one else in our party spoke much French at all. There was no one in the hotel staff who spoke English so communication was interesting to say the least.

We took quite a long walk south along the beach and there were a number of pretty revolting drainage lines that emptied into the sea. I ended up getting a serious leg infection which I am pretty positive I contacted on this walk through some broken skin I had from a graze. I certainly would not be swimming confidently in the water although I did see a couple of guests going for a swim. Apart from the bacteria, I would be mindful of bull sharks - just their cup of tea in my opinion.

So if you are looking for ambiance, good location, cold drinks and acceptable food and you do not mind sleeping in a tired room with no view or amenities - then Tropicana Resort will suit you perfectly. I don't think any of our group had any complaints and it was pretty good value.

Would I return to Tropicana - it all depends. On a fishing trip with the boys - absolutely. With my wife for a holiday, probably not.

Room Tip: It has been suggested that there are old and new rooms - I assume we had old rooms!
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends