“Omo Valley Tour”

Lungo Local Tour Ethiopia - Day Tours
Reviewed 26 December 2017

I was around with Lungo for the second time always to discover this great and hidden place called Omo Valley. The first time i travelled with Lungo was in march 2016, a four days tour and I managed to come back again to see more of it in november 2017, again for a four days trip. Lungo was a great guide and companion for Omo, he belongs to the Hamer tribe and can guide you "off the beaten track" and the usual touristic path. He helped me communicate with the different tribes sitting around a bonfire in the nights. As a solo female traveller with professional photo equipment I was dependent on safety and well being by his organization and guiding and he made a great job! I never felt in danger! The car was good and the driver was a great guy and managed very well all the difficulties of the non existing roads in Omo. The Valley is far from everything and very far from our consuming society so don't expect big comforts or a relaxing holiday, then you are definitely in the wrong spot. The Omo is like a puzzle you get in touch with, it mainly depends on your sensibility and humanity what you make out of it.
I fully can recommend the experience and the tour organized by Lungo, I met lovely people as drivers, helpers and lots of locals. Thank you Lungo for this unique experience!

Lungo K, Owner at Lungo Local Tour Ethiopia - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear maike
Thank you for choosing lungo local tour Ethiopia for your recent stay. We have read your comments about your experience and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration.

I strongly believe that your recommendation will contribute a great deal towards this result and I am forever grateful for the time and effort you would put in to write the recommendation and Im looking forward to a great learning experience the time we spend together throughout Ethiopia.

Let me make sure I understand that most of my clients saying it is what is most important for them is to reach the most remote villages (as know human zoo...) avoiding touristic situation or fake ceremonies. You need to collect photos videos for a documentary project, so just real life and impressive, strong moments, if possible you'd like to shoot the jumping bull and scarification. For this reason you'd like to stay (for sleeping to) close to village, inside if It's possible, in the way to observe people and interact with them without disturb. The reason I wanted to take you remote village including south west and soth omo was, to try and get far away from the other tourists.

Lungo is special than other tour company in Addis Ababa I don't want to take my client to a village and see many 4x4 trucks, buses, motorbikes and 100 people taking pictures with local people posing for them. And I don't want much harassment from the locals asking me to take the photo when it is my choice. My way of calling it a "Dark Circle" is very much how I feel too. And sadly, it has turned me away from visiting there. So I was hoping to find a more authentic experience. I'm sure you hear this all the time!!

Warm regards

in 6 reviews
"ethiopia"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 18 December 2017

We have been blessed to met Lungo Local Tour. Both Lungo and Adimasu are brilliant; they understand our needs and taylor the organization of the trip to our wishes.
Ourselves, we were travelling with two kids (8 and 19) and really wanted to be safe, and out of toursitical tracks. That is what we got. We have met with incredible people, inhabitants, and stayed in the right hotels.
The drivers and guides were wonderful, at their right position, this for 2 weeks and more than 3 000 kilometers!
We ended up with Erta Ale and Danakil tour, operated by one of their partner, in excellent Safety conditions.
We highly recommend Lungo, Adimasu and their team.
Last but not least, price was highly competitive!
Keep on going guys!
David-Alexandre & Aurélie & Nicolas & Louis-Alexandre, Frend/Moroccan team

Lungo K, Owner at Lungo Local Tour Ethiopia - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Manager lungo
Dear Mr David, Thank you very much for taking your time to write your feedback.

Lungo local tour Ethiopia team would appreciate for your sharing experience during your stay in Ethiopia and we are very happy to hear that from you.

Your contribution help us to work more in non touristic destination.
mg (manager) lungo

Dear my customers,
Much thanks for your review.

