All reviews taxi ride stay there again two nights airport pickup furniture retreat accommodation addis guesthouses driver birr compound
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I lived in Ethiopia for a few years before coming back for a month-long visit, during which I stayed at Abbaba's Villa. It's the best guest house you can find in Addis, not least because of Eyerusalem, the gracious and lovely owner. I felt so completely nurtured by her and her staff. We often had lunch or dinner together, and she is so generous with her time and stories and deep knowledge about the country. The guesthouse itself is clean and beautifully adorned with historical and family pictures, as well as traditional and contemporary Ethiopian artwork and photography. There are many helpful tourist and historical books on the several coffee tables in the large living room as well. The grounds are gorgeous - I often watched an array of birds in the gardens over breakfast outside, and awoke to the quiet sounds of the church down the road. The chef, Worke, creates delightful Italian, European, and traditional Ethiopian foods, and her food is some of the best I've had in Addis. There's wireless internet, and you can catch a minibus into the downtown from close by the guesthouse. I'm so grateful for my time here.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank l0rraine7
Reviewed 21 June 2014

A group of us had lunch here and the food was organic, fresh and delicious. It was beautifully served and we enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel and would love to go back and stay for a week. The owner and her staff were kind and helpful. The art and decor are modern and unique yet it has an ease and elegance to it that makes you want to sit and stay for a long time.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Mandystg999
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Abbaba's Villa during a 5 day trip to Ethiopia. We were there to visit our Compassion Sponsor child, but also spent time exploring Addis and chatting to the staff and other guests at Abbaba's Villa. The owner and her staff are extremely lovely and very helpful. Each morning we ate a delicious breakfast outside, and we often ate dinner there too which was just US$5. The villa is not right in the city at all, so make sure you give your driver directions, however it's such a nice, peaceful spot where you feel relaxed and out of the hustle and bustle. The rooms are clean and basic, and very comfortable, and you'll love sitting in the main living room which is beautifully adorned with Ethiopian art. There are even some pet tortoises in the backyard. We felt extremely safe here and very well looked after. I would definitely recommend Abbaba's Villa to anyone visiting the area. Just lovely! :)

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Naomi J
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Abbaba's Villa is a perfect first introduction to Ethiopia. The place is beautiful and Eyo, the owner, is so helpful with everything and anything one may need. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. I couldn't ask for a better place as a female traveler getting my feet wet in Ethiopia. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights in total at the beginning and end of my trip. I'm sure there is nowhere quite like this in Addis: beautiful, atmospheric old villa full of Ethiopian artefacts and a lovely terrace and garden. It reminded me of being in a Parisian apartment belonging to an art collector. I ate there every evening and found the food to be delicious and the portions were enormous. You can help yourself to drinks from an honesty bar system.

The owner was not there during my stay and there was some confusion a about the bill as I had been quoted 65 dollars for one person and then the staff wanted to charge me 75 dollars. I think this price is a little high for the location and that it should include a light tidying of your room every day eg emptying the bin in the bathroom. The hotel is out of the main centre but it is very easy to get a minibus to Arat Kilo for about 4 birr. The road into town is under construction and so I found it difficult to persuade any taxi driver to take me back to the hotel. As I was on my own, I did not want to be going around Addis on the bus in the dark and so I chose to eat at the hotel every night which wasn't a problem for a short stay. The owner did give me a number for the house taxi when I sent her an e mail and was always quick to respond.

The staff are very helpful eg Tesfaye went and bought me a mobile SIM card and set it all up for me as well as walking me to the minibus stop when I went out for the first time. I felt very secure as a female lone traveller.

Overall a lovely hotel and something quite special for Addis. It's very nice just to sit and relax in the garden if you are tired at the end of your trip. I would definitely stay there again. However it is a bit out of the centre so if you have lots to do in town or want to go out at night all the time then you may be better off somewhere else.

Date of stay: January 2014