I am from one of the tribe in OMO valley and I have spent many years to get Reputation of good name and credibility I have now and as to not destroy this, I don’t want To give less service and leave my clients unsatisfied with the service I gave. Normally I take my gusts off the beaten path. In such kind of villages and attraction you can see the original culture which is not spoiled by the visitors who just hand over money for locals in every step and there will be no hustle. These is why I am different from other local guides and most of tourist interest is to be away from very much touristic (many complain touristic site with so much hustle for photo) as a tour owners all the time I dont stay in the office and most of the time i go on the trip with the guest. Lungo is the owener, a tour operator and local guide From the time you arrive in Ethiopia and until departure. I don’t want to talk on this topic a lot as I have a whiteness of my recent guest. If you would like to know about the price, safty, knowlageble, well organized. Our previous record client review in our website guest book shows that we do that what is best for the client. We are A+ rated by the client and you can cross-check with them directly from our website guest book. We have great customer testimonials and are proud of the work we do for our clients.

Commitment,  Courage, effort
And Perfection. This is how good reputation is made.

WALK WITH US A STEP,
Peoples to meet
Views to gaze
Story's to hear
Cultures to attend
And life's to experience!

Warm regards
Lungo

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Lungo was hired for 2 trips on the assurance of 3 days in Djibouti and an agreed to itinerary.
> Djibouti did not happen and the itinerary for both trips became haphazard at best and at worst, manipulated in order to save money to pay back what we were owed.
> As well as the 3 days lost for Djibouti, 1 1/2 days were lost in Addis "arranging " the trip, and 1 day was taken up with a long tedious drive to get back to our itinerary.
> 11 days into our 20 day northern trip Lungo left us in the hands of the driver for 9 days including the Danakil and Ertale.
> ( the driver did a terrific job and we are happy to pass on his contact)
> Lungo denied responsibility for the failure of the Djibouti trip and his failure to accompany us as per our contract. We did not stop in Aksum, as per itinerary (1 hour at the stelae) and several other designated locations.
He also insisted that we were responsible for the costs involved, travel and driver, which his breach of contract imposed.
> At the start of the southern trip, he agreed to part compensation on the basis that full compensation would mean that HE would make a loss on the trip.
> The southern trip was a bit of a sham with an older poorly equipped vehicle ( we got bogged twice and travelled some very unsafe roads without even a toolbox, with a shovel which needed a pocket-knife screwdriver (mine) to access it and balding road tyres.) We lost sightseeing opportunities due to this poor preparation.
> We had to work hard to get decent accommodation due to the lies we were being fed. The tribal Mersi village was driven past despite an assurance, given as we were driving past (it turns out) that we would be stopping there. ( it further turns out that a sizeable fee needed to be paid). The lies would have meant missing out on a lot more (including the jumping of the bulls)and we had to be very much on the ball using the guide books, local guides and other travellers.
> He promised to pay the balance, including on email, but has not. He is still sending emails continually changing the date of the payment along with the amount he "intends" paying.
>Lungo used trips very much for his own social benefit; much of the time in the car sleeping and was often of little use to us.
We have given Lungo every opportunity to make reparation which he has only used to extend his avoidance and again breaking many reassurances given by him.
These, and many other incidents, have been recorded, in detail, in diaries and through Lungo's own emails and text messages, and are available for review.
Don't use him if you don't want to spend your trip being very suspicious.
Both of us are retired professionals and were initially prepared to pay the extra money for our desired journey.We didn't achieve the contracted itinerary and we lost time and money and had to be constantly alert to Lungo's scheming (esp. in the southern trip- we didn't see that much of him in the north).
Please contact me if you have questions or would like to review any of the documentation,
Robert Logie
rklogie@hotmail.com

Lungo K, Manager at Lungo Local Tour Ethiopia - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

For other readers let me give few introduction!
My name is LUNGO
After I read a million negative review of main touristic destination i decided to create something unique adventure travelling to non touristic destination. I became more successful and all of my clients have been so excited in this service. I have earned more than 120 client testimonials for the last 5 years and you can read that. For more details you can ask me individual client address and I can send it to you.

I was so happy when your 32 days tour end in peace with broken leg.

In October 15-10-2016 as a photopher you have sent me the first tour request for special and unique adventure remote village(non touristic) not being too see other tourist. The tour include SIEMEN MOUNTAIN, ertale, Djibouti and omo Valley. After our 196 email exchange I organised your trip for April 19, 2017 after 7 month email chatting in April 18 when 1 day left to come to Ethiopia you canceled the tour due to health problem that you broke your leg falling from the tree.

I booked 32 days tour to travel in Ethiopia and I made reservation of your holiday when you have 1 day to arrive in Ethiopia you informed me that the tour is cancelled by the time I was depressed and shok. You complain my cancellation of four days but I took the responsibility and stay calm when you canceled 32 days tour with in one day instead of complaining you should ask for apologies to all of my work partners.

For ertale your interest individual with out any group and I did organised that for you

For Omo Valley non touristic remote village. As your request from Addis Ababa until ginka for three days with out seeing any tourist we arrived to ginka in bumpy off road a place where we stack our car and damaged a lot of spare part. Then after ginka we drove to bodi village passing the touristic music village and you where complaining why you miss that. After that I start talking you the most touristic village some times is cancelled human zoo. When they grab you for taking their picture again you start complaining. The local guides and the driver all we understood that it is your behaviour to complain every day.

Our deal 4x4 crueser 120$ per a day plus 20$ lungo guide per a day plus 97$ for
hotel,food,drinkes and entrance fee in total 237$ per a day for two people. In this low budget you refuse staying in camping, cheap hotels and I accepted your interest turned out a better room.

After your cancellation of 32 days tour one month latter you decide to come again with your friend but I could not trust you. I have said I don't want to book your holiday just send me 200$ for two people advance payment only to book the car and the rest booking siemen mountain, ertale and Djibouti would be on arrival then September 13 in one day process we received visa for driver, lungo and for both of you then we start a tour to the north. In September 22 I have got information civil war around eastern region. Imidietly I informed for my client the tour to Djibouti might be cancel. After my apologies i left them in mekele while they are visiting ertale I took a flight to adiss and harar to collect the car permit process and to check the security. Finally I have informed not to take my client in the East region (please check Oromia and somalia conflict between September 25-September 29)

Warning!
As a tour operator i have a responsibility to cancel a tour destination or change the itinerary if and only if there is a civil war or restricted area by Ethiopian government. Before you enter to ertale i gave you warning that a 4 day tour to Djibouti would be cancelled because i heard that around harar to the border of Djibouti were not safe and while you have been visiting ertale I left to Addis Ababa to get permission paper to enter into Djibouti but Ethiopian road authority would not want to take the responsibility due to September 25 oromo and somalia conflict oromo and somalia conflict At least 61 people have been killed in clashes between different ethnic groups in the East Ethiopia Oromia and somalia since September 25 2017
So imidietly I informed for my driver to drive directly to harar not to Djibouti and I informed you that the tour to Djibouti is cancelled and you didn't accept it. This is not my fault.

for that reason your package per a day was 237$ and I refund 948$ a 4 days tour cancellation Djibouti and 152$ lungo guide fee for 7 day. In total I refund 1100$. Regarding this amount refund we discussed and made an agreement after you receive your money in the last day of your departure you start wrote in a piece of paper if you don't pay me compensation 380$ more i will write negative review event hough I tried to send to Australia but Ethiopian banking system would not allowed to send dollars to any abroad countries.

Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention. During this time of period I canceled not only your trip but also the above client reviewer topic "excellent tour operator" Davi_alexandra from casablanca, Morocco becouse The safety and security of our guests is always our top priority. As discussed in our previous conversations, our team has done everything possible—in cooperation with djibouti embasy, Ethiopian road authority, Oromia region Police Department—to investigate your claim. I am so sorry that we have not been able to resolve this and we appreciate your feedback which is very important to improve our work in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2016

Allow me to share my experience with Lungo and his company. Got a little time? ;-)

Being quite experienced with local guides in many parts of the world and having met some good people there, I wanted to max out the fun of the Addis journey as well. So weeks before the journey I contacted about 6 agencies and asked them for a quote for 2 days of driver and guide in Addis to help me getting most of the city attractions visited without being rushed or having a stressful time.

Most of the agencies offered some pretty plain vanilla plans. Seems they all copy&paste from each other, but hey, there is a limited set of attractions in Addis and maybe this is how it is. I also asked for a female or German speaking guide, just to see what's possible. After having received several not so convincing offers, I did not reply for quite some time. Yes, I got pings from most of the agencies checking when/if I eventually wanted to make a decision. But ONLY LUNGO was asking again and again for precise clarification without being too pushy. OK, it was low season but being a Sales Manager myself I really felt his honest approach to close the deal by getting me what I really wanted. When I told him I was on a budget he was flexible and suggested a smaller car instead of the regular 4WD, which was just OK for a city-only tour.

Lungo's offer was NOT THE CHEAPEST ONE (but very reasonable), but I am really happy having decided to give my little business to him. I understand that he mainly does larger tours "into the wild", but this has to remain for a later point in time.

Then the DISASTER struck. Never happened to me before but I was that stupid to confuse the dates. So less than 48 hours before we should have gotten started I had to apologize to Lungo and tell him that we had to postpone everything for one day. I was in PANIC MODE. But Lungo stayed cool (must have hated me in that moment) and fixed my mistake, less than 2 hours later I got an email telling me all was being rescheduled. This may have cost me the German speaking female guide, but luckily the driver Alex and the guide Santa were really great. Not only did they take me to all the attractions agreed but provided additional support like helping me with Geocaching or shopping needs - great guys! Santa told very interesting details and focussed my attention on the important and on the little things too. Also Alex was much more than a pure driver. Quite some time he offered further insight or opinions adding to Santa's topics. I really felt like getting a private tour and some real insights into the local life. Well, as much as you can get in 2 days.

I can strongly recommend Lungo and his team to everybody!

Lungo K, Owner at Lungo Local Tour Ethiopia - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Manager lungo

I am confident that your endorsement in the recommendation letter will greatly increase my chances for a good competition between local tour companies in Ethiopia because you are well-liked and respected, Ethiopian people, the tribal community; I feel that a letter from you would make a significant impact. In addition, you know me personally and are familiar with my skills, experience, and work ethic. You are, therefore, in a key position to write a thorough and honest letter of recommendation for me.

Thank you for glorious letter of recommendation to accompany my job in Ethiopian tourism at [Lungo local tour Ethiopia]. I have always wanted to pursue a career in Ethiopian tourism since I was a child and I am happy to inform you that I have been challenging for good name in the last 13n years. I know it takes a lot of time, energy and effort of you to write recommendation letter, and I appreciate your feedback throughout the process. I will make sure to keep you updated on my progress.

Again and again Thank you I appreciate all the patient during our trip you have given me good advice in the past, and if I can reciprocate this favor, please let me know.
Please feel free to contact me for any additional information at your convenience.
Sincerely.
LUNGO.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2016

In December 2015, I decided to take my mother to Ethiopia as she is a very spiritual woman and what better place to immerse oneself in spirituality than Ethiopia. I heard of Lungo Local Tours through two friends of mine who had previously gone to Ethiopia and used Lungo Local Tours. I trusted their judgement and decided to contact Lungo. When I emailed Lungo of my travel itinerary, he was very prompt and professional in his responses. As the flight from Addis to Lalibela would have costed over $1200 for three people, I decided to travel overland instead. Initially, I thought the amount for three persons was expensive for three days, but in retrospect, it was well worth it. I did not realize how long of a journey it would have been to get to Lalibela, but the experience was one that I will never forget. We were able to see the beautify landscapes as we drove through the mountains, engaged with a family in the Oromo region, and learned about the history of Ethiopia and Lalibela, specifically, as we headed North. Lungo is very knowledgeable and catered to our questions and needs throughout the tour. If you are ever in need of a tour company in Ethiopia, I would definitely recommend Lungo for an authentic experience. Not only did I enjoy myself, but my mother did as well. As a recommendation, bring a lot of pens and/or candy if you decide to drive North as you'll see children running along side your car and all they request are pens. Just ponder on that for a moment. It brought tears to my mom's eyes when she thought about how fortunate and ungrateful we are when people in other parts of the world have less and are still grateful. Thanks again Lungo! You were amazing!

mg (manager) lungo

Dear my customers,
Much thanks for your review.

Commitment,  Courage, effort
And Perfection. This is how good reputation is made.

WALK WITH US A STEP,
Peoples to meet
Views to gaze
Story's to hear
Cultures to attend
And life's to experience